Setting up an HP MFP printer for scanning

Setting up an HP MFP printer for scanning

Postby rodgoslin » May 22nd, '20, 07:49

I'm sure that this topic must have been raised in the past, but a search did not find anything significant. The situation is, that I've recently had my benign HP CP1515n printer die on me. I took the opportunity to incorporate scanning, with the purchase of an HP MFP 283fdw. Setting it up as a printer was no real problem, but incorporating the scanner function is. The scanner function within the Mga Control Centre, does not locate it, but does indicate that multi function devices are setup within the printer setups. here I've drawn a blank. There is a setup for the generic group m278 to 281, which works. Even Hp doesn't seem to have cottoned on to the m283, since the user manual, too only covers m278 to 281, despite the 283 being only a variant. So, having setup the printer and verified that it does, in fact work, I'm unable to locate any options whereby the scanner can be used. I'd be very grateful for any info on getting the scanner side of the printer working. I'm not overlly concerned. The scanner function of the m283 is no great shakes, as a scanner, having a resolution of only 300dpi, while the printer can do 600dpi, and an Epson perfection 370, that I commonly use, I belive will scan up to 1300dpi
rodgoslin

Re: Setting up an HP MFP printer for scanning

Postby doktor5000 » May 22nd, '20, 13:07

How did you setup the printer initially? Using MCC (system-config-printer) or using HP device manager (hp-setup) ?

Also, please provide the output as root of
Code: Select all
sane-fine-scanner
scanimage -L
hp-doctor -g
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » May 22nd, '20, 17:26

The output of your request, as follows

[root@down rod]# sane-fine-scanner
bash: sane-fine-scanner: command not found
[root@down rod]# scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
[root@down rod]# hp-doctor -g
error: Please run hp-doctor as a non-root user
[root@down rod]#

On a laptop running mga 7, I used the Mageia Control Centre printer setup system, which was able to locate the driver information for this printer. or should I say printers with the same name sequence (M278-281, as I recollect), which worked. On my main PC, which still runs mga 5, those drivers were not available, and I simply picked another set of HP drivers for another MFP machine, which also seems to work. Instructions in the scanner setup in the mageia Control Center, indicated that the scanner setup for MFP machines was to be found in the printer setup system, if i have read the instuctions correctly, and I quote:-
The Hewlett-Packard Most HP OfficeJet, LaserJet, and PSC (Printer/Scanner/Copier) multi-function peripherals must be configured by system-config-printer.
You can launch system-config-printer from the %s Control Center in Hardware section.

You may be aware, from previous earlier postings, that I'm not happy wit alterations to KDE, in respect of the Konqueror File Manager, for Mga 6 and 7. As oine involved with IT from way back, I'm only too well aware that many changes to software are not driven by the need to improve the software, but are simply done to maintain the code writers in paid employment. A fact, that has come up in as recently as last week, with the changes to a graphics display system, foisted on the users despite being loathed by about 90percent of said users
rodgoslin

Postby xboxboy » May 23rd, '20, 04:14

What is the purpose of your scanning? If just to scan documents to PDF, then (assuming that machine has scan to network, which I think it would) I would set up a Samba share, and just, from the physical HP unit, scan it to the samba share: I've done this with my business for several HP's over the years, works really, really well.

If you want to scan to jpg to modify and mess with them, then yes, you'll need to mess around and get the xane bakend working: It can be done.

Of, another possibility is to use the embedded webserver page of the HP to scan from, but this is slow and frustrating.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11638 Is how I went about setting up my samba share: Things maybe slightly different now, but we should be able to walk you through it.
xboxboy

Postby doktor5000 » May 23rd, '20, 11:37

rodgoslin wrote:[code][root@down rod]# sane-fine-scanner
bash: sane-fine-scanner: command not found

Sorry, that was a type, please try again with
sane-find-scanner

rodgoslin wrote:[root@down rod]# hp-doctor -g
error: Please run hp-doctor as a non-root user

As it says, please run as a regular user. Wasn't aware that this can't be run as root nowadays.

Also, how is the printer connected? Via USB, or only via network?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » May 23rd, '20, 23:28

Doktor 500. Set below the amended response from the queries:-

[root@down rod]# sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
# Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.
# If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".

# No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and have setup
# the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.
[root@down rod]# exit
exit
[rod@down ~]$ hp-doctor

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.14.6)
Self Diagnse Utility and Healing Utility ver. 1.0

Copyright (c) 2001-13 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

warning: mageia distro is not found in AUTH_TYPES

Checking for Deprecated items....
error: This distro (i.e unknown 0.0) is either deprecated or not yet supported.
The diagnosis is limited on unsupported platforms. Do you want to continue?(y=yes*, n=no):

Sorry about missing the non-root requirement fot hp-doctor. However, I did try the HP-doctor command on my laptop running mga 7, and that did elicit a resopnse, so presumably this is an mga6/7 facility. It produced a very long responc, which given a bit more time, I could set the laptop up for access to the forum. However, in the printout from the command, there was nothing regarding scanner facilities on an MFP
Returning the the Mageia Control Centre case, the 'install scanner' option is solely for stand-alones scanners, as evinced by the listing of compatible scanners, all of which were stand-alone units. As I mentioned earlier, there was advice as to MFP scanners, referring the installation of MFP devices back the the 'install printr'e option. I've found the same problem of no scanner functionality on the laptop running Mga 7. I'm wondering whether i ought to take this up as a bug, since the Control Centre scanner install refers you back to the printer install, which appears to have no functionality in regard to incorporated scanners.
In respect of connections, the new printer scanner has connectability via USB and networks. I particularly chose this device, since along with ethernet connectivity, it also connects over wifi, which, in a practical sense is much more useful, in a domestic environment than ethernet
rodgoslin

Postby banjo » May 24th, '20, 03:43

I have had luck installing difficult HP printers using hp-setup on the command line instead of using the MCC. In fact, my wireless Laser Jet will only set up that way. The MCC won't do it.

I have also had better luck if I supply the IP address of the printer to hp-setup directly instead of having it find the printer in a search.

# hp-setup -i <ip address of the printer>
Answer all the questions.

Just something else to try before you defenstrate the printer.
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Postby rodgoslin » May 24th, '20, 09:54

Ah, that does sugest a workable solution. However, when I tried it, it failed at the first hurdle as in the following quote

# hp-setup -i 192.168.1.192

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.14.6)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-13 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.)

--------------------------------
| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
--------------------------------

Num Connection Description
Type
-------- ---------- ----------------------------------------------------------
0* usb Universal Serial Bus (USB)
1 net Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection or JetDirect)
2 par Parallel Port (LPT:)

Enter number 0...2 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 1

Using connection type: net

error: Invalid device URI:
error: No device selected/spec

Are you sure that this covers the MFP printers? HP's web page for hp-setup makes no mention of the scanner functionality of the MFP
rodgoslin

Postby rodgoslin » May 24th, '20, 10:08

The machine I'm attempting to install on, BTW, does have HPLIP installed on it ( HPLIP-3.14.6 version was installed.) according to HP device manager
rodgoslin

Postby banjo » May 24th, '20, 13:13

I actually installed my HP3510 MFP using the MCC, but I had to use the hp-setup to install my HP P1102W LaserJet. The LaserJet has to download and install a plugin to get it working.

I am not familiar with your printer, so I thought there was a chance that hp-setup might work. Trial and error. Sounds like we got the error this time.

When I initially installed the HP3510 MFP I made a bad choice of the "device" to install and ended up with the printer but no scanner. I did some research and and re-installed choosing a different device. Here are my notes from that installation.

To install the HP 3510 printer I had to open the MCC and go to Hardware => Manage Printer etc.

Click on the + to add the printer. Then, click on Find Network Printer and in the box on the right side, enter the IP, 192.168.1.249. Then click on the Find button to find the printer.

Under the Network Printer item on the left, select "hp:/net/Deskjet_3510_series(192.168.1.249)"

Selecting JetDirect will install the printer, but not the scanner.

That will post a dialog box demanding a logon. None of the passwords will work for the logon. If you simply cancel the logon dialog, the installation will proceed normally. No idea what the logon dialog is for.

Here is a screen capture of the correct choice for the printer to get the scanner driver to be installed.

HP3510Install-2020-02-10_200037_758656755.png
Installation Choice
HP3510Install-2020-02-10_200037_758656755.png (63.3 KiB) Viewed 3356 times

I had to cancel out of the dialog box shown below demanding a login. I have no idea why that is there since I simply canceled the box and continued with the installation.

HP3510Install-2020-02-10_200123_935486737.png
Dialog Box
HP3510Install-2020-02-10_200123_935486737.png (78.46 KiB) Viewed 3356 times

Once again, different printer and different system, so this may be irrelevant to your situation.
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Postby rodgoslin » May 24th, '20, 21:11

Thanks, banjo. I've had no problems installing the printer. (well a few problems! Mga 5, which I use exclusively does not have the the setup for the m283 MFP, but using the setup for another MFP works beautifully, with all options fully catered for. The m283 is a really nice machine. I should have junked my old printer, long ago). It's the scanner option that I want to have available. It's not a serious thing, I have a stand alone scanner that is scads better than the one built into the m283, which Mga is happy with. I do have an Mga 7 installed on a laptop, which does have the required setup for installation under MCC, but for scanning, it is no different than my desktop setup under Mga5.
So, for printing, the new printer under Mga 5 or 7, is everything I could ask for. The laptop gets very little use. Strictly, it is only there for the one and only appllcation that requires Windows (To run a data logger) and has Mga on it for the odd application (Like Posterazor) than isn't on Mga5, and to see what is changed on new Mga issues. (Isn't the new issue coming out soon?)
rodgoslin

Postby Anglican » May 26th, '20, 10:51

A workaround for scanning would be to use the "scan to network share" feature, which is supported by that printer. I use this on my printer because scanning is not possible on linux otherwise (sane doesn't have a driver). It was easy to set up, the only issue was that my printer only supports SMB1 (it's a Dell C1765nfw) which meant enabling SMB1 in Samba - adding the global setting:

ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted

to smb.conf and also a suitable share for the scanner to use:

# Share for scanner
[scanner]
path = /home/<yourname>/scanner
valid users = <yourname>
read only = no

Finally, set a password with smbpasswd and you should be good to go. I don't find it especially inconvenient running the scan from the scanner since you need to be there anyway to insert the page(s) to be scanned.
Anglican

Postby filip » May 27th, '20, 10:33

For automatic discovery of printers (or any LAN device) you should check that Firewall allows ZeroConf, avahi, upnp and alike. The network itself (especially routers) should be configured like that too.
filip

Postby rodgoslin » Jun 6th, '20, 19:10

Well, I have found a workaround for the problem. Somewhat circuitous, but it really does work. My mobile phone running Android has no problem in locating the scanner function on the printer/scanner. A few seconds to install Mopria (a free app) on the phone. The phone's CX file explorer sends the scanned document file to one of my Drobo file servers and I can pick the file off that since I have the Dtrobo servers mounted with cifs. on all my Mageia machiner. So, a result. Rather a shame that I could not do this "in house", so to speak, with Mageia, but there it is. I've raised to issue as a bug report, but apart from a connection query, I've heard nothing back, yet. As a bonus, the Android app also finds the MFP M180n scanner function. A printer which I never did get to properly install, as a printer, in Mageia.
Thank you all for the suggestions
rodgoslin

Return to Printers and Scanners