[SOLVED]L2TP server with dynamic IP

[SOLVED]L2TP server with dynamic IP

Postby mackowiakp » May 18th, '16, 15:26

I want to connect iPad via L2TP to M5 based server. Normally I use OpenVPN without problems but it is impossible in Apple World without Jailbrake.
So I install openswan xl2tp etc. But I dont know. Is it possible to run L2TP server located behind router (with NAT of course) and connected to Internet link with dynamic IP? This dynamic IP is defined in NO-IP system so there is no problem to reach server using mnemonic name. It works with OpenVPN without problems.
I googled a lot but all configuration examples I found, where dedicated for servers connected to link with constant IP address. More I want to authenticate users via PSK and user/pass credentials (Apple issue). I have no experience with L2TP server at all, so any help welcome.
Last edited by mackowiakp on Aug 12th, '16, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Linux is like wigwam. No Windows, no Gates but Apache inside

WARNING ! The administrator has the right to refuse to install WINDOWS, invoking the conscience clause
mackowiakp

Re: L2TP server with dynamic IP

Postby wintpe » Aug 10th, '16, 18:10

not impossible at all, same did used to be said about android and root.

but i use this under android and it works fine, no root needed.

apparently it does not need root under ios either

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/openvpn ... 79981?mt=8

theres a BIG FAQ here

https://docs.openvpn.net/docs/openvpn-c ... s-faq.html

needs ios 6.0 , im guessing thats because apple have now added a vpn api like android.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Re: L2TP server with dynamic IP

Postby mackowiakp » Aug 12th, '16, 07:38

OK, OpenVPN works form me. The configuration is - OpenVPN server on M5 and OpenVPN client on iPad. Topic closed
Linux is like wigwam. No Windows, no Gates but Apache inside

WARNING ! The administrator has the right to refuse to install WINDOWS, invoking the conscience clause
mackowiakp

Return to Networking