IP filtering?

IP filtering?

Postby giorgos67 » Aug 25th, '12, 20:51

Hi! :D

Is it possible to install some ip filtering package on Mageia?
Iplist, moblock, peer guardian for linux or something similar?

Is there anything similar on repositories or was someone succesfull on compiling any ip filtering program on Mageia?
If I'm not wrong, iplist was on Mandriva repositories, but I can't see it here.
Any suggestions?
giorgos67

Re: IP filtering?

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 26th, '12, 16:29

Any special purpose, maybe filesharing? Some programs have already built-in features for that, f.ex. in Transmission you can just give your blocklist and it will do the rest.

Otherwise, like in any linux, you can use shorewall/iptables for filtering of ip adresses.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby giorgos67 » Aug 26th, '12, 20:58

THANKS Doc for your help!!! :D

Indeed I already use in temporary basis, Azureus which is supporting (as the most of today's clients) ip filtering.
But this is not the ideal solution, because someone can bypass the client's filtering and connect outside of it.
And of cource this way of ip filtering is possible only at the torrenting time.

I think ip filtering is better to be based on OS level.

I totally forgot Shorewall! :D
It's a really good piece of software but it's a bit complex to setup the initial configuration and the most problematic point at my opinion is that it's difficult to monitor it at real-time (for permitting or denying a connection).
I can't install and confgure it at my friends system and tell them to use it.
It's hard to use for novice users! :(

PS. And Webmin never worked properly here. :(

THANKS AGAIN for your help!!! :)
giorgos67

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 26th, '12, 21:45

So basically what you want is an software firewall which blocks outbound connections as they come?
If it would only be about http/https/ftp/... then maybe the best thing would be to setup a proxy, squid f.ex.

Otherwise, there was some program like you describe, but it's not developed anymore since 6 years: http://tuxguardian.sourceforge.net/
And IIRC it cannot distinguish between childs of a given process, i.e. if you allow Java to connect, then every program using Java can connect freely.

Maybe take a look at the following programs:
firestarter

or those concepts (none of which are easily available on Mageia, and difficult to configure and work with as a user in general):
AppArmor
RSBAC
SELinux
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby giorgos67 » Aug 27th, '12, 03:33

I've tested almost all these programs, before 3-4 years (I was using Kubuntu at the time), when I was making my first steps on Linux, in order to get myshelf a bit more familiar with my new OS.
Most of them don't have binary packages and they don't exist in repositories.
Worse than that, their sources can't even get compiled with modern versions of gcc.
Alas! They're abandoned. They're history. :(

Nowadays I've switched to Debian (stable), because....ehm.....it's stable. :D
After a lot of research, I made the conclusion that the 2 best ip filtering packages (for me), are: 1) iplist - ipblock (gui) and 2) peer guardian - moblock (gui).
Peer Guardian has DEB installers at repositories, while someone can download iplist DEB installer from SF.NET.
Both are in active development.

I tried Mageia, because I search for an easy to use distro, in order to install it at my friends Windows systems.
Debian is really good, but it has a slooow setup (over an hour) and demands a lot of tweaking from me, before I can pass it to the end user for every day's use.
On the other hand, Mageia is excellent!!!

If I can make a request, for being 100% perfect, please consider putting one of these ip filtering packages at the repositories.
I think they're critical for torrent users (and not only for them).

Once again, THANKS for your help and congrats for your work!!!
Mageia is amazing!!! ;)
giorgos67

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 27th, '12, 21:15

giorgos67 wrote:If I can make a request, for being 100% perfect, please consider putting one of these ip filtering packages at the repositories.

You can make the request: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_repor ... ge_request
----
doktor5000

Return to Networking