Realtek RTL8811au driver solution

Realtek RTL8811au driver solution

Postby klingon » Jan 22nd, '17, 09:27

It is often difficult to find a linux driver for many adapters especially dual band ones. I have an off brand "Anewkodi" which is a dual band based on the Realtek 8811au chip. Other manufacturers also make them. Realtek has a driver which you can find on github which is out of date and won't work on the newer kernels. The 8812au-8825 drivers maintained by a group on git hub. https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux. I followed the procedure outlined in the following url for Fedora, which worked perfectly. You can change the names to any thing you want. The dkms.conf file is allready there and you need to replace the #driver version# you have selected. (actually you can put anything you want here, but you must name the src directory the name of the "driver_name-version_number" and put it in the /usr/src directory). It must be consistent in the dkms.conf file and the commands.
BTW this version of dkms is way out of date compared to other distros. With them the add command and install command setup the directories build etc based on the dkms.conf file and build it.

Hope this helps someone! :)
klingon

Re: Realtek RTL8811au driver solution

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 22nd, '17, 14:29

klingon wrote:It is often difficult to find a linux driver for many adapters especially dual band ones.

That depends on how you search for drivers/devices ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby klingon » Jan 26th, '17, 07:01

doktor5000 wrote:
klingon wrote:It is often difficult to find a linux driver for many adapters especially dual band ones.

That depends on how you search for drivers/devices ...

What do you suggest?

Well, I searched for it on this site, github, realtek and the general internet. What was missing was the information that the 8812AU was at least partially compatable. Since my first posting, I found it sometimes crashes after a while. Haven't researched that yet.

BTW I forgot to put the URL for the Fedora procedure I used. Here it is. http://dustymabe.com/2016/01/
klingon

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 27th, '17, 00:32

klingon wrote:What do you suggest?

Usually searching for the PCI vendor:product ID in conjunction with linux ...
And usually all upstream drivers can be found at https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/ except for a few exceptions, like realtek chips
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Networking