[SOLVED] NFS won't mount on Boot - Mageia 7.1 [64-bit]

[SOLVED] NFS won't mount on Boot - Mageia 7.1 [64-bit]

Postby KnightMB » Jun 3rd, '20, 06:45

My situation is similar to what I've read others have here but I am unable to find a solution.

When my system boots up, the NFS mapping in the fstab appears to fail. I have many other machines running 7.1 that work fine, even setup the same way right after a fresh install, so I am not sure what happened or is different about this particular system. If I go into drakconf and visit Network Sharing, "Access NFS shared drivers and directories", I can see the network NFS server right away, the shares it has available, etc. I can even select the share and click the mount button and everything works. It even ask the first time I setup to add the entry to the fstab and I figured it has all good from there. But for some reason, it won't map the NFS if I reboot the machine. I read it might be a case of it booting up before the network is ready and some other things that I've tried to make it work but with no luck.

I guess a good starting point to help me is which of the services can I restart to make it try to map the NFS drive again (instead of going the long way through drakconf to do it), I see so many with NFS in the title, I'm not sure which one actually does it.

Example Below:
nfs-blkmap.service
nfs-client.target
nfs-convert.service
nfs-idmapd.service
nfs-mountd.service
nfs-server.service
nfs-utils.service

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by KnightMB on Jun 5th, '20, 19:15, edited 2 times in total.
KnightMB

Re: NFS won't mount on Boot - Mageia 7.1 [64-bit]

Postby KnightMB » Jun 3rd, '20, 17:52

Here is a work-around for my issue. Maybe this info can benefit others.

My issue is that this system has a static IP (the others had DHCP), so the system starts so fast that the NFS mapping (still not sure which service does this) fails on boot.

My work around, I created a Cron job that runs on system boot to re-mount all the drives with this command.

sleep 10; mount -a

The Cron job sleeps for 10 seconds (could probably be shorter, but I wanted to make sure there was plenty of delay for the system to boot) then remounts everything. This solved my issue, hopefully I can remove it in the future if I find a more "Mageia" solution. :D
KnightMB

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 3rd, '20, 18:02

You should not need to restart any service on the client, the only one that is required is RPC portmapper and that one is socket-activated.

Would be helpful if you could at least post the fstab entry for this NFS mount. Did you add _netdev as an option to mark it as a remote filesystem ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby KnightMB » Jun 4th, '20, 01:36

doktor5000 wrote:You should not need to restart any service on the client, the only one that is required is RPC portmapper and that one is socket-activated.

Would be helpful if you could at least post the fstab entry for this NFS mount. Did you add _netdev as an option to mark it as a remote filesystem ?

I agree, not sure why it is affecting this one computer, but it is the only one using a static IP instead of DHCP.

fstab Entry (basically the same command across a dozen machines)
Code: Select all
192.xxx.xxx.xxx:/ServerBackups /Backups/FileServers nfs rsize=8192,nosuid,wsize=8192,soft 0 0

No, but I did read about adding the _netdev but never found any examples of where I should be putting this option. It might be that simple as adding it, but couldn't quite figure out the syntax of it. Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated!
KnightMB

Postby KnightMB » Jun 4th, '20, 01:45

doktor5000 wrote:Did you add _netdev as an option to mark it as a remote filesystem ?

Finally found a site with an example, so tried this in the fstab (I was missing the _ part I think of _netdev)
192.xxx.xxx.xxx:/ServerBackups /Backups/FileServers nfs _netdev,rsize=8192,nosuid,wsize=8192,soft 0 0

Save, (disable my cron work around), restart the system and it started it up again. Checked the file system and unfortunately, not mounted like before. I either have that _netdev in the wrong place perhaps? Or I have another issue I need to hunt down?
KnightMB

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 4th, '20, 16:42

As you mentioned static IP vs. DHCP, does name resolution work properly? Did you set a proper hostname for this client, and can the NFS server resolve the IP adress of this client to its hostname ?

KnightMB wrote:No, but I did read about adding the _netdev but never found any examples of where I should be putting this option. It might be that simple as adding it, but couldn't quite figure out the syntax of it.

FWIW, this is mentioned in the man pages for mount and systemd.mount. And as any option, it should be added anywhere in the option column in /etc/fstab.

KnightMB wrote:Save, (disable my cron work around), restart the system and it started it up again. Checked the file system and unfortunately, not mounted like before. I either have that _netdev in the wrong place perhaps? Or I have another issue I need to hunt down?

No, the fstab entry looks fine so far.
I'd check the journal logs for related entries, and especially the ordering when network.target was available and when the system tried to mount this.

Can you post the output of
journalctl -ab | grep -iE "nfs|rpc|network.target|Backups.FileServers"
systemctl status Backups-FileServers.mount -al -n50

Although the second command would be interesting if you could run that before manually mounting the share.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby KnightMB » Jun 4th, '20, 18:26

Thanks, this is the kind of troubleshooting info I was looking for also. I hope this is helpful.
[root@skuld knightmb]# journalctl -ab | grep -iE "nfs|rpc|network.target|Backups.FileServers"
Jun 04 11:20:21 skuld systemd[1]: Listening on RPCbind Server Activation Socket.
Jun 04 11:20:21 skuld systemd[1]: Reached target RPC Port Mapper.
Jun 04 11:20:27 skuld systemd[1]: Starting RPC Bind...
Jun 04 11:20:27 skuld systemd[1]: Started RPC Bind.
Jun 04 11:20:32 skuld systemd[1]: Mounting /Backups/FileServers...
Jun 04 11:20:33 skuld kernel: RPC: Registered named UNIX socket transport module.
Jun 04 11:20:33 skuld kernel: RPC: Registered udp transport module.
Jun 04 11:20:33 skuld kernel: RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
Jun 04 11:20:33 skuld kernel: RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.
Jun 04 11:20:33 skuld kernel: FS-Cache: Netfs 'nfs' registered for caching
Jun 04 11:20:34 skuld kernel: NFS: Registering the id_resolver key type
Jun 04 11:20:34 skuld kernel: NFS4: Couldn't follow remote path
Jun 04 11:20:34 skuld mount[1082]: mount.nfs: Network is unreachable
Jun 04 11:20:34 skuld systemd[1]: Backups-FileServers.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=32/n/a
Jun 04 11:20:34 skuld systemd[1]: Backups-FileServers.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 04 11:20:34 skuld systemd[1]: Failed to mount /Backups/FileServers.

[root@skuld knightmb]# systemctl status Backups-FileServers.mount -al -n50
● Backups-FileServers.mount - /Backups/FileServers
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/fstab; generated)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2020-06-04 11:20:34 CDT; 2min 38s ago
    Where: /Backups/FileServers
     What: 192.xxx.xxx.xxx:/ServerBackups
     Docs: man:fstab(5)
           man:systemd-fstab-generator(8)

Jun 04 11:20:32 skuld systemd[1]: Mounting /Backups/FileServers...
Jun 04 11:20:34 skuld systemd[1]: Backups-FileServers.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=32/n/a
Jun 04 11:20:34 skuld systemd[1]: Backups-FileServers.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 04 11:20:34 skuld systemd[1]: Failed to mount /Backups/FileServers.
KnightMB

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 4th, '20, 18:43

KnightMB wrote:

I guess that's pretty self-explanatory, as already guessed it's trying to mount it too early during boot when network is not up yet.
Now to find out why the ordering is messed up. Do you use the classic network setup with net_applet, or do you use networkmanager ?

With a classic setup, you would need to enable network-up.service and with networkmanager the equivalent would be NetworkManager-wait-online.service
Although that's only a workaround, if you still want to keep the fstab mount. I'd probably just use automounter so that it's only mounted when it's accessed
or use systemd automounter. See e.g. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fs ... filesystem

Also please post the output of
systemctl show -p Requires,Wants,Requisite,BindsTo,PartOf,Before,After,DefaultDependencies Backups-FileServers.mount
systemctl list-dependencies Backups-FileServers.mount --reverse
systemctl list-dependencies network.target --reverse
----
doktor5000

Postby KnightMB » Jun 4th, '20, 21:28

doktor5000 wrote:
KnightMB wrote:

I guess that's pretty self-explanatory, as already guessed it's trying to mount it too early during boot when network is not up yet.
Now to find out why the ordering is messed up. Do you use the classic network setup with net_applet, or do you use networkmanager ?

I think the networkmanager, is that the screen when you are finishing up an install of Mageia from DVD before the system reboots for the first time?
doktor5000 wrote:Also please post the output of
systemctl show -p Requires,Wants,Requisite,BindsTo,PartOf,Before,After,DefaultDependencies Backups-FileServers.mount
systemctl list-dependencies Backups-FileServers.mount --reverse
systemctl list-dependencies network.target --reverse

[root@skuld knightmb]# systemctl show -p Requires,Wants,Requisite,BindsTo,PartOf,Before,After,DefaultDependencies Backups-FileServers.mount
Requires=-.mount system.slice
Requisite=
Wants=network-online.target
BindsTo=
PartOf=
Before=umount.target remote-fs.target
After=remote-fs-pre.target -.mount systemd-journald.socket network-online.target network.target system.slice
DefaultDependencies=yes

[root@skuld knightmb]# systemctl list-dependencies Backups-FileServers.mount --reverse
Backups-FileServers.mount
● └─remote-fs.target
●   ├─dracut-pre-pivot.service
●   └─multi-user.target
●     └─graphical.target

[root@skuld knightmb]# systemctl list-dependencies network.target --reverse
network.target
● ├─network-up.service
● └─network.service
KnightMB

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 4th, '20, 21:39

KnightMB wrote:I think the networkmanager, is that the screen when you are finishing up an install of Mageia from DVD before the system reboots for the first time?

No, that's the regular summary screen. You probably mean this one? https://doc.mageia.org/installer/7/en/c ... arams.html
So seems you're using the default net_applet.

Hmm, the rest doesn't provide much insight.

Could you add the output of

systemctl status network-up.service -al -n50
systemctl status network-online.target -al -n50
systemctl status network.service -al -n50

and maybe even the full log after a fresh boot of
journalctl -ab > /tmp/journalctl.log

then simply attach /tmp/journalctl.log here.
----
doktor5000

Postby KnightMB » Jun 5th, '20, 06:09

doktor5000 wrote:
KnightMB wrote:I think the networkmanager, is that the screen when you are finishing up an install of Mageia from DVD before the system reboots for the first time?

No, that's the regular summary screen. You probably mean this one? https://doc.mageia.org/installer/7/en/c ... arams.html
So seems you're using the default net_applet.

Yeah, that's the screen. During this troubleshooting, I have used the net_applet to switch the system between Static and DHCP before I started posting here.
doktor5000 wrote:Hmm, the rest doesn't provide much insight.

Could you add the output of

systemctl status network-up.service -al -n50
systemctl status network-online.target -al -n50
systemctl status network.service -al -n50

and maybe even the full log after a fresh boot of
journalctl -ab > /tmp/journalctl.log

then simply attach /tmp/journalctl.log here.

> systemctl status network-up.service -al -n50
● network-up.service - LSB: Wait for the hotplugged network to be up
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network-up; generated)
   Active: active (exited) since Thu 2020-06-04 23:00:07 CDT; 1min 46s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 699 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/network-up start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jun 04 23:00:07 skuld systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Wait for the hotplugged network to be up...
Jun 04 23:00:07 skuld network-up[699]: Waiting for network to be up[  OK  ]
Jun 04 23:00:07 skuld systemd[1]: Started LSB: Wait for the hotplugged network to be up.

> systemctl status network-online.target -al -n50
● network-online.target - Network is Online
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/network-online.target; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active since Thu 2020-06-04 23:00:09 CDT; 3min 24s ago
     Docs: man:systemd.special(7)
           https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget

Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld systemd[1]: Reached target Network is Online.

> systemctl status network.service -al -n50
● network.service - LSB: Bring up/down networking
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network; generated)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2020-06-04 23:00:09 CDT; 3min 56s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 838 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 3556)
   Memory: 2.8M
   CGroup: /system.slice/network.service
           └─1016 /sbin/ifplugd -I -b -i enp3s8

Jun 04 23:00:08 skuld systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Bring up/down networking...
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld network[838]: Bringing up loopback interface:  [  OK  ]
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld ifplugd(enp3s8)[1016]: ifplugd 0.28 initializing.
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld ifplugd(enp3s8)[1016]: Using interface enp3s8/00:16:76:9C:DE:2F with driver <e100> (version: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI)
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld ifplugd(enp3s8)[1016]: Using detection mode: SIOCETHTOOL
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld ifplugd(enp3s8)[1016]: Initialization complete, link beat detected.
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld ifplugd(enp3s8)[1016]: Executing '/etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.action enp3s8 up'.
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld network[838]: Bringing up interface enp3s8:  [  OK  ]
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld systemd[1]: Started LSB: Bring up/down networking.
Jun 04 23:00:14 skuld NET[1404]: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post : updated /etc/resolv.conf
Jun 04 23:00:14 skuld ifplugd(enp3s8)[1016]: Program executed successfully.
Attachments
journalctl.log
Lots of startup info...
(85.12 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
KnightMB

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 5th, '20, 15:29

Well, network-up runs, afterwards your main interface enp3s8 is brought up. Then later mount.nfs says network is unreachable.

Do you have more then this one interface? And can you please post the content of your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* configs and the output of
/sbin/ip a

please?

But you can also check for yourself, go through /etc/rc.d/init.d/network-up and try to debug why it says that the network is already up before the interface is actually started.

Jun 04 23:00:07 skuld network-up[699]: Waiting for network to be up[ OK ]
Jun 04 23:00:07 skuld systemd[1]: Started LSB: Wait for the hotplugged network to be up.
[...]
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld ifplugd(enp3s8)[1016]: ifplugd 0.28 initializing.
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld kernel: e100 0000:03:08.0 enp3s8: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp3s8: link becomes ready
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld ifplugd(enp3s8)[1016]: Using interface enp3s8/00:16:76:9C:DE:2F with driver <e100> (version: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI)
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld ifplugd(enp3s8)[1016]: Using detection mode: SIOCETHTOOL
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld ifplugd(enp3s8)[1016]: Initialization complete, link beat detected.
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld ifplugd(enp3s8)[1016]: Executing '/etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.action enp3s8 up'.
Jun 04 23:00:09 skuld network[838]: Bringing up interface enp3s8: [ OK ]
[...]
Jun 04 23:00:11 skuld mount[1074]: mount.nfs: Network is unreachable
Jun 04 23:00:11 skuld kernel: NFS4: Couldn't follow remote path
Jun 04 23:00:11 skuld systemd[1]: Backups-FileServers.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=32/n/a
Jun 04 23:00:11 skuld systemd[1]: Backups-FileServers.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 04 23:00:11 skuld systemd[1]: Failed to mount /Backups/FileServers.
Jun 04 23:00:11 skuld systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Remote File Systems.
Jun 04 23:00:11 skuld systemd[1]: remote-fs.target: Job remote-fs.target/start failed with result 'dependency'.
----
doktor5000

Postby KnightMB » Jun 5th, '20, 19:09

Ok, found a working solution that was something I had not looked at.

I went back into network configuration and disabled IPv6, reboot, it actually came back up with the NFS mounted (no workarounds needed), so I figured maybe the IPv6 was the issue (it was auto-assigned vs the IPv4 which was manual), well I turned IPv6 back on, save, reboot again, and it still worked. Did a couple of reboots now, everything is working fine. I guess something was not right in the configuration the first time I did it from the DVD install. Not sure why turning IPv6 off and then back on solved it, but I am not going to look a gift solution in the mouth. :mrgreen:

Don't know if it was a bug from the start or just a fluke during the install. I do appreciate all the help and very detailed troubleshooting you have been doing, thanks!

If you want a comparison of settings, I do have a backup of the entire /etc folder from the machine before I started tinkering with it today, just need to know which files to attach here (yesterday vs. today for example)
Last edited by KnightMB on Jun 5th, '20, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
KnightMB

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 5th, '20, 19:12

You're welcome. Please don't forget to mark the thread solved ;)
----
doktor5000

Postby KnightMB » Jun 5th, '20, 19:14

doktor5000 wrote:You're welcome. Please don't forget to mark the thread solved ;)

I will, you posted as I was editing, so this is what I added just moments ago.
If you want a comparison of settings, I do have a backup of the entire /etc folder from the machine before I started tinkering with it today, just need to know which files to attach here (yesterday vs. today for example)
KnightMB

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 5th, '20, 23:44

KnightMB wrote:If you want a comparison of settings, I do have a backup of the entire /etc folder from the machine before I started tinkering with it today, just need to know which files to attach here (yesterday vs. today for example)

Well, depends if you're interested in that :)
If you have the backup, easiest way probably would be to create a diff between the two folders, as root

diff -ur /etc /path/to/backup_of_etc

Although the most relevant ones should only be /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
----
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] NFS won't mount on Boot - Mageia 7.1 [64-bit]

Postby KnightMB » Jun 7th, '20, 02:49

There is a difference between the old and *working* one. It seems IPv6 is still disabled. I haven't moved to assigning an IPv6 for the machine yet, but I'll watch to see if the NFS stops working again. I also noticed the old config had BOOTPROTO to none instead of static. :?

Working Config
DEVICE=enp3s8
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.xxx.xxx.xxx
NETMASK=255.255.252.0
GATEWAY=192.xxx.xxx.xxx
ONBOOT=yes
METRIC=10
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
USERCTL=yes
DNS1=192.xxx.xxx.xxx
RESOLV_MODS=no
IPV6INIT=no
IPV6TO4INIT=no
ACCOUNTING=no

Old Config That Didn't Work
DEVICE=enp3s8
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=192.xxx.xxx.xxx
NETMASK=255.255.252.0
GATEWAY=192.xxx.xxx.xxx
ONBOOT=yes
METRIC=10
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
USERCTL=yes
DNS1=192.xxx.xxx.xxx
RESOLV_MODS=no
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6TO4INIT=no
ACCOUNTING=no
Last edited by KnightMB on Jun 7th, '20, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
KnightMB

Postby KnightMB » Jun 7th, '20, 02:53

Well, I couldn't wait for the excitement, I turned IPv6 back on and did a reboot, no problems, NFS worked fine. I set that BOOTPROTO=none, save and reboot, well it stopped working, set it back to BOOTPROTO=static and everything was fine again. Hopefully, this can help others in the future should they need to troubleshoot. :mrgreen:
KnightMB

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 7th, '20, 15:51

KnightMB wrote:I set that BOOTPROTO=none, save and reboot, well it stopped working, set it back to BOOTPROTO=static and everything was fine again.

Thanks for confirming that. I'll try to check if that's an issue of the installer .. from what I understood, the faulty config with BOOTPROTO=none was like that after your fresh installation, right ?
----
doktor5000

Postby KnightMB » Jun 8th, '20, 20:47

Yeah, although after installing on some other machines and choosing static again just to see if it happened again, could not reproduce. I think I must have done something different than I usually do or must have done a typo on the IP address and just didn't know it. I might have typed in an extra period or letter that didn't belong. I think it was user error on my part :oops:
Last edited by isadora on Jun 8th, '20, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote; as a golden rule quoting the last comment is not appropriate.
KnightMB

Return to Networking