iphone connection

iphone connection

Postby kotare » Sep 11th, '17, 10:52

Hi All,
I am a new to Mageia and I am having diffuculty using my iphone as a hotspot connection.
I have connected the iphone to the laptop via Bluetooth and this works (I can control the podcasts on the phone through Mageia) but when I run Firefox and try connecting to the internet - no connection.
Can anyone help please?
kotare

Re: iphone connection

Postby wintpe » Sep 11th, '17, 11:55

I can only offer help based on an android experience.

In android under apps->settings, there is a setting mobile hotspot tethering.

under that you have a choise of bluetooth or usb as the connection method.

for USB its simple, plug the phone in, mageia will automaticly create the device , open the netapplet and click on the device and start

thats it networking just works.

Now for bluetooth things wont just happen by default, the first thing you have to do is pair.

hopefully you have done that.

once thats done, open the network and see if there is a bluetooth network device.

Not sure what its called.

start it, and the netapplet should just say network is up.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby kotare » Sep 11th, '17, 12:06

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply. I have the phone and laptop paired okay, its when I try and connect to the internet with Firefox on the laptop it fails,

Still no joy. Open to any other suggestions....
kotare

Postby wintpe » Sep 12th, '17, 11:33

Im sorry, but just trying to connect to the internet with firefox does not work, will not get you the help you need.

my last reply suggested you check that you actualy have a network connection via your phone, by telling you how to check.

just because the phone is paired to bluetooth does not mean theres a network connection present.

network and bluetooth are not the same thing.

bluetooth might be interpreted as a type of network connection, but its not tcpip.

you need to establish if you have a tcpip connection up and running.

open a konsole and su to root

Code: Select all

su -

ifconfig -a

and see if there is a ipaddress assigned to a network adapter.

also type

Code: Select all

netstat -rn

then someone here , including me can comment on wether you have a network connection

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Return to Networking