[SOLVED] ProtonVPN on Mageia 7

[SOLVED] ProtonVPN on Mageia 7

Postby pamputt » Dec 7th, '19, 01:37

Hello, it seems there is a problem with openvpn that is packaged by Mageia 7. This thread says the same.
If there is a network and/or openvpn expert, could you have a look here because it is not clear to me what is wrong and what information might be useful to understand where the problem comes from.
Last edited by pamputt on Dec 20th, '19, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
pamputt

Re: ProtonVPN on Mageia 7

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 7th, '19, 16:08

It would help if you would add a hint on what the actual issue is currently. First it is an issue on how you use su or sudo, then later it's about name resolution.

Seems this could be the issue, from the log from the other person that commented:

Code: Select all
resolvconf: Error: Command not recognized
Usage: resolvconf (-d IFACE|-a IFACE|-u|--enable-updates|--disable-updates|--updates-are-enabled)

This might be the cause that you can reach adresses/sites using their IP adresses over the VPN, but there's no name resolution if your resolv.conf is not being updated properly.

If protonvpn requires resolvconf, you might need to install that package, because it's not installed by default.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pamputt » Dec 7th, '19, 16:37

Sorry not to give a lot of details but I did not want to repeat all was written in the Gihub issue.
About resolvconf, I have installed the package so I do not understand why I get an error here (if I type the command `/etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf tun0 1500 1585 10.8.0.5 255.255.255.0 init dhcp-option DNS 10.8.8.1`, no error occur).
That is why I am a bit lost. I do not know what to do (commands or something else) to go further.
pamputt

Postby pamputt » Dec 12th, '19, 20:59

FYI, I have created a bug report on the Mageia bugtracker about this topic.
pamputt

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 12th, '19, 21:32

Sorry but that does not really help at all, when you don't even mention what your particular issue currently is, because that github issue mixes up several issues from several different users.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pamputt » Dec 13th, '19, 08:23

I know that I do not give a lot of information. The problem is ProtonVPN does not work with the openvpn package with Mageia. I do not know more about openvpn so that is why I gave a link to a free ProtonVPN configuration in order to try and to understand what is going wrong. But I cannot do it by myself, because I do not know what outputs are useful or what to test.
pamputt

Postby jiml8 » Dec 14th, '19, 18:53

what error messages do you get when you run "pvpn -c" as root from the command line?
jiml8

Postby pamputt » Dec 20th, '19, 09:09

Actually, the problem is solved here. This was an issue with the Mageia iptables policies.
pamputt

Return to Networking