[DONE] broadcom wifi on Eeebook

[DONE] broadcom wifi on Eeebook

Postby z » Nov 4th, '19, 00:09

I have an Asus X205TA that I installed Mageia on and I cannot get wifi working correctly. It has a broadcom wifi card, and it shows up in the network applet with the SSIDs displayed. However, if I attempt to connect to one, the network service crashes and cannot be restarted. MCC stops working also, I'm just presented with a blank window when I try to open it. However, if I delete the ifcfg-wlan0 config file, everything starts working again. I tried installing the listed broadcom drivers, but then the wlan0 interface disappeared from the network applet. The system journal shows no errors when attempting to connect. Everything just freezes up after
Code: Select all
ifdplugd(wlan0)[2981]: ifplugd 0.28 initializing

Then everything freezes, but terminal still works (xfce) and I have to do a hard reboot after deleting the ifcfg-wlan0 file, then everything works again. Thoughts?
Last edited by doktor5000 on Nov 5th, '19, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adjusted subject
z

Re: broadcom wifi on Eeebook

Postby z » Nov 4th, '19, 01:51

If I switch to NetworkManager, I can connect to my router without locking up the system, but I have no network connectivity. Attempting to ping returns the message, "Operation not permitted".
z

Re: broadcom wifi on Eeebook

Postby z » Nov 4th, '19, 08:19

Rather than spend hours trying to get wifi to work on Mageia, I just installed Fedora which seems to work perfectly out of the box. So, I'll just go with that on this little netbook.
z

Re: [DONE] broadcom wifi on Eeebook

Postby martinw » Nov 10th, '19, 23:47

FWIW, following the procedure described in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AS ... nable_wifi was enough to get WiFi working on my X205TA.
martinw

Postby z » Nov 11th, '19, 22:43

Thanks for the info. I found that guide and followed the instructions for adding the drivers, but it didn't work. Were there additional steps needed for mageia, or to use networkmanager rather than the net applet? I don't recall if that made a difference. I think I was trying it with the net applet when I couldn't get it to work. I can't remember what order I tried various things, but I did follow those instructions for enabling wifi, to no avail.
z

Postby z » Nov 12th, '19, 06:42

I thought I would try those instructions again with the net applet disabled and networkmanager installed. It works. Half the problem was the wifi drivers and the other half was apparently draknetcenter.
z

Postby martinw » Nov 12th, '19, 22:08

There's no need to add any drivers, just copy the file from the EFI variables and reload the brcmfmac module.

I normally use NetworkManager, but I was able to get it to work using the legacy network service, configuring it via the MCC. I did the above procedure before attempting to configure the interface.
martinw

Return to Networking