[SOLVED] NFS share not mounting correct size

[SOLVED] NFS share not mounting correct size

Postby mark9117 » Jan 4th, '21, 00:48

Greetings and Happy New Year.

I've rebuilt my home theater PC again and I'm having trouble with one of the nfs shares on that machine. I'm trying to mount an NFS share on my desktop. I can mount the share successfully, but it shows a tiny partition size when mounted. Here are some details. Both machines are running Mageia 7.

The partition in question (/mnt/expo) is empty. I've deleted and recreated/reformatted it as an ext 4 partition several times. The partition itself seems fine.

The partition next to it (/mnt/tvfiles) has been successfully mounted. It also gave me the same trouble - only mounted a percentage of the partition. I deleted and recreated it which solved the trouble. It's just not working on the partition in question.

The partition on the server look like this under the "df" command:
Code: Select all
[root@pvr /mnt]# df
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
.....(Irrelevant stuff deleted here)
/dev/sda10            336G   69M  319G   1% /mnt/tvfiles
/dev/sda11            351G   69M  333G   1% /mnt/expo

The size of /dev/sda11 (/mnt/expo) is as it should be.

Exports on the server look like this:

root@pvr /mnt]# cat /etc/exports
# generated by drakhosts.pl
/mnt/burbank *(no_all_squash,async,secure,no_subtree_check,rw)
/mnt/cineplex *(no_all_squash,async,secure,no_subtree_check,rw)
/mnt/downtown *(no_all_squash,async,secure,no_subtree_check,rw)
/mnt/imax *(no_all_squash,async,secure,no_subtree_check,rw)
/mnt/fox *(no_all_squash,async,secure,no_subtree_check,rw)
/mnt *(no_all_squash,async,secure,no_subtree_check,rw)
/mnt/tvfiles *(no_root_squash,no_all_squash,async,secure,no_subtree_check,rw)
/mnt/expo *(no_all_squash,async,secure,no_subtree_check,rw)

The shares from the HTPC (pvr) are mounted on the client in fstab thus:
[root@spike pvr]# cat /etc/fstab|grep pvr
pvr:/mnt/burbank /mnt/pvr/burbank nfs nosuid,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 0 0
pvr:/mnt/cineplex /mnt/pvr/cineplex nfs wsize=8192,rsize=8192,nosuid,soft 0 0
pvr:/mnt/downtown /mnt/pvr/downtown nfs nosuid,wsize=8192,rsize=8192,soft 0 0
pvr:/mnt/expo /mnt/pvr/expo nfs wsize=8192,rsize=8192,nosuid,soft 0 0           <-- Expo
pvr:/mnt/fox /mnt/pvr/fox nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nosuid,soft 0 0
pvr:/mnt/imax /mnt/pvr/imax nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nosuid,soft 0 0
pvr:/mnt /mnt/pvr/mnt nfs wsize=8192,nosuid,rsize=8192,soft 0 0
pvr:/mnt/tvfiles /mnt/pvr/tvfiles nfs nosuid,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 0 0   <-- Same hdd, different part

None of the other partitions have any trouble at all; they all report correct partition sizes.

The "df" command on the client shows this when /mnt/expo is mounted:

[root@spike pvr]# df
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
....(more irrelevant stuff)
pvr:/mnt/tvfiles      336G   69M  319G   1% /mnt/pvr/tvfiles
pvr:/mnt/expo          50G   19G   29G  40% /mnt/pvr/expo

I've checked inodes and they are all just fine, but when the share mounts at only 50 gigs, the inodes are reduced accordingly. I guess that's no surprise, but this is the first time I've run into this particular trouble.

Any help appreciated.

Mark

As you can see, the mounted share only shows a fraction of it's actual size. That discrepancy appears in file managers and all other means I have of measuring the size of a directory. What's causing this? How can I fix it.
Last edited by mark9117 on Jan 6th, '21, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.
Let's just reboot everything all the time.
mark9117

Location: Eastern New Mexico -- Not Hell, but you can see it from here.

Re: NFS share not mounting correct size

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 4th, '21, 18:19

What about the actual contents of /mnt/pvr/expo and /mnt/expo on the NFS server, are those the same? Does the mounted share size match any other shares from the NFS server ?
What about /mnt on the NFS server, what size is that (and why would you export that, just curious) and why do you mount it under a different path on the client?
Also, when was /mnt/expo last exported on the NFS server, or when was the NFS server rebooted last time ?

Also it would help if you could add some actual ouput for the mounted shares, not only the fstab entries. Please add the output from the client of

df -PhT /mnt/pvr/expo /mnt/pvr/tvfiles /mnt/pvr /mnt/pvr/mnt
mount|grep -wiE "/mnt/pvr/expo|/mnt/pvr/tvfiles|/mnt/pvr|/mnt/pvr/mnt"
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » Jan 5th, '21, 02:26

You might want to take a look at those partitions with fdisk, sfdisk, gdisk, parted, gparted, or some such just to be sure there is nothing funky in the partition structure.

Also, have you fsck'ed them? What does smartctl say about the drive they are on?
jiml8

Postby mark9117 » Jan 6th, '21, 03:35

doktor5000 wrote:What about the actual contents of /mnt/pvr/expo and /mnt/expo on the NFS server, are those the same?

There are no contents in these directories. They are empty as I try to get them created, mounted, etc. so that I can store files in them.

Does the mounted share size match any other shares from the NFS server ?

No.

What about /mnt on the NFS server, what size is that (and why would you export that, just curious)

Ah, this is interesting. That share mounts exactly the same size as /mnt/pvr/expo. This directory was mounted temporarily as I try to get these 7 other partitions on all 3 disks mounted. I generally do not actually mount that partition at this point. But yes, /mnt/pvr/expo and /mnt/pvr/mnt both mount as 50Gig partitions.

and why do you mount it under a different path on the client?

You mean /mnt/pvr/mnt? Again, I've mounted that temporarily to help sort out my directory structure on the server. I know what it was, but I've had to drop a disk because the disk that was in the system will no longer fit over the new RAM sticks. And that's okay because that disk was a low quality specimen that has essentially been replaced by the new NvM.2 SSD in the new motherboard.

Also, when was /mnt/expo last exported on the NFS server, or when was the NFS server rebooted last time ?

It's been a constant process throughout. I've exported those NFS shares a number of times with a number of options. Everything exports just fine except this one (well, okay with /mnt it's two) shares

Also it would help if you could add some actual ouput for the mounted shares, not only the fstab entries. Please add the ou]put from the client of

df -PhT /mnt/pvr/expo /mnt/pvr/tvfiles /mnt/pvr /mnt/pvr/mnt
mount|grep -wiE "/mnt/pvr/expo|/mnt/pvr/tvfiles|/mnt/pvr|/mnt/pvr/mnt"

My pleasure:

[root@spike pvr]# df -PhT /mnt/pvr/expo /mnt/pvr/tvfiles /mnt/pvr /mnt/pvr/mnt mount|grep -wiE "/mnt/pvr/expo|/mnt/pvr/tvfiles|/mnt/pvr|/mnt/pvr/mnt"
df: mount: No such file or directory
pvr:/mnt/expo    nfs4  351G   69M  333G   1% /mnt/pvr/expo
pvr:/mnt/tvfiles nfs4  336G  188G  132G  59% /mnt/pvr/tvfiles
pvr:/mnt         nfs4   50G   19G   29G  40% /mnt/pvr/mnt\

And I can't help but notice as I run that command, /mnt/pvr/expo is now showing up at the correct size.

So, thanks for the help?

I don't know, but I'm calling it resolved as of now.

Mark
Let's just reboot everything all the time.
mark9117

Location: Eastern New Mexico -- Not Hell, but you can see it from here.

Re: [SOLVED] NFS share not mounting correct size

Postby artee » Jul 27th, '21, 11:33

In case anyone finds this thread looking for answers, I think the above can happen when the export is done from /mnt/somedrive before the device /dev/sdxx is actually mounted at /mnt/somedrive.
The fact that the size was identical to the size of the /mnt export indicates that the empty directory (before device mounting) was exported.

More puzzling things can occur when one exports /mnt but not the mounted devices /mnt/drivex and then writes (on a client machine) in the export into /mnt/drivex: it is (at least, was, last time that mixup happened to me) perfectly possible to read and write there, but on the host with drivex mounted there, those files are not visible until the drive is unmounted...
artee

Return to Networking