New printer required [Closed]

New printer required [Closed]

Postby rodgoslin » May 16th, '20, 01:44

My venerable HP CP1515n seems to have come to the end of it's life, and I'm thinking of replacing it. I do have a yen for HP printers, but I'm open to suggestions. iThe HP M283fdw Multi-Function Printer appeals, Largely since it has wifi connection ability. But I've in the past had some compatability problms with HP and Mageia, so I'm a bit wary. i, too have to take into consideration that one of my machines is still running Mga 5, and I still want to be able to use it. Any ideas, anyone?
Last edited by rodgoslin on May 22nd, '20, 07:24, edited 2 times in total.
rodgoslin

Re: New printer required

Postby jiml8 » May 16th, '20, 06:20

I, too, used to use HP.

But I have switched to Brother. I have been having excellent compatibility with them, and no issues at all in setting them up.

For years, I was using an MFC 9970CDW color laser (an enterprise-grade machine) but when I lost access to it, I purchased an HL-L3270CDW color laser. My printer usage is light, but so far this printer has been flawless.
jiml8

Postby xboxboy » May 18th, '20, 02:12

Wow... Ok, I've long been a HP printer guy, HPLIP works great... But my last one HP8620, just had too many ink/head/jet problems, and I blew a fuse.

I got a brother multifunction colour laser, it's been pretty good, I got non-gen toner in it, and one seems to 'spatter' toner at times: So I wouldn't try printing photo's, but that said, my guess is it's the toner, not the printer.

I used to get nearly 10,000 pages out of my HP's before they go.

I just make sure printers can be net-worked, not USB, that way I can login via a browser to admin them.

Printers just suck in general :/
xboxboy

Postby saptech » May 19th, '20, 06:58

I just recently bought an Epson WF-3720 AIO and the printer is working great, but having a hard time getting the scanner part to work with my HP 8300 Desktop. Before getting this HP desktop (recently) , I connected the Epson to the old Dell Optiplex and everything worked as it should. Same printer but different computer getting different results with the scanner.
Each One Teach One
--------------------------------
Mageia 7 & Debian 10
HP Compaq Elite 8300 | Intel Core i5 | 8gb | 120gb SSD
--------------------------
Mageia 7 & Debian 10
Dell Optiplex 760 | Quad Core | 4gb | 250gb HDD
saptech

Postby rodgoslin » May 22nd, '20, 07:24

Well, I did buy the M283fdw, eventually and it does seem to be a nice printer. it setup well , but only as a printer, no sign of it's scanner facilities. Since this thread is regarding a choice of printer, I'll open another thread regarding setting up of Multi Function printers. As regards my sole Mga 5 unit, it seems to be happy to consider the MFP M283 as an MFP M476, but similarly without scanning capabilities. So I'm considering this thread 'Closed'. Thanks for the comments, guys.
rodgoslin

Return to Printers and Scanners