[SOLVED] Local USB printer not found in Mageia 3

[SOLVED] Local USB printer not found in Mageia 3

Postby eldiener » Jan 16th, '14, 02:50

I have a K9A2 Platinum mobo with plenty of built-in USB 2.0 ports. Off of one of those ports I have attached an HP 3005d laserjet printer.

Mageia 3 does not find that printer. Both Windows ( Vista, 7 ) and other Linux distros ( CentOS, Fedora, Suse, Mint ) have automatically found the printer and set it up for me. I am running KDE on Mageia 3. Am I missing some package which would help Mageia 3 find and setup my local printer for me ? Any help in getting Mageia 3 to recognize the printer would be appreciated. Thanks !
Last edited by eldiener on Jan 17th, '14, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.
eldiener

Re: Local USB printer not found in Mageia 3

Postby filip » Jan 16th, '14, 13:53

filip

Postby winstonteacox » Jan 16th, '14, 14:08

Hi!

I have this problem all the time (since mandriva 2009) with a HP-deskjet and others have it too ...

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1454

Try the following:

Disconnect the printer, then connect the printer again and immediately start the add-printer procedure in MCC.

or

Disconnect the printer, start the add-printer procedure in MCC and immediately connect the printer.

In most cases the printer will be recognized now ...

Hope this helps ...

cheers,
Bernd
Now after my words of profound wisdom, I'm going back to procrastinating.
winstonteacox

Postby eldiener » Jan 17th, '14, 02:44

filip wrote:Did you Configure printing and scanning?

When I clicked on "Setup the printer(s), the print job queues..." it showed no printers. When I tried to add one it did not find the HP Laserjet p3005d. Now when I try it again, it does find the printer and I am able to set it up. How odd ! At least Mageia 3 now has found my local printer. I have no idea what kept it from finding it before.
eldiener

Return to Printers and Scanners