Broken drakhosts?

Broken drakhosts?

Postby kateto » May 27th, '16, 11:55

Hello all!
I've been trying for a while to change my computer's name to something more meaningful than 'localhost' by means of MCC and drakhosts, but I can't seem to change it only by adding an entry to 127.0.0.1. The change is saved to the file /etc/hosts but nothing else happens. Anybody encountered the same issue?
kateto

Re: Broken drakhosts?

Postby doktor5000 » May 27th, '16, 18:49

drakhosts is not meant to change the hostname, it's meant to edit /etc/hosts file.
Either use manahosts for that (it has a hostname button and is actually an interface to hostnamectl) or use hostnamectl directly, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne ... e_hostname for that.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby kateto » May 29th, '16, 21:54

Well, I remember drakhosts DID change the hostname in the days before systemd. Now I see systemd has taken over this task too, as so many others. I used its tool hostnamectl as you instructed and succeeded, many thanks for the info.
kateto

Postby doktor5000 » May 30th, '16, 00:46

Nope, it didn't - the one defined for the network interface took precedence, so it only worked in rare situations.

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [SOLVED], thanks.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Networking