Samsung ULD "ERROR: VENDOR undefined , execution..."[SOLVED]

Samsung ULD "ERROR: VENDOR undefined , execution..."[SOLVED]

Postby aldQueiroz » Jun 5th, '15, 16:22

Hi, it's been a long time since my last visit here.
Yesterday, I installed Mageia 5 RC (x86_64) in my desktop, within a brand new 500 GB HD, to replace the former 80 GB HD with Mageia 4 (which had its '/' partition completely full, impeaching any further installing..!); Then, I tried to install my multifunction printer/scanner Samsung CLX-3175, and got a weird error message error when following the usual procedure to install Unified Linux Driver (through as root >> sh ./install.sh) : " ERROR: VENDOR undefined , execution aborted "
I never had such trouble when installing by this way before (since Mageia 2, at least...); searching in the web, I found reports of this same problem from other distros (Ubuntu, etc) since 2013, but nothing with Mageia... What changed from Mageia 4 to 5 RC, which could be causing this hassle?
I may notice that I'm able to install the printer/scanner Samsung CLX-3175 using the Foomatic driver, but this is an incomplete solution, because the scanner doesn't work... I'm obliged to use proprietary driver (Samsung Unified Linux Driver v. 6) in order to enable scanner too.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by aldQueiroz on Oct 2nd, '15, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
aldQueiroz

Re: Samsung ULD "ERROR: VENDOR undefined , execution aborted

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 5th, '15, 20:08

Not sure where that installer is checking for the distro it installs onto. But maybe in the past you had the package lsb-release installed
which provides /etc/lsb-release which contains a standardised way to show the distro id and release.

Or you simply attach that install.sh script here so others can take a look what it checks for and where.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby aldQueiroz » Jun 5th, '15, 20:19

Ok, I'll try to post the script here, as soon as I can.
However, such package, lsb-release, is no longer included in Mageia 5?...

As said, I succeed installing of my printer CLX-3175 with Foomatic driver, which works practically out-of-the-box, but not the scanner function; but I found that I can use another driver specifically for scanner, " sane-xerox_mfp.5 ". I'll try this too and, if successful, one should rather use it instead of proprietary driver (Samsung hasn't being very reliable in terms of support for Linux...)

Regards!
aldQueiroz

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 5th, '15, 22:16

aldQueiroz wrote:However, such package, lsb-release, is no longer included in Mageia 5?...

That would surprise me as I've got it installed and it's in the repos:

Code: Select all
┌─[doktor5000@Mageia5]─[22:14:44]─[~]
└──╼ urpmf -f --name -m ^lsb
lsb-core-noarch-4.1-18.mga5.x86_64:Core Release
lsb-test-4.1-18.mga5.x86_64:Core Release
lsb-lib64-4.1-18.mga5.x86_64:Core Release
lsb-core-lib64-4.1-18.mga5.x86_64:Core Release
lsb-noarch-4.1-18.mga5.x86_64:Core Release
lsb-release-2.0-46.mga5.x86_64:Core Release
lsb-test-4.1-18.mga5.i586:Core 32bit Release
lsb-noarch-4.1-18.mga5.i586:Core 32bit Release
lsb-core-noarch-4.1-18.mga5.i586:Core 32bit Release
lsb-core-lib-4.1-18.mga5.i586:Core 32bit Release
lsb-lib-4.1-18.mga5.i586:Core 32bit Release
lsb-release-2.0-46.mga5.i586:Core 32bit Release
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby aldQueiroz » Jun 8th, '15, 15:22

Herr Doktor,
Here is the 'install.sh' script from Samsung's Unified Linux Driver ('uld_v1.00.06.tar.gz', dated 2013):
#!/bin/sh
SCRIPT_DIR=$(dirname "$0")

if sh "$SCRIPT_DIR/noarch/pre_install.sh" $@ ; then
   sh "$SCRIPT_DIR/noarch/worker.sh" $@ "printer-script"
   sh "$SCRIPT_DIR/noarch/worker.sh" $@ "scanner-script"
   sh "$SCRIPT_DIR/noarch/post_install.sh" $@
fi

I might upload here that archive from Samsung, but my connection (at work) isn't good enough...
Further comment: I 'downgraded' my system to Mageia 4 and, even so, that installer script fails!... Samsung changed something in its ULD that's causing that 'Vendor undefined' error... I'll try to recall a former version of ULD from my old HDD, which is currently out-line...

Regards!
aldQueiroz

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 9th, '15, 11:41

That script is calling other scripts. It may be easier in the folder where you extracted that unified linux driver, to simply run
grep -Ri 'vendor undefined' .
or search for whatever part of the exact error message to see which script throws that error, and in there comment out or adapt the check for the vendor.

Or post a link to the latest driver on Samsung's site you're using for your printer.
----
doktor5000

Postby aldQueiroz » Jun 9th, '15, 14:45

Ok, noticed. I'll try that
grep -Ri 'vendor undefined' .

once I get some free time (the worst part..!) to 'play' with my Linux desktop at home! :mrgreen:

Meantime, here comes the URL for Samsung Unified Linux Driver download:http://www.samsung.com/br/support/model/CLX-3175N/XAZ-downloads
(I tried to attach the ULD file -- v. 1.00.006, dated 2013! -- here before, but failed...; at office my connection is very slow...)

Thank you, Doktor!
aldQueiroz

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 9th, '15, 18:02

As my portuguese is not that good, here's a link for the english driver:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owner ... 3175FN/XAA
Short looks seems VENDOR is read out of OEM_FILE - which is never defined in the first place from what I can see, so you have to provide it as argument to the script.
Goes like this: install.sh calls noarch/preinstall.sh which calls noarch/worker.sh which calls noarch/packet.sh which then reads the noarch/config file which specifies the oem.conf file which has Vendor=Samsung.
noarch/packet.sh read this Vendor information into a variable and test if that variable is non-empty.

Although here the installation looks OK. Can you please show a complete attempt on your box running the install.sh script together with the complete output?
It looks like this here:

┌─[doktor5000@Mageia5]─[18:01:46]─[~/uld]
└──╼ sudo ./install.sh
**** Running install
**** Press Enter to continue or q and then Enter to quit:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS SOFTWARE PRODUCT

[... snip ...]

**** Do you agree ? [y/n]: y
**** Registering cups backend ...
**** Are you going to use network devices? If yes, it is recommended to configure your firewall.
**** If you want to configure firewall, enter 'y'. To skip, enter 'n' or just press enter: cd /home/doktor5000/Dokumente
**** CUPS restart OK
**** Registering SANE backend ...
**** Restarting udev ...
**** Install finished
----
doktor5000

Postby aldQueiroz » Jun 9th, '15, 19:07

Well, I'm afraid my german is weaker than my Linux skills too! ;)
I'll have to look into each file you mentioned, until find that oem.conf from the uld gz file I downloaded from Portuguese site (could it be different from English site?...)
I have another doubt: how I get such report when running ./install.sh?
└──╼ sudo ./install.sh
**** Running install
(...)
**** Install finished

Because, when I run ./install.sh in former attempts, it called a graphical front-end for the whole installing process...

As soon as I can, I'll try to get the older version of uld gz file, the one I got before 2013; indeed, I did install the device a couple of weeks ago using that old uld file, before I had to replace the old 80 GB HDD. Quite probably that old version of uld should work, but, besides it would be an immediate solution, it wouldn't clarify why the latest uld version is having this trouble... We should rather find out where something is missing, don't you think?! :geek:

As mentioned, Foomatic driver works fine to enable Samsung's CLX-3170/3175 Multifunctional models for printing, but not for scanning; then, another possible solution would be, instead of Samsung's uld, get installed Foomatic and also "sane-xerox_mfp ", which works for these Samsung devices too (and some others) according to:<http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-xerox_mfp.5.html> . However, one can't yet get sane-xerox_mfp files from its own site, there's no a download link for them...

Notwithstanding, I've just found out three locations where I can get sane-xerox_mfp files:
1. http://www.filewatcher.com/m/sane-xerox_mfp.5.gz.1143-0.html
2. http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mageia/cauldron/i586/media/core/release/libsane1-1.0.24-10.mga5.i586.html (Mageia 5! :roll: ) -- but my system arch is x86_64... would it work?
3. http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/opensuse/factory/x86_64/sane-backends-32bit-1.0.24-4.2.x86_64.html Ok, it's x86_64 arch, but, for OpenSuse!... better not!

Interesting! Besides all the frustration I had facing so much trouble to install correctly a 'damned' printer, I'm getting much more knowledge about my own system as a whole! (I feel a little like Dr. Richard Stallman !! :ugeek: )

Danke!, Herr Doktor! :)
Last edited by aldQueiroz on Jun 9th, '15, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
aldQueiroz

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 9th, '15, 20:08

aldQueiroz wrote:Well, I'm afraid my german is weaker than my Linux skills too! ;)
I'll have to look into each file you mentioned, until find that oem.conf from the uld gz file I downloaded from Portuguese site (could it be different from English site?...)

Could be. Also on the english site the only valid models are CLX-3175FN and CLX-3175WN, there's no CLX-3175N

This is the ULD version I have, from the english site mentioned above:
┌─[doktor5000@Mageia5]─[20:05:43]─[~]
└──╼ md5sum uld_v1.00.06.tar.gz
94ee35696ddad334a53f76c9606607a5  uld_v1.00.06.tar.gz

aldQueiroz wrote:I have another doubt: how I get such report when running ./install.sh?
└──╼ sudo ./install.sh
**** Running install
(...)
**** Install finished

Because, when I run ./install.sh in former attempts, it called a graphical front-end for the whole installing process...

Nothing special, simply run the install.sh script and copy the output.
----
doktor5000

Re: Samsung ULD "ERROR: VENDOR undefined ,..."[SOLVED]

Postby aldQueiroz » Oct 2nd, '15, 01:42

Hi!
It's been a long time without posting about this issue. I've just found a way to bypass the problem about how to get Samsung MFP scanner works through net; instead of installing Samsung "ULD", we CAN instead keep on using foomatic driver for printing function (which works, acceptably) and, if libsane1 library ("SANE - local and remote scanner access. This package contains the sane library​ "... including files "/usr/lib/sane/libsane-xerox_mfp.so.1" and "/usr/lib/sane/libsane-xerox_mfp.so.1.0.24" !) be installed, it will be enough to edit a little the file /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf, adding a line with the IP address of your printer, like this:
#Samsung CLX-3170fn & CLX-3175FW
#usb 0x04e8 0x342a
[b]tcp 192.168.178.50 [/b]

of course the IP here is just an example...
I found a page "in German" from a Ubuntu wiki describing how to do: "http://ubuntuwiki.de/files/samsung-laserdrucker.html" Well, I don't read in German (yet...!), but it was not difficult to understand what I had to do to get scanner function of my Samsung MFP finally working through net! At last!!
I hope this tips be useful to others.

Regards!
aldQueiroz

Return to Printers and Scanners