[SOLVED] Canon Pixma ip4850 not working

[SOLVED] Canon Pixma ip4850 not working

Postby lynx13 » Aug 17th, '12, 17:19

Hello!

I invested about 8 hours into the setup but somehow I can not get this specific printer to work properly.

The printer is connected via USB on my router, so I can print from everywhere in my apartment.

I tried the following things:

1) Setup the printer with the Mageia Control Center. I tried all of the four options there (CUPS+Gutenprint and Foomatic). Test pages aren't printed, the only applications working with this setup are Firefox and Thunderbird. All other apps, e.g. Okular for PDF or LibreOffice or Gwenview, etc., won't print anything.

2) So I downloaded the offical packages from the Canon homepage. These are very old, of September 2010. First I tried to install the packages, but when I do this I get a libtiff.so.3 error and the main package won't install. I tried symlinking and copying the files to /usr/lib64, but
Code: Select all
locate
does not list the files. I downloaded libtiff3 for FC, the package seems to install, but won't be listed in the package manager. No success in telling the system that he should use libtiff5 instead of libtiff3.

3) So I tried the source package. You'll find a suitable PPD there, but then he complains about
pstocanonij
not being installed. After compiling and make and make install the files, I get the suitable program. I copy it into /usr/lib/cups/filter and /usr/lib64/cups/filter. No complaining anymore, but still no success in printing anything.

I really do not know what to do now. I lost a lot of nerves and I finally give up, so maybe you have other ideas to get this crap working.

No more Canon anymore. But for now, it's too late.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
lynx
Last edited by lynx13 on Jun 13th, '14, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
You lost me because of the mess and unworkable Mageia 6.
lynx13

Re: Canon Pixma ip4850 not working

Postby tom_ » Aug 17th, '12, 20:14

I haven't that hardware so I can't help you,
but if you have compiled the driver maybe you need only to configure something.

here there are some links about that printer:

ubuntu guide
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... erInUbuntu

ubuntu forum thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1802858
tom_

Postby lynx13 » Aug 17th, '12, 21:23

@tom: First of all, thank you for replying.

The second link you posted is already known to me and this procedure doesn't work. You can not install this printer with a simple
./install.sh
, it will say something like "package management system cannot be identified" or other weird stuff.

This is due to the fact that these RPMs are for SuSE, RedHat only.

I already read a-n-y-thing I could find about this getting to work on my system and it seems it *IS* working for some users, but only with libtiff.so.3, which is not supported in x64 and also symlinking it to libtiff.so.5 does not work for me, as I said before.

Need other good advices.

Anyway, thanks tom!
lynx13

Postby David_Batson » Aug 17th, '12, 22:19

Here is how I got my Canon Printer working: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2800
David_Batson

Re: [SOLVED] Canon Pixma ip4850 not working

Postby lynx13 » Jun 13th, '14, 15:45

There are no difficult stunts to do anymore: The printer just isn't listed by this type, choose

IP4800

from the setup when configuring Gutenberg drivers.

From there you need to change the default tray to "Cassette" and color "CMYK", if I remember this correct. Everything should be running from now on!
lynx13

Return to Printers and Scanners