[SOLVED] DNS/Browsing problem!

[SOLVED] DNS/Browsing problem!

Postby linuxero » Jun 17th, '12, 17:38

Hi folks;

Today has appeared a rare problem for me when browsing the Internet; sometimes when I am googleing an error message pops up saying error searching tlds.sy, .sy domain not found and things that have to do with .sy

My computer name is linuxeros.sy..a name that I am used to give to this particular computer in any distro.. I made sure that the option of domain searching in MCC configuration is blank.

Is there any idea about this problem?

Thanks
Last edited by linuxero on Jun 24th, '12, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
linuxero

Re: DNS/Browsing problem!

Postby timosch » Jun 18th, '12, 01:57

you wonder that Syrian Domains sometimes have problems?
try to use a FREE and NOT censored DNS Server, search at google, u´ll find some good ;)
timosch

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 18th, '12, 20:22

Please show your /etc/resolv.conf and your /etc/hosts
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby linuxero » Jun 23rd, '12, 11:54

timosch wrote:you wonder that Syrian Domains sometimes have problems?

Thank you but it's nothing to do with syrian domains..even though .sy belongs to Syria, in my installation however it is something else..

@doktor5000

/etc/resolv.conf
Code: Select all
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 156.154.71.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8

/etc/hosts
Code: Select all
# generated by drakconnect
127.0.0.1 linuxeros.sy linuxeros
127.0.0.1 localhost

This has always been the same in Mandriva, Mageia 1 and now..

Thanks
linuxero

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 24th, '12, 11:08

OK, can you please be more specific about the problem described in your first post?
What did you google for (or at least give something that we can use to try to reproduce this behaviour) and please post the exact error message which your browser gives.
Furthermore, which browser are you using?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby linuxero » Jun 24th, '12, 15:50

doktor5000 wrote:OK, can you please be more specific about the problem described in your first post?
What did you google for (or at least give something that we can use to try to reproduce this behaviour) and please post the exact error message which your browser gives.
Furthermore, which browser are you using?

I am using Mageia 2's Firefox.

The problem seems to have disappeared..

How to reproduce:

You know that when you key in something in google a list of suggestions starts to show up.. I was trying to google for drae, mtailounie, dictionary and normal searches..doing so gave me an error page of something that has to do with tlds and tlds.sy domain! I couldn't google or navigate..

This lasted for about an hour or so..

Could it be due to my ISP?
linuxero

Postby timosch » Jun 24th, '12, 17:04

indeed
could be due to ur ISP, thats why i said use a free DNS Server who isnt censored , thats lately mostly the reason .... censored dns blocks......
u dont need to setup a own dns/bind server, if u want, not the badest idea bec ur own could work as a caching dns server whats mostly ALOT faster than the slowly crap isp´s offer, or.... standalone and download (with luck it works) directly from a root server, this solution is not loved by the isp´s bec they have no chance to block all this what they name "unwanted content and domains" ;)
And dont be surprised that google does censoring as well, its google ;)
timosch

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 24th, '12, 17:31

If you don't post the full error message with more context, hard to tell.
----
doktor5000

Postby linuxero » Jun 24th, '12, 19:59

@timosch
I actually had my own DNS server set up on Mageia 1, I never had a problem then, but with this installation I haven't set it up...yet ;)

@doktor5000
I know it's hard to tell without the full error message, but since it was a page that Firefox showed I didn't think much of it..maybe I should have copied the page shown :O

Thank you again guys, you're awesome
linuxero

Re: [SOLVED] DNS/Browsing problem!

Postby timosch » Jun 24th, '12, 21:06

ask me by PN (not public pls) if u want/need some nice "neigbour" dns server for ur hopefully soon again own Bind-Baby ;)

@Doktor
all he said is pointing exactly to this reason => dns censoring, no need for a complete dns cache log, its a well know problem/secret ^^
timosch

Postby marja » Jun 25th, '12, 09:10

timosch wrote:@Doktor
all he said is pointing exactly to this reason => dns censoring, no need for a complete dns cache log, its a well know problem/secret ^^

Hi Timosch,

Your replies in this thread amazed me

You started of by not reading linuxero's first post correctly and by jumping to a conclusion. That can happen, nobody is perfect, but then:

You kept sticking to that conclusion, despite receiving information that proved you had misinterpreted the first post.

You don't respect the fact that doktor5000, by far the best helper we have, thinks it is too early for a conclusion and more information is needed.

Next time you see doktor5000 asks for more information, please step back and don't interfere. He has helped thousands of users in several fora, he is very much respected here for his knowledge, experience and all the work he has done for Mageia.

Cheers,
marja
marja

Postby timosch » Jun 25th, '12, 11:42

Hi marja, yes i know Doktor is a great helper, i said a while before, not in this thread, he is doing great work.

The other lil problem of linuxero, well when u fight day by day with such problems, u smell it and dont need alot info´s but just point to the possible reasons and solving the problem , sometimes its easy, isnt it?
and i bet, linuxero had as well in mind "could be due to some still missing dns stuff" once u unjailed dns, the world is full of colors ;)
timosch

Postby marja » Jun 25th, '12, 12:14

timosch wrote:Hi marja, yes i know Doktor is a great helper, i said a while before, not in this thread, he is doing great work.

The other lil problem of linuxero, well when u fight day by day with such problems, u smell it and dont need alot info´s but just point to the possible reasons and solving the problem , sometimes its easy, isnt it?

Good that you talk about "possible" reason here.

TBH, I "smelled" something different than you, I thought that linuxero's problem was caused by him using a dot in his hostname, because the dot is meant to be domainname divider, and undoubtedly others would have "smelled" other possible causes.

In my opinion, the threads in our forum would soon become very confusing if everybody would tell what he "smells". There are often too many different possibilities. You and I often won't be aware of all those different possiblities, so nothing wrong if you or I come up with what we honestly think is the solution to someone's problem.

However, the moment doktor5000 pitches in, you and I should step back. When he asks for more information, it is certain that the supplied information is insufficient to know what caused the problem.

Cheers,
marja
marja

Postby timosch » Jun 25th, '12, 13:35

oh i agree, sometimes the smell is as well bad , no?
timosch

Postby isadora » Jun 25th, '12, 13:41

Teasing-time is over now!!!
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby timosch » Jun 25th, '12, 13:49

agree ^^
lets do again this we do best, get the daemon working ;)
Problem is solved, so lets help another poor soul
timosch

Postby linuxero » Jun 26th, '12, 10:22

marja wrote:TBH, I "smelled" something different than you, I thought that linuxero's problem was caused by him using a dot in his hostname, because the dot is meant to be domainname divider, and undoubtedly others would have "smelled" other possible causes.

Just to be sure I understand this well; am I not supposed to use a dot in my host name!!? If I call it localhost.localdomain, would this be a mistake?

Then again; what does my host name have to do with browsing Internet when I am not asking the system to resolve hosts within my domain! (I hope I put it right :))

Thanks again..
linuxero

Postby linuxero » Jun 29th, '12, 18:21

Now I kind of figured it out!

It seems to be my mistake and some firefox configuration..but I still can use some help :)

I just typed youtube in the location bar of Firefox and the attached screen is what I got..Firefox is trying to search youtube.sy instead of youtube.com

Thank you again guys :)
Attachments
error.png
error.png (52.73 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
linuxero

Postby linuxero » Jul 9th, '12, 18:14

The same problem is back when searching rae in google!!
linuxero

Return to Networking