Can't mount share permanently

Can't mount share permanently

Postby TabletHater » Feb 28th, '12, 20:12

To permanently mount a (Western Digital) network share I've added this line to my /etc/fstab:

//192.168.2.149/public /home/burak/Shares cifs username=username,password=password,netdev,uid=burak,rw 0 0

And I've entered this command in terminal:

Code: Select all
su
mount -a

But after some time the network drive goes to sleep and I can't wake it up or mount it by Dolphin. Clementine alike can't load the music library, as my audio files are in that share. I need to "mount -a" every time. Can anyone help?
Last edited by TabletHater on Mar 15th, '12, 23:30, edited 2 times in total.
TabletHater

Re: Can't mount share permanently

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 29th, '12, 11:37

What harddrive is inside there, do you know that? Maybe a Caviar Green?
I think this is the result of internal energy saving settings to that harddrive, but you need to give more information about the drive.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby TabletHater » Feb 29th, '12, 13:22

Hi good Doktor. It's WD My Book World Edition II External 2TB NAS -- WD Caviar Green drives.

Previously, back in buntus I would
Code: Select all
install samba smbfs

and then add this line to the /etc/fstab file
//192.168.2.149/public /home/burak/Shares smbfs username=username,password=password 0 0

This would work. The only annoyance was that there was a delay in opening the file browser, as it would wake up/mount the drive every time as well.

So should I go back to the previous method? If so, what is the Mageia version of smbfs package?
TabletHater

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 29th, '12, 14:29

Well, smbfs is deprecated in favor of cifs: http://www.samba.org/samba/smbfs/

But that should have nothing to do with the internal energy management of the drive itself.
Seems ubuntu did workaround this somehow. You may want to read something like
http://www.ngohq.com/news/19805-critica ... -hdds.html
which also points to the corresponding WD knowledgebase article.

Maybe it would be a good idea to directly hook that drive to your box and look
after that S.M.A.R.T. data if you're affected.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby TabletHater » Feb 29th, '12, 21:37

Thank you again Doktor. This network problem has almost driven me crazy. Music players had difficulty building a library located in the network drive. I had spent a few hours for nfs method as well and it seemed impossibly complicated to enable it in that damned WD drive. Finall I had found the above solution, but it's not available now. Great! Guess the easiest way is to "mount -a" after every wake-up of the computer. Or, if possible, I'll try to utilise autokey or actionaz for that.
TabletHater

Postby TabletHater » Feb 29th, '12, 23:23

Doktor, the problem seems to occur after the computer goes to sleep. That is, the computer wakes, but the network share remains unmounted. Once I mount it by "mount -a" even if it goes to sleep mode, it can be woken up/mounted by Dolphin, e.g. unles the computer itself goes to sleep mode as well in the meantime. Does that say something to you?
TabletHater

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 1st, '12, 12:55

Well, in the original post it says "after some time" now if you say this only happens after suspend, this is a whole lot different.
Could you please reword that last post? What happens if you just let the computer run, is the network share accessible the whole time
and if it goes to sleep, what do you usually do and what's the actual result and the expected result?
----
doktor5000

Postby TabletHater » Mar 1st, '12, 13:05

Sorry, I'd made a change in the meantime in the fstab. Anyway, I've just worked it out: System Settings - Energy Saving Settings, ticked Run Script and entered "mount -a"; "Run script On Profile Load". I'm grateful for your help and patience.
TabletHater

Postby TabletHater » Mar 15th, '12, 23:31

No, I couldn't work it out, neither in KDE nor in LXDE, but this is now in another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2080
TabletHater

Return to Networking