Unable to mount remote shares (ciffs), in Mga8

Unable to mount remote shares (ciffs), in Mga8

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 6th, '21, 06:23

As a consequence of an unexplained problem in Mga7 with encfs, I've installed, as an update Mga8, to see if this solves the problem. unfortunately there seems to be a problem, now, with mounting external shared drives. There has always been a problem with mounting external drives for many years, but a manual approach has always worked This nentails creating a mount entry in /etc/fstab, and a complementary credentials file in /etc/samba. Mounting, using these files fails with an error message
Code: Select all
unable to apply new capability set
. The remote sharing facility i MCC still does not apper to work, any more than it has always done, so I'm a bit lost as to how to go forward, on this This was an update from Mga7 and not a new install
Last edited by isadora on Jul 6th, '21, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved into appropriate sub-forum
rodgoslin

Re: Unable to mount remote shares (ciffs), in Mga8

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 6th, '21, 17:35

And we should probably magically figure this out remotely, without you providing the actual fstab entry or some details about the CIFS shares e.g. which CIFS version they support or similar ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 6th, '21, 23:26

Ah. I would have thought that a cauldron stirring wizard, such as yourself, would have magically known the salient facts of the case. However, in this case, the machine is running cifs 6.9, release 6.2.mga7. The entry in /etc/fstab, is the same as I have been using for some years. The machine in question has not yet been setup fully, so the fstb I'm forwarding to you is that from this machine, identical in all ways to the one on the machine, relative to the shares, save that I'd only setup two of the four NAS units.
Code: Select all
//drobo-a/Public /mnt/Public cifs uid=rod,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.drobo-a.droboman,gid=xxx,uid=xxx 0 0
//drobo-b/Public /mnt/Public2 cifs credentials=/etc/samba/auth.drobo-b.droboman,gid=xxx,uid=xxx 0 0
//drobo5n2/Public /mnt/Public3 cifs credentials=/etc/samba/auth.drobo5n2.droboman,gid=xxx,uid=xxx 0 0
//synserver/Public /mnt/Public4 cifs  vers=3.0,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.synserver.rodmin,gid=xxx,uid=xxx 0 0
What I was fishing for, in my original post, was the reason for Mga8 not accepting a command line which has worked well for a good number of years. I did point out (twice) that this was an update rather than a new install, and logically the entry in fstab, would have been the original, working command, which I could hav amended, if only I had known what the changes were.
rodgoslin

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 7th, '21, 17:44

If you have used that entry for years only increases the probability that this might need to be adapted to new circumstances due to upstream changes.

For the error message in the OP, this either happens when you try to mount a CIFS share in a docker container and didn't add proper capabilities to the docker container.

Or the other case is after a change in libcap-ng last year cifs-utils needed to be fixed: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/68963?p ... =libcap-ng / https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1962920
We have the patch for that in cifs-utils so that should not be the issue. But in most cases this only meant that "unable to apply new capability set" is displayed as an error, but the mount did not fail.
As you didn't provide any output from your mount attempts and how it looked afterwards, can't tell.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 7th, '21, 21:28

Doktor, you do not seem to be reading my submissions. I did say that before the update, mounting gave me no trouble. The mount worked every time I booted the machine. The problem came ONLY after I had completed the upgrade, which, in itself gave no problems. As to not giving you the output from my mount attempts. The only output, as I put in my submission, specially put in a CODE entry, was " unable to apply new capability set". How it looked afterwards, was that none of the mountable objects were mounted. The particular inference that I got was that the error message referred to 'new capability set', implying that it was new for Mga8, since the problem had not arisen until the Mga8 update jad been installed.
rodgoslin

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 7th, '21, 21:48

Perhaps I should add. The machine, in question, was only a few months old, having beeen bought to evaluate the new (to me) quality of having full SSD storage. I had, initially intended to load Mga5, but, unfortunately Mga5 has no ability to run from SSD, being after it's time. I then installed, from scratch, Mga7, which worked perfectly, and by inference was fully up-to-date with updates in the normal fashion. There was no problem with mounting NAS units at any time before the update to Mga8, right up to the time that the MGA8 update was installed. There were no indications during the install, of any problems, until the initial re-boot indicated that the mount had failed. Mounting, subsequently has been a total failure by any means, auto or manual, to mount these drives. A very minor point. Drobo NAS units, in common with many others, becomes dormant when not accessed, and require some time to 'spin-up' before becoming active. Very occasionally on boot-up, the unit will fail to mount, the boot sequence having moved on. This is a common thing goiing back a number of years. Whilst beig an inconvenience, it merely requires a manual mount under 'root', which always works, and the problem is solved. If I have something that works, all the time and every time, and after a change works none of the time, all the time, I tend to assume that the change is the problem.
rodgoslin

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 7th, '21, 22:49

rodgoslin wrote:Doktor, you do not seem to be reading my submissions.

Interesting attitude.

I definitely read it, but it does not provide sufficient information. You only mentioned that mounting fails, but did not show the output for that, so one can only assume.
I only told you the common error scenarios for the error message you posted. Not sure what your problem is with that.
----
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 7th, '21, 23:10

The return on the comman, under root, of 'mount -a' results ONLY in " unable to apply new capability set". Since that is the only return, I can add no more.
rodgoslin

Postby kajosim » Jul 8th, '21, 10:45

Hi

If possible you could try installing Mga8 from scratch.
kajosim

Return to Networking