[SOLVED] Samsung CLP300?

[SOLVED] Samsung CLP300?

Postby Ken-Bergen » Oct 15th, '11, 07:35

Has anyone gotten this printer to work with Mageia1?
It works with Mandriva 2008.1 and the Samsung Unified driver but with Mageia1 it does not create the needed device /dev/mfp4 and printing is impossible.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Re: Samsung CLP300?

Postby isadora » Oct 15th, '11, 10:58

Think, you need cups-drivers-foo2zjs.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 15th, '11, 11:57

No, actually seems you'd need http://foo2qpdl.rkkda.com/
Samsung CLP300 is listed as tested there.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby isadora » Oct 15th, '11, 12:24

Yes, but, yes,but...............
/usr/share/cups/model/foo2zjs/Samsung-CLP-300.ppd.gz
............is mentioned in cups-drivers-foo2zjs, or? :)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 15th, '11, 14:27

That does not mean it would be the optimal driver for it.
Or do you see the printer mentioned/tested here: http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ ?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby isadora » Oct 15th, '11, 14:44

Not so indeed, but the only possibility through a regular install from our repositories, only shows up cups-drivers-foo2zjs, not?

isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 15th, '11, 19:39

Well, the OP asked basically how to get it to work, and i don't see the CLP300 listed at the website of the driver we have in our repositories.
It's listed as tested on the link i posted. If you have some crappy hardware or a vendor that gives a damn about linux
sometimes you have to bite bullet to use something that's not in the repositories. That's my personal opinion and pretty much all i can say about that.
----
doktor5000

Postby Ken-Bergen » Oct 15th, '11, 22:00

doktor5000 wrote:Well, the OP asked basically how to get it to work, and i don't see the CLP300 listed at the website of the driver we have in our repositories.
It's listed as tested on the link i posted. If you have some crappy hardware or a vendor that gives a damn about linux
sometimes you have to bite bullet to use something that's not in the repositories. That's my personal opinion and pretty much all i can say about that.
Just clarify, I bought the printer 3 or 4 years ago as the box said Linux compatible. The driver was said to be on the CD but it wasn't so I downloaded it direct from Samsung. The driver installed flawlessly on Mandriva 2008.1 and I've been using the printer until last week when I installed Mageia1 on this machine.

Unfortunately the driver doesn't install correctly on Mageia and no new version from Samsung, actually they seem to have dropped all Linux support :evil: and the foo2qpdl driver produces very low quality printing with poor colour.

I still have a laptop running Mandriva 2008.1 so I may set that up as a print server if nothing else.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby Ken-Bergen » Oct 19th, '11, 00:58

Update:

It is now working. The steps to get there were:

I installed the Samsung Unified driver. It would print one test page and never again print.

I then loaded the Cups web interface http://localhost:631/.
Deleted the printer, (I'm not sure that was necessary as I may have been able to just modify it).
Added a New Printer and it found the CLP-300, the default interface was
Code: Select all
usb://Samsung/CLP-300?serial=3H61B1BLB00521J.

I changed that to
Code: Select all
 Samsung CLP-300 (Samsung CLP-300)

which was in the list displayed and it now prints like it did in Mandriva 2008.1. :D

I hope this helps someone down the road.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Re: [SOLVED] Samsung CLP300?

Postby Ken-Bergen » Dec 1st, '11, 00:33

Another update. :oops:
The above only sort of worked. I could print multiple jobs as long as I never let the printer go idle, if it did go idle the jobs would be shown as completed but they never printed and it was necessary to cycle the printer off and back on before it would once again print. The same behaviour has been reported in Mandriva 2011.

So it was back to plan B. I connected the printer to and installed the Samsung driver on a Mandriva 2008.1 machine on the local network making sure it was published.

I next went to my Mageia machine and opened the cups web interface intending to setup the networked printer there but low and behold it was already there and working correctly. Kudos to Mageia for that. :D
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Return to Printers and Scanners