Wifi drops Internet/no wifi after sleep

Wifi drops Internet/no wifi after sleep

Postby DiBosco » Apr 4th, '19, 12:10

Folks,

I have an HP laptop that I have reinstalled form scratch with M6.1.

It works fine other than wi-fi drops its connection after a minute or so. It says it still has a connection to the access point, but you can't even ping anything.

dmesg tells me a couple of potentially interesting things:

Code: Select all
could not load the ucode section

failed to wake nic for hcmd

If I sleep and then wake up things are even worse. It won't even see any SSIDs.

I've Googled those two error messages and seen plenty of advice, especially for the hcmd issue, but they're pretty much all saying update the Kernel to 4.14 and I am. (Plus they're mostly from about 2016.)

The Wireless card is an Intel 3165 and I have iwlwifi as its module.

If there's any other info that is helpful let me know and I'll post it.

I'm completely up-to-date with all software updates.

I should also add it was OK with Mageia 6.0

DiBosco

Re: Wifi drops Internet/no wifi after sleep

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 5th, '19, 00:15

DiBosco wrote:I have an HP laptop that I have reinstalled form scratch with M6.1.
[...]
I should also add it was OK with Mageia 6.0

If you had updates on the 6.0 installation then there's no difference to a fresh 6.1 install, they consist of the same packages.

You should at least add the output of lspcidrake -v and also
journalctl -ab output after a fresh boot at the point where the connection is not working anymore.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby DiBosco » Apr 27th, '19, 11:07

Sorry for the delay, not had time to look at this properly and been limping a long with this [ relatively unsatisfactory] semi solution:
I have disabled power save pn the wifi module, that helped.
However, shutting the lid just killed the wifi - even when the on;y thing the lid shut does is swtch off the screen - and had a to reboot. So, I switched to networkmanager and that was a big improvement in that:
When I shut the lid I could at leat click the tick box to re-enable wifi which then makes it work.
I then did more Googling and someone suggested more settings in kde system settings to do with wifi. So I selected the "Do nothing" options in power management | wireless.
Now, if I close the lid and reopen the lid, no wifi and I have to click the tick box to re-enable wifi. I should stress that the networkmanager service runs just fine. It is purely an issue with licking the tick box in the knetworkmanager plasma aplet that is red when you open the lid. Here's the weird thing:
If I shut the lid for a second time without re-enabling the wifi and then reopen the lid it then springs back into life. :shock:

Long term it would be nice to male it hibernate when you shut the lid, but that's a whole other can of worms that I'll tackle once I have this going!
DiBosco

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 28th, '19, 14:44

You could check whether some vendor-specific WMI module is loaded which maybe interferes with the normal behaviour. As root
Code: Select all
lsmod|grep -iE "wmi|hp"

Also see the hints about intel chipsets at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Setup_wireless_networking#known_issues_with_specific_drivers
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Networking