Anyone in here using a Cisco router that auto updated?

Anyone in here using a Cisco router that auto updated?

Postby zxr250cc » Jul 1st, '12, 00:47

I followed a link from /. and was reading in the CISCO router user forum site about some of their routers that auto updated to a new firmware version that expects you to log into the CLOUD to control the router. To avoid doing that you have to unplug the router from the Internet when you wish to log into it to do maintenance. Even when you do that they have apparently removed some of the controls that were formerly there. Some of the users have demanded a previous firmware version and flashed their routers back a release level but are now being left with no future support from Cisco, it seems. There is a real verbal sh*t storm going on about this in Cisco user forums. I have thought they made nice stuff but I won't be looking at any of them to buy after seeing this.

Anyone affected in here? What have you been able to do to get around this? It is very strange that they would choose to make their user base in the professional administrator area of industry so mad. :shock: (Yes, I still like the little bugged out eyes in this emoticon.)

Cheers,

gcd
'We live in the best of all possible worlds!'
Candide (Voltaire)
zxr250cc

Re: Anyone in here using a Cisco router that auto updated?

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 1st, '12, 14:48

Are you only talking about enduser routers (formerly known as Linksys) or also about the enterprise-grade equipment they offer?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby zxr250cc » Jul 1st, '12, 15:49

Hi,

I think it was Linksys related but not sure. I have not looked at the model numbers mentioned on line to see if they are normal Cisco or Linksys models. I do know from my own experience that many small offices use consumer grade wifi gear in their offices to save money on gear.

gcd
Candide (Voltaire)
zxr250cc

Postby wintpe » Jul 1st, '12, 18:23

i think if they did that to the corporate users, it would be a "come and collect your kit" situation.

Personally, the pro kit seems to be the business, but when it comes to home/lab equipment
i use Zytel switches and adsl routers, dlink wireless access points (the tplink ones are also quite good)

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby zxr250cc » Jul 2nd, '12, 15:18

Here is a more recent link to the problem they are having:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/02 ... _for_some/

Cheers,

gcd
Candide (Voltaire)
zxr250cc

Return to Networking