[HOWTO] Canon CQue for LBP7750Cdn and similar

[HOWTO] Canon CQue for LBP7750Cdn and similar

Postby morgano » Jan 11th, '13, 00:52

This post describes configuring the printer to use PCL printer language.
See post below viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4203#p72076 for UFRII printer language.

This printer is a fast quick-starting nice colour laser-jet with working low standby mode, ethernet connected.

Canon make linux "drivers" for it. The problem is that they do not post information how to install or configure them.
And support desk is not helpful. Idiotic, as they made a printer and linux utility, then hide all info how to set it up!??
I made it work last year by trial and error, but now found that the manual get installed when you install the rpm from Canon.
(Update: i wrote the above when Mageia was release 2 = some years ago, so Canon support may have improved.)

The "driver" if i understand correctly maybe is not more than a configuration tool, that feed PPD and settings to CUPS?
I have tried and failed to set it up manually, and CQue (or UFRII install, se post below) makes it work much better.

____PROCEDURE

1) If not done already: MCC>Hardware>Printers, it will ask to install task-printing-server and task-printing-hp (with dependencies), let it, then exit MCC.
On mga5 I experienced it need some more packages, so I installed task-printing and that solved it.

2) get CQue rpm package 32 or 64 bit from canon, i.e:
https://www.canon.se/support/consumer_p ... %20(64-bit)

3) Install it, as root: urpmi g12bmeng_lindeb64_0204.rpm (This is CQue 2.0.4 Linux 64bit rpm, of course get later if you find)
and let it pull dependencies from mageia. It also say it execute the installer CQue but it do not, so we do that at 5) below.

Workaround for having it work on Mageia 3 (try this also if future tries fails) or maybe it is dependant on used version of canon rpm...
The installer did not work correctly on mga3(RC), but solved by as root execute:
# rmdir /usr/share/cups/model/cel/; ln -s /opt/cel/ppd /usr/share/cups/model/cel Details in next post.
End of workaround.

4) Now you can read two manual pdf at /usr/share/doc/CQue2.0/

5) Make a desktop program start link to /opt/cel/bin/cque
(on one version cque did not exist, but it worked to run /opt/cel/bin/CQue.exe instead. (yes it actually is named .exe !),
Set it to run as root, run in terminal. (it happened it crash and is not entirely happy but it works OK)
Starting it you may in terminal see it wants /usr/lib/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so - but it seems it do not need it.
(can be had by installing the 32 bit package of gnome-keyring)

Go by the manual (see 4 above);
File>Create, enter queue name, queue type i.e PXL, Next, Connection TCP/IP, Enter IP, Next, Browse -> another window opens (maybe in background!), pick printer, OK, Next, Next, Here (Print optins) i had to change to Color (Some settings here make printer fail so do not change until you have made sucessful test print, then rerun CQue), Create, OK. To exit: Cancel, OK.

The printer then shows up in MCC, and of course also in CUPS interface http://localhost:631

If you do not need it, remove the hplip thingy in system tray: # urpme hplip-gui

____NOTES

Following seem to happen when not installing task-printing initially on Mageia 5: ( Not experienced with other versions, just follow 1 ) above)
CUPS log said filter failed and the log indicated that file /usr/bin/sicgsfilter was missing. remedy: # ln -s /opt/cel/bin/sicgsfilter /usr/bin/sicgsfilter
Cups log then indicated it need more packages; installing task-printing solved that.

Page languages
I have only tried using printer language PXL, aka PCL6.
If you choose PCL it is PCL5e.
PostScript only works if you purchase an expensive physical program module to plug in.
I have no idea what raw means here
Update: For UFRII se separate post below :)

Transfer protocols
The printer receives data quickest using "TCP/IP9100" but IPP and LPD also works.

Reaching the printer
o Settings:
-- If installed for PCL: launch CQue, see 5) above
-- If installed for UFRII: launch cngplp as root, se the post below on UFRII
- above are probably the best reliable methods to change default settings -
o MCC>Hardware>Printers
o CUPS interface http://localhost:631
o Printer status like number of printed pages, and direct print of a couple formats: se printer directly in http://prin.ter.IP.adress

Memory expansion
Standard laptop type RAM modules type DDR333, 333MHz, PC2700, 200p SODIMM, 2,5V CL2,5 apparently works splendid. I scavenged one from my old laptop when i upgraded it. 256MB get you a long way.
BUG; misbehaving printing rotated images
The Canon LBP7750Cdn, (and CQue 2.02, mga2) stalls or misbehaves badly on documents from LibreOffice Draw if it contains an jpeg image rotated using LibreOffice. (This took me several hours...) It did not help to export as pdf, then print. Finally i deleted the images, rotated them in gwenview, and just mounted them in LibreOffice. Full OK.

Still after many years no firmware update (feb 2018)

Avoid expensive toner cartridges
1) put tape on the cartridges optical plastic ends. It will then print more before stopping. It will count the pages anyway, calculate, and stop before it is empty lying about it is empty and never even attempt to try printing with that cartridge again.
Cassettes have a small chip it stores info onto, and that can easily be changed.
2) buy extra chips on i.e Ebay. Even an "empty" cartridge can continue much more then - but not forget the tape mentioned above - *first*. Chips come like cartridges for more or less page counts.
3) It is possible to buy more toner powder. Also in kit with chips, tool, instruction.
4) Or buy refilled cartridges. Affix the tape i mentioned above on them.

Waste Toner Container
When full, (after about 17k pages here) just empty it. (careful...) i.e drill/melt a hole, and afterwards put a tape on the hole.

Adding names making this HOWTO more easily to find: Canon i-SENSYS LBP7750Cdn LBP7750C LBP7750 LBP 7750 Cdn 7750Cdn 7750C
Last edited by morgano on Feb 28th, '18, 18:54, edited 14 times in total.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

WORKAROUND for Mageia 3 Re: [HOWTO] Canon CQue

Postby morgano » May 14th, '13, 18:28

NOTE: The essence of all below is incorporated in step 3 above

------------------------------------------------

I installed the same rpm package on mga2 and mga3: Canon CQue 2.0.4 64 bit rpm
CQue works by the manual on mga2, but on mga3 there are 2 problems:
1. Manual say to start it as root by # cque, but that does not exist
2. It do not find the printer definition files

When installing the package from Canon by running
# urpmi g12bmeng_lindeb64_0204.rpm
it ends with the message:
Running CQue setup from /opt/cel

But it seem that that installer do not work properly.
However here follows the investigation and workarounds :)

Minor mystery:
Command cque works on mga2 laptop, but not on mga3 desktop
On mga2 there is the link /usr/bin/cque that points to /opt/cel/bin/cque
On mga3 neither /usr/bin/cque nor /opt/cel/bin/cque exists.
I do not understand is where cque comes from, as there is no cque script inluded in the rpm package?!
Anyhow, on in both systems i can run it using /opt/cel/bin/CQue.exe (yes .exe but not MSwindows)

Major problem: CQue find no printer definition files
Investigation:
From CQue2.0ReferenceManual.pdf page 62 i got the idea to run it with debug output:
/opt/cel/bin/CQue.exe -v -Z2
When printer model selection dialog pops up the last debug lines are:

__On Mageia 2, Laptop (working OK)
getPPDSearchPath #2 (counter=3)=/usr/share/ppd/cel
listPPD(/usr/share/ppd/cel) <<<< Yes there exist many *.ppd.gz files
listPPD(counter=128)

__On Mageia 3, Desktop (lists no printer)
getPPDSearchPath #2 (counter=11)=/usr/share/cups/model/cel <<<< Here, and
listPPD(/usr/share/cups/model/cel) <<<<< here different path than on laptop
listPPD(counter=0) <<<< I presume it means how many it found

Comparing them,
mga2: /usr/share/ppd/cel/ exist and contain 427 regular *.ppd.gz files
mga3: /usr/share/cups/model/cel exist but is empty
On both systems the above cel folders have rights dr-x-wSr-t
On both systems /opt/cel/ppd contain 427 *.ppd.gz files

=> Workaround om mga3: # rmdir /usr/share/cups/model/cel/; ln -s /opt/cel/ppd /usr/share/cups/model/cel

Notes:
1) I prefer to save space: link instead of having copies as it is originally on mga2
2) I have no idea why /usr/share/cups/model/cel had rights dr-x-wSr-t or what it means...
3) There also exist /opt/share/ppd but it is empty
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Re: [HOWTO] Canon UFRII for LBP7750Cdn and similar

Postby morgano » Feb 28th, '18, 17:19

Here follows method for printer language UFRII ( See top post is for printer language PCL variants PCL6 ("PXL") and PCL5e ("PCL" ) )
Nevertheless you benefit from reading top post first, especially notes.
Below is tested on fresh Mageia 6, march 2018:

1) If not done already: MCC>Hardware>Printers, it will ask to install task-printing-server and task-printing-hp (with dependencies), let it, then exit MCC.

2) get UFRII tar.gz package from Canon, found at: https://www.canon.se/support/consumer_p ... pe=drivers
I got linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken.tar.gz

3) Unpack it. In there you will find importantly:
Documents/ : one short manual for install, and the "small one" really opens http://ug.oipsrv.net/USRMA-0587-zz-DR-e ... /home.html
64-bit_Driver/RPM/ and /32-bit_Driver/RPM/: three .rpm each for 32/64 bit installs respectively.
Sources/ - yes there are even sources supplied :)
install.sh : a rather complicated script that checks system and attempt to install/upgrade/replace packages, and restart service. /!\ Note that it is not adapted to Mageia!

It is a good idea to open and browse the documents quickly.
It is probably a good idea to fetch that whole html tree from Canon for local storage.
- What a massive amount of information, when it really was easy in the end...!

4) Installing packages: (avoid the alien install.sh)
In the RPM/ folder in 3) suiting your system (32 or 64 bit), simply as root issue urpmi *

Note for 64 bit systems: By dependency it also installs the 32-bit packages liblzma5, libxml2_2, libzlib1. This is an effect of that our 64 bit packages are named lib64*; we already have lib64lzma5 lib64xml2_2 lib64zlib1 installed it but the canon packages references them without "64". I guess an alternative would be to install the RPM/* packages without dependencies by using rpm -ivh --nodeps * instead of using urpmi, and then create symlinks so the already installed real 64 bit libs are used. However that could create future problems if real 32-bitters would be needed in the future. Apparently it works OK just letting urpmi fetch the 32-bitters - no further analysis done than just testing printing works OK. Neither installing them nor symlinking do NOT work.

5) Run Canon Setup Utility: as root run cnsetuputil, button down left "Add", choose your printer.
I chose "socket", and the IP address to my printer (192.168.x.xxx). Done.

6) Go to MCC>Hardware>Printers : Found the printer! Double clicked it,
and get lots of settings such as double sided, etc. I did not change anything, just chosed test print -> print out in colour OK. :)

In my test restarting cups was not needed but if this do not work for you try that or reboot your system.

7) Changing settings: there is a specific panel: as root launch cngplp. There you can change things such as brightness and gamma, smoothing, pages per sheet, binding, collate... It is probably good to make a desktop shortcut to it. For more descriptions of the settings see http://ug.oipsrv.net/USRMA-0587-zz-DR-e ... inter.html

If you do not need it, remove the hplip thingy in system tray: # urpme hplip-gui

Read the NOTES at bottom of top post.
Last edited by morgano on May 21st, '18, 22:35, edited 3 times in total.
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 28th, '18, 22:45

morgano wrote:2) get UFRII tar.gz package from Canon, found at: https://www.canon.se/support/consumer_p ... %20(64-bit)

That link seems to be broken.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [HOWTO] Canon CQue for LBP7750Cdn and similar

Postby morgano » Mar 1st, '18, 01:51

Ah, thank you Doctor for proof reading, and Ken for the link fixing :)
morgano

Re: [HOWTO] Canon CQue for LBP7750Cdn and similar

Postby morgano » Jun 16th, '19, 11:45

Problems currently :cry:
Last weeks update to ghostscript-9.26-1.4 on Mageia 6 https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24786
breaks compatibility with old CQue 2.x ; error is "Filter failed"
Workaround: Downgrading to previous version make it work again.
Note it consist of several rpm packages, see https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24786#c2.

And the new Canon CQue 4.0-1 setup program fail to launch on both Mageia 6 as well as on a fresh install of mga7 RC1.

I dont have time to dig into it now.
morgano

Postby morgano » Sep 27th, '19, 22:52

Log of successful install of UFRII version 5.10 date 2020-01-30 in Mageia 7 64 bit Plasma.
Verified update procedure of UFRII to 5.40 months after system upgrade from Mageia 7 to 8

(...and at that point also switching to printer a used model LBP7680Cx as there is a minor hardware fault in my previous one.
Canon support are friendly but corparate intention is to not provide spare parts after 7 years, and test modes are disabled, so i throw away the 99,9% OK printer :( )

For the alternative CQue driver, see other post above.

1) MCC>Hardware>Printers, it will ask to install task-printing-server and task-printing-hp (with dependencies), let it, then exit MCC.

2) At: https://www.canon.se/support/consumer_p ... pe=drivers
Fetch: "UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver for Linux V5.40"
Unpack, go into it, and in subfolder /Documents/ : take a look at the nice html documents
Note that the users guide is only a link to online html documentation. I failed to retrieve it completely as well as find a pdf.
Here is a pdf for the elder 3.70 version: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/030002984 ... g-uken.pdf

3) Open the subfolder /64-bit_Driver/RPM/, or /32-bit_Driver/RPM/ suitable for your system, and install the sole file by issuing # urpmi *
(Canon manual suggests to use "rpm -ivh" for a "Red Hat Type Distribution" but i used urpmi as above)

4) The PPD files: Go into the subfolder /PPD/RPM/ and issue # rpm -ivh *
Addendum: cnl7750czk.ppd is used, i see from the test print. With description = Canon LBP7750C-5460-UFR-II

5) Restart CUPS: # systemctl restart cups.service

6) Configure: # cnsetuputil2
I pressed "Add", selected my printer family, selected "socket", and entered the local IP of my printer (192.168.0.203), pressed Register, and Close

7) In MCC>Hardware>Printers, you can now see the printer. Double click it and print a test page :) Also go through the settings to make it as you like it.

Change printer settings
# cngplp2
It seems neccesary to set 2 side printing at least for some programs to offer to print duplex (both sides), i.e if not, Boomaga tells user to turn the paper manually.
(i have not investigated how this overlaps the settings in other printer dialogs)

Check installed versions
Driver:
$ rpm -qa | grep cnrdrvcups
cnrdrvcups-ufr2-uk-5.40-1

PPD:
$ rpm -qa | grep cnrcups | grep zk

Later upgrading to newer version
From manual at 2), verified working version 5.10 installed on Mageia 7, system upgrade to Mageia 8, later UFRII update to 5.40

A) Fetch the new driver from Canon and unpack it, see 1)

B) Delete the registered printer: issue # cnsetuputil2 , Select the printer to be deleted, click [Delete], [Close]

C) The new driver: like 3) but use "# rpm -Uvh" instead of "# urpmi"

D) The new PPD files: like 4) but use "# rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs *"

E) Optionally verify the versions per "Check installed versions" above.

F) Follow steps 5), 6), 7)

Uninstall

A) In MCC > Hardware > Printer : remove the printer.

B) In drakrpm search and select all installed cnrcups... packages, and the cnrdrvcups package, and uninstall them.
morgano

Return to Printers and Scanners