Unable to see any local network devices from MGA 5 sys

Unable to see any local network devices from MGA 5 sys

Postby ghmitch » Dec 6th, '16, 02:17

I am very frustrated because I am not able to see either webdav or samba devices from my Mageia 5 system. I am using Dolphin and when I click on the "Network" -> "Network" links I see just nothing. I have an old Mandriva 2010.1 system on the same network switch and in Dolphin on that machine following the same links I see a samba drive with no problem and 4 webdav devices. I have checked everything I can think of and nothing clicks. Why would one system work and another one not?
ghmitch

Re: Unable to see any local network devices from MGA 5 sys

Postby yankee495 » Dec 6th, '16, 08:15

Hello,

Networking can be a tricky issue but I believe you need to install "Avahi". I'm not sure if you need to reboot afterwards to get zeroconf functioning. I do know that when I see a SMB share (from another Linux machine) and I double click it in Dolphin I get another Dolphin and the link in the address bar has 445 on the end. I have to remove the 445 and press enter and then it accesses it. I don't know if that is a bug or what, but it is what I have to do.

Recently, I networked the whole house with Gigabit wired Ethernet. I have started using all NFS shares and those have to be set up in MCC. There is also an option to configure access to SMB shares. It's in MCC> Network Sharing. Hope that helps.
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary & those who don't.
Main Desktop
http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/3960066
yankee495

Postby wintpe » Dec 6th, '16, 10:16

hi

use

smbclient -L \\machinename

to see if your system is able to resolve the network name of the machine
you are trying to connect to.

if this cant see the machines, then you have an issue with dns, perhaps or need to add the hostnames of those hosts to
your hosts file, if you dont have a local dns server.

server message block protocol, ie he protocol that windows uses , and samba was made for integrating with windows, uses
names to identify hosts, if it cant find that name, then it may struggle to see the shares.

if the above works, then try putting \\machinename into dolphin, that usualy works for me.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby ghmitch » Dec 7th, '16, 02:58

When I try to access the Network from dolphin on the Mageia 5 system, I just discovered dolphin is showing me an icon with a padlock on it which I had not noticed before
Network Icon.jpg
Network Icon.jpg (6.97 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
ghmitch

Return to Networking