Installing networked printer+scanner Canon MX925

Installing networked printer+scanner Canon MX925

Postby DasRakel » May 29th, '14, 23:18

I have this new Canon Pixma MX925 attached to the network. I'd like to print and scan with it, the thing is attached to a Windows computer over USB, and it's also connected to the wifi network.

I don't know how to add it to Mageia, the last printer I just added smb://OOIEVAAR/canonprinter to CUPS. This time I don't know what to enter, especially if I want to print over the network without the Samba share.

Canon has drivers on its site (here). I downloaded cnijfilter-mx920series-3.90-1-rpm, running the included install script says "Could not detect the target printer". So I installed the RPM's, I'm not sure that did anything.

If I get printing to work, there's still scanning. I can scan directly from the machine's interface to a Windows computer on the network that has the software, is it possible to do this on my Mageia computer?
DasRakel

Re: Installing networked printer+scanner Canon MX925

Postby doktor5000 » May 30th, '14, 00:01

Why not do it the other way round, connect it to your linux box and share it via Samba to Windows?

Per my understanding and from what you described, if the printer is not shared by Windows, you cannot print without the Samba share.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » May 30th, '14, 06:33

If it is connected to the wifi network, it must have an IP address. In this event, you should be able to specify that IP address and connect with the printer.

I talk to a networked Brother color laser, and I used the print settings tool that is found in tools/system tools. There was a textbox in there where I added the IP of the printer, and the system found it.

Edit:
I just took a look at cups, and it also has a place to enter the IP address of the printer.
jiml8

Postby DasRakel » May 30th, '14, 10:02

Heh, I can't move the printer because I installed it for my mum, it's her printer, and she'll want it in her home office.
It's connected to the network, doesn't that mean it's its own printer server?

Yes CUPS can add a printer IP, the printer's IP is 192.168.1.6.

*I've tried some new things today:
I've attached it to my computer with USB and managed to install the drivers. It's URI is now usb://Canon/MX920%20series?serial=304078&interface=1, and when I print, tasks get added to its queue, but they don't print. There's no clear errormessage I can do something with, the status on the tasks is just "stopped".

Also I've found that in the printer's menus I could enable WSD and LPR protocols. Now I've tried adding "lpd://192.168.1.6/queue" to CUPS and printing to that, but well it doesn't work either. possibly because the queue's name is not "queue".
DasRakel

Return to Printers and Scanners