Making a PPTPD server using Mageia?

Making a PPTPD server using Mageia?

Postby testuser » Jul 16th, '16, 21:37

So, I would like to VPN into my network using my Mageia 5 desktop as the VPN server, currently I am attempting to use OpenVPN (with mixed success, for some reason the exact same certificates refuse to authenicate on two different devices). But I would like to use a more native solution to my client devices if possible, like pptp, so I was wondering, how would I go about setting up a pptpd server? There seems to be little documentation about this on Mageia.

If it is important, I am currently abroad, accessing my home desktop with WOL and SSH.
testuser

Re: Making a PPTPD server using Mageia?

Postby wintpe » Aug 1st, '16, 15:38

no ones answered this with a better solution, so im going to answer it with,
not quite what you asked for, but what im using instead.

if you install openvpn on your desktop, then you desktop no doubt consumes a fair amount of power.

it also running mageia gets updated, with new releases every year or so, so disruptive to your vpn.

instead, why not consider buying a wireless router that will except a version of DD-WRT, like the one i have Asus RT-AC56U

install DD-WRT and it offers openvpn, and PPTP server, this then runs permanently using little electricity, and will
probably pay for itself in a a year, just in the electric savings alone.

there about £70 , but probably newer versions available now, or cheaper alternatives

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Re: Making a PPTPD server using Mageia?

Postby testuser » Aug 2nd, '16, 01:42

I did come to that conclusion, conveniently I do have a router that supports DD-WRT and am planning to hack it in the near future.
testuser

Return to Networking