strange behaviour of encfs

strange behaviour of encfs

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 5th, '21, 23:47

Some time ago, I installed encfs, with some idea of running a password database on it. Currently the database runs on an old Psion netBook which only rarely is connected to the 'net'. The encfs application still has some files on it, and is on a NAS unit for access to all my devices. Today, in booting up a seldom used machine running Mga7, it caught my eye, as having no files on it, despite the holding directory being mounted. Coincidentally there was also a notice that support for Mga7 had ceased. Surprisingly early, I thought. Curious as to why the files were no loger accesible, I booted up another, more often used laptop, also running Mga7. here, all was well, all files visible, as they should be. But, some time later, mysteriously, all the files disappeared. Running 'mount' showed that the 'active' directory was still mounted, and I could unmount and mount as normal. For those with no experience of encfs, ther are two directories involved. One holds the files in an encrypted form. When mounted all files are decrypted and displayed in the mounted directory. On close down only the re-encrypted files remain. Another curious thing. On the laptop, the files did not disappear a the same time. My favoured file manager, Konquror was the first to lose the files, but could still be viewed in Dolphin, and in a console by listing the directory, but, later these files, too, were not visible. Fortuantely, my Mga version of choice Mga5 still works as normal. I find it most curious that the loss of functionallity of encfs should closely follow the final update of these machines. I suppose I could update the seldom used machine to Mga8, and see if the functionality returns.
Last edited by isadora on Jul 6th, '21, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved into appropriate sub-forum
rodgoslin

Re: strange behaviour of encfs

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 6th, '21, 06:09

Unfortunately that measure was anot a success. Not from the possibility of once more having a working encfs system. But from the system for mounting (ciffs) the remote NAS units, no longer works. I've been using the same, or nearly the same procedure, through most of the Mandriva years, and all of the Mageia years, but it no longer functions. manually mounting the two NAS units that are setup in the machine, simply return an error meaasge "Unable to apply new capability set". Nothing in MCC seems to meet the reqiirements, nor is there any advice as to wht the 'new capability set, is or does. i shall take out another ticket to see what the reponses are.
rodgoslin

Re: strange behaviour of encfs

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 7th, '21, 00:03

Further to my earlier posts. I note that an important function within encfs, gnome-encfs-manager is missing from the package listing. This is a most important thing from the viewpoint of using encfs, providing for the mounting, unmounting, and decryption of all files within the encrypted file directory. I'm not sure how encfs can be used without this important function.
rodgoslin

Return to Networking