[Solved] help setting up OpenVPN connection with net_applet

[Solved] help setting up OpenVPN connection with net_applet

Postby duskmourn » Dec 23rd, '19, 01:30

As the title says, I'm having trouble figuring out how to setup an OpenVPN connection with Mageia's default network utility. The problem seems to be that the .ovpn files I have need to split up a certain way to work with the VPN utility. I'm trying to setup a Private Internet Access VPN specifically. Here's a link to all their .ovpn files if anyone can help me figure out how I need to split up the files and manually configure everything. Thanks in advanced!

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/o ... penvpn.zip
Last edited by duskmourn on Jan 26th, '20, 01:11, edited 2 times in total.
duskmourn

Re: Need help setting up OpenVPN connection with net_applet

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 23rd, '19, 18:10

You may want to look at viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12963 and maybe viewtopic.php?p=73375#p73375 for some context information.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby duskmourn » Jan 8th, '20, 14:19

Alright got it to work with Networkmanager thanks to this wiki page https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Switching_to_networkmanager
duskmourn

Postby isadora » Jan 8th, '20, 18:44

Would you please mark this topic [SOLVED]?
You can do so by editing the title/subject of the first message in the topic.
Place [SOLVED] in front of subject/title.

Thanks ahead. :)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 8th, '20, 19:41

duskmourn wrote:Alright got it to work with Networkmanager thanks to this wiki page https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Switching_to_networkmanager

Interesting, didn't know there's also a wiki page for this now, thanks for sharing.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wintpe » Jan 10th, '20, 09:10

just for clarity, for those who still want to use netaplet

you dont need to split the ovpn files , this possibly came frome advise i gave previously.
just place the ovpn file in place of the file the mageia wizard creates in /etc/sysconfig/network-script/vpn/openvpn
but it must be a xxxxxx.conf file not a .ovpn file
and add a password.conf with your username on first line and password on second line to the same directory
and the add a line to the .ovpn file
auth-user-pass password.conf
this is for vpns that you dont wish to provide a prompt for, not good advise for those that give you access to a buisness or home.
and only if the ovpn file has a refrence to an external cert or ca file also include that in same directory.
im using this right now for both torguard and usenetserver openvpn with mga7
or even simpler for diagnostic purposes
openvpn file.ovpn as root.
it must be run as root if run on cli, both network manager and the kde aplet will do this for you if you use those.
if that brings up tun0 but you still cant connect, then disable and enable the firewall via mga control center security, including tun0 as the additional network device, and this must be done with tun0 is up. without the firewall step openvpn will start but never be able to pass traffic to the openvpn server you are connected to and as its now the default route all traffic will appear down except local.
ps the kde netaplet wont show new configs until you logout and login again, it picks them up on start up.
regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Return to Networking