Duplex option in okular print dialog greyed out

Duplex option in okular print dialog greyed out

Postby blas » May 7th, '11, 18:03

Hi,
I'm using a samsung clp-300 printer shared from a windows host via samba. With mandriva 2010 it was working perfectly, even the manual duplexing selected in the print dialog. Recently this function got broken. In okular/print/options/ duplex printing is greyed out both in mageia beta2, kubuntu 10.10 and kubuntu 11.04 (I also wanted to test it in opensuse but was unable to install the printer via samba). In search for the cause of the regression I contacted the author of the foo2qpdl driver, hoping he has an idea but I think he didn't understand my problem. I tried to explain it again but he deleted my post and closed the topic. I just wanted to get an answer if he had changed something in the driver or it was a kde problem introduced with some new qt-stuff or kde4.6.

If I check my problem with google I only find bug reports about the qt print system which kde is using not obeying the default cups settings. But my problem is that I can't even change the duplex setting in system-config-printer either.

Making me more confused is that if I install the splix driver in mageia and select it as the driver of the printer then suddenly the duplex option is selectable in okular. Only problem is that splix isn't working at all, can't even print a test page.

Do you have any idea what is going on? I don't even know which package should I file a bug report against.
Thank you!
blas

Re: Duplex option in okular print dialog greyed out

Postby blas » May 8th, '11, 18:46

update:
I found the cause and a possible solution too!
While comparing the old mandriva rpm with the newer mageia one I found that the missing duplex option in the kde print dialogs is caused by the following lines removed from the newer ppd files included in the foo2zjs package:
Code: Select all
*OpenUI *Duplex/Duplex Printing: PickOne
*FoomaticRIPOption Duplex: enum CmdLine A
*OrderDependency: 210 AnySetup *Duplex
*DefaultDuplex: None
*Duplex DuplexNoTumble/Long Edge (Standard): "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: Duplex=DuplexNoTumble"
*FoomaticRIPOptionSetting Duplex=DuplexNoTumble: "-d4 "
*Duplex DuplexTumble/Short Edge (Flip): "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: Duplex=DuplexTumble"
*FoomaticRIPOptionSetting Duplex=DuplexTumble: "-d5 "
*Duplex None/Off: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: Duplex=None"
*FoomaticRIPOptionSetting Duplex=None: "-d1 "
*CloseUI: *Duplex

By inserting these lines to the new samsung-clp-300.ppd file and selecting it while installing the printer, the manual duplex functionality is back and working as before. Reading through the changelog with more attention this time I have the definite proof that the regression was caused by intention:
2010-03-07 Rick Richardson <rick.richardson@comcast.net>
* Fix FAIL with cupstestppd PPD/*.ppd:
ManualDuplex -> no (replaced by GnomeManualDuplex)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g-manual-duplex/

So it appears that the ppd files faild the conformance test, so he removed the duplex option from all of them. I just don't understand why didn't he tell me it? Maybe my English is not good enough but he really could have done me the favor by saying rtfm (the changelog in this case) and admitting that he broke it by intention. By the way I ran cpustestppd on my modified Samsung-clp-300.ppd file (with the only difference being those extra 10 lines) and the result was a PASS. So if these lines break something then its definitely not in the case of the clp-300.ppd
blas

Return to Printers and Scanners