Want to connect to a vpn, how to switch to networkmanager

Want to connect to a vpn, how to switch to networkmanager

Postby jbarntt56 » Dec 20th, '15, 03:06

I read this SOLVED thread, but I don't get it. Maybe I'm stupid:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5782

I intalled networkmanager, and started the service. I installed networkmanager-applet and plasma-applet-nm
I rebooted my PC, networkmanager is running. There is nothing in the system tray regarding any of these things. There is no 'add other', or anything like it.

I see in the code to kill and disable the network service, and then on reboot networkmanager will take over. I can't risk losing my internet connection, so I haven't done this.

Perhaps none of this is necessary: In the control center, under network there is an option to setup a vpn connection. Is that an interface to openvpn? I don't know.

FYI - The vpn connection I wish to make is to a vpn provider such as Nordvpn, Torguard, Purevpn, etc. Oh, running Mageia 5 KDE, fully updated.

Any advice much appreciated and TIA,

jbarntt56
jbarntt56

Re: Want to connect to a vpn, how to switch to networkmanage

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 20th, '15, 12:49

So if you only want to establish a VPN connection, why do you want to switch to networkmanager?

And for networkmanager, you still would need to add the applet to KDE, that is done as explained here: viewtopic.php?p=57145#p57145
add it either to systray by right-clicking the systray, "settings for systray area of control panel" ( or whatever that's called in english) and on the right side in "additional elements" select network management.

And yes, in MCC the option "Configure VPN Connection to secure network access" is intended to setup a VPN connection, but it doesn't use networkmanager.
See http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/5/en/content/drakvpn.html

Regarding openvpn connections, there are a few more pointers in viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10199
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Networking