[SOLVED] Mageia 7.1 and wifi not working on HP netbook

[SOLVED] Mageia 7.1 and wifi not working on HP netbook

Postby vzawalin » Oct 3rd, '19, 13:13

HP Stream 11" netbook with Intel 3165 wireless card. Ethernet connection not possible, dualboots with W10, but mga mostly installed on a second mmc card.
With Mageia 6, wireless worked out of the box using plasma + netapplet (?) so never gave it a second thought. After upgrading to MGA 7.1, I have not been able to connect to wireless (again using plasma) and no net applet or other network icon appears near the sysytray or anywhere else that I can see.
Trying to set up a connection through mcc (network manager I presume) always results in "connection failed". Log search comes up with something about a missing heartbeat.
Wireless works fine when booting MGA 7.1 from a live usb stick, so seemingly hardware is OK. Before going off the deep end with this, for MGA 7.1 classical classical install, plasma desktop, assuming I have ended up wth both network manager and net-applet running at the same time as a direct result of the classical installation process, what steps can I take to get a working wireless internet connection, if there is a simple answer to this? If not, I can run the diagnostics previously suggested for this problem area, but I would prefer to try a simple solution first if there is one.
Last edited by vzawalin on Oct 6th, '19, 05:06, edited 1 time in total.
vzawalin

Re: Mageia 7.1 and wifi not working on HP netbook

Postby vzawalin » Oct 4th, '19, 14:04

I have attempted to repeat the installation process. The network configuration step throws a message stating “Unable to find network interface for selected device (using iwlwifi driver)”. Yet the netbook can be started and connect to wifi, as mentioned above, when booted from a usb Mga 7.1 live medium. Not sure what is going on here. I will complete the re-installation and collect the diagnostics.
Question: Can someone remind me where I can find the installation log please? I have forgotten. Thanks
vzawalin

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 4th, '19, 14:38

You description is a bit confusing. Do you want to figure out why wireless isn't working on your upgraded system or on the freshly installed one ?

Regarding the installer logs, they should be located in the folder /root/drakx
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby vzawalin » Oct 6th, '19, 05:04

One of these irritating things ......
Just tried to connect to wifi through mcc and on this occasion, an immediate connection resulted.
For whatever reasons and whatever may have happened since then, things now work. Maybe all that was needed was a reboot ??? There is no net-app in the systray and I am happy to keep using mcc.
Thank you for your time and interest.
Vlad
vzawalin

Return to Networking