SOLVED: Always connecting

SOLVED: Always connecting

Postby pccobbler » Mar 17th, '21, 02:21

I first saw this behavior on a different distribution (Sparky Linux), so it's possible it's a hardware issue with my laptop.

I built a Mageia 8 MATE system today. I'm still working through everything, but there's one annoyance with networking. I connect via wireless, which appears to communicate fine, but the icon on the taskbar shows a red circle with a slash through it at lower-left. When I place the cursor over it, the tooltip text is "Connecting..."

On the aforementioned Sparky Linux system, I eventually uninstalled the network manager (Wicd Network Manager) and installed the usual Network Manager, which I believe hails from GNOME.

Any suggestions?

P.S. It's probably important to note that this is old (2013) hardware with Intel 3rd Generation Core processor. And the system is running via an SSD mounted in a USB external enclosure.
Last edited by pccobbler on Mar 18th, '21, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
pccobbler

Re: Always connecting

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 17th, '21, 18:20

pccobbler wrote:On the aforementioned Sparky Linux system, I eventually uninstalled the network manager (Wicd Network Manager) and installed the usual Network Manager, which I believe hails from GNOME.

I'd recommend to also try that the same way here. Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5782
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Always connecting

Postby pccobbler » Mar 18th, '21, 18:05

Thanks for the reply and thanks especially for the link to that thread.
pccobbler

Return to Networking