Can't start Gajim

Can't start Gajim

Postby c0legota » Feb 10th, '19, 20:30

Hi!
I can't start Gajim in one of my computers running Mageia 6.1 up to date.
Maybe it depends of some of last urpmi updates because I have other computer where it works and that one was not updated for a while.

First I found this errors:
Code: Select all
$ gajim
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gajim.py", line 307, in <module>
    OpenSSL.rand.load_file(str(RNG_SEED))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/rand.py", line 178, in load_file
    return _lib.RAND_load_file(filename, maxbytes)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'RAND_load_file'

After a search in DuckDuckGo I found that the first problem can be solved installing lib64canberra-gtk0 also with lib64canberra-gtk3_0. Then the first error disappeared but the second one continues.

Code: Select all
 $ gajim
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gajim.py", line 307, in <module>
    OpenSSL.rand.load_file(str(RNG_SEED))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/rand.py", line 178, in load_file
    return _lib.RAND_load_file(filename, maxbytes)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'RAND_load_file'

In some places talk about remove python-OpenSSL but it's not possible to remove it without removing Gajim.
Also installed python3-OpenSSL but problem persists.

In a Debian forum read that it's a problem with old versions of Gajim and recomends to install version 1.x but can't find Gajim 1.x in Mageia repos.

Anyone can help?

Thanks!
Colegota
c0legota

Re: Can't start Gajim

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 11th, '19, 08:52

This seems to be an upstream bug, see https://dev.gajim.org/gajim/gajim/issues/8788 but it would also need an updated pyopenssl IIUC.
Best open a bugreport for that: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Can't start Gajim

Postby larryhems » Sep 14th, '20, 08:57

This error happens because there is no attribute with the name you called, for that Object. This means that you got the error when the "module" does not contain the method you are calling. But it is evident that the method is there, which leads to believe that may be the method was added by you in the python source code after you had already imported the file (module). Or, some times packages get deprecated and they rename some functions. If that is true, then you may want to exit and reimport the module once again to be able to access the new method.

You can do it in another way to reimport the module with changes without having to exit the interpreter is to do the following:

import importlib
importlib.reload(myModule)
larryhems

Return to Networking