Network band preference or priority (SOLVED)

Network band preference or priority (SOLVED)

Postby adhefe » Jun 14th, '21, 20:26

Hi,

I have a router that provides wifi in 2 frequencies: 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
It may happen that sometimes one of these two are out.
I would like to define a list of priorities as 5GHz first and 2.4GHz second.
How to do this? It would be nice if it was possible to at least define the most preferable wifi...

Thanks
Last edited by adhefe on Jun 18th, '21, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
adhefe

Re: Network band preference or priority

Postby sturmvogel » Jun 14th, '21, 21:25

If you are using networkmanager https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Switching_to_networkmanager, you can open the network settings with a right click on the icon. There you are able to set priorities for your wireless networks.

OR

In networkcenter from MCC, chose your Wifi adapter -> chose the wifi you want to configure -> configure -> scroll completly down to the end -> click advanced -> search for priority
sturmvogel

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 14th, '21, 22:59

Well, the problem is that in this case 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are for the same network which is saved under the same SSID.
AFAICT you cannot directly influence that, and you'd probably need to edit wpa_supplicant.conf directly, cf. https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... sing-bssid

@adhefe: But I don't understand the issue here, if the same router provides 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, and one does not work, then your client should reconnect to the other one. If it doesn't then that is a limitation either for the router or in your client's firmware / wifi driver.
You'd need to post logs from a specific example where this happens, so that we could check why your client doesn't reconnect to the other band.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby adhefe » Jun 15th, '21, 04:57

Thanks for the replies,

Sturmvogel,
I prefer network manager and I'll give it a try in Mageia 8.

Doktor5000,

I've been somewhat short in the report. I have one router, two frequencies, and sometimes one of the frequencies have problems. The laptop automatically changes to the other frequency, but the cell phone keeps trying to change to the 5GHz if this is the frequency that is out. When the problem with the 5GHz band is solved the cell phone changes immediately, the laptop doesn't. It takes time before it finally decides to change back to the 5GHz and some instabilities may occur. Then, I thought it could be helpful to give the 5GHz a priority so as to avoid interruptions in the internet during meetings.

Thanks again.
adhefe

Postby sturmvogel » Jun 15th, '21, 07:21

doktor5000 wrote:Well, the problem is that in this case 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are for the same network which is saved under the same SSID.

For this reason (and to distinguish between the two networks) i have named them differently: one has the appendix "2.4" and the other one "5". Now it should work to set the priority in the networkmanager, because it looks like 2 completely different wifi networks with different names.
sturmvogel

Postby adhefe » Jun 16th, '21, 03:49

I did it too. After renaming I could noticed that even without network manager the 5GHz is automatically selected if it is stable.
What happened here was that the internet provider sent an update to the router and it made the 5GHz network unstable. Then, Mageia 8 avoided it systematically and I misinterpreted it as if there was a kind of prioritization of the 2.4Hz one...
Last edited by isadora on Jun 16th, '21, 09:26, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed quote
adhefe

Postby isadora » Jun 16th, '21, 09:28

Please, don't forget to mark the topic [SOLVED].
You can do so, by editing the subject/title in the first message in this topic.
Write [SOLVED] to the left of subject/title, thanks ahead. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Return to Networking