[SOLVED] MCC and CUPS 'unable to locate printer'

[SOLVED] MCC and CUPS 'unable to locate printer'

Postby xboxboy » Jan 27th, '19, 05:33

Previously used HP printers, and MCC took care of everything.

This time I have a brother Multi-function: MFC-L3750CDW

I have it connected via ethernet: I can print via a windows PC, and the web page/admin of the actual machine is accessible from machines on the network.

I tried various things through MCC and http://localhost:631
The exact printer wasn't listed so I tried a few different drivers, but no luck.

Then I used the brother linux installation tool: https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=mfcl3750cdw_us_eu_as&os=127&dlid=dlf006893_000&flang=4&type3=625&dlang=true

At least after that, I have the correct printer/driver listed, but the same result: everytime I try to print the test page the status is always "unable to find printer"

All help most appreciated.
Last edited by xboxboy on Feb 23rd, '19, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
xboxboy

Re: MCC and CUPS 'unable to locate printer'

Postby xboxboy » Jan 27th, '19, 13:30

A bit of google-fu found that some times cups detects the printer by name, but it should really be connected via IP address...

So back to MCC I went, using the LPD option, I connected via IP address, and it seems to be working.

I'll update in a few days, just to be sure :0
xboxboy

Postby xboxboy » Jan 30th, '19, 05:12

Seems to be working well: I had to contact Brother to unlock scan to email function.

Now, the brother installation script must of removed or installed an earlier version of libcups2, because that's now appearing in my updates. Is there anyway to know if updating that will cause trouble, or can I roll it back easily.
xboxboy

Postby jiml8 » Jan 30th, '19, 18:04

I talk to a Brother 9970CDW color laser over the LAN, and I have had to reinstall the drivers once or twice after updates. Usually, I talk to it from a VM and not from my host environment, so I don't know how long it wasn't working before I discovered it. Offhand, I don't know how to get any notification when an update breaks it.

My cups is up to date; I don't think the driver package for brother changes your CUPS package. If I were you, I would upgrade CUPS then if necessary reinstall the Brother drivers.
jiml8

Postby xboxboy » Feb 23rd, '19, 07:03

Well I've had it running for a few weeks now, without incident. Cups updates are fine

Everyone told me I was mad for using inkjet printers in a a business... Well, they're right! I'm in love with this thing. Maybe it's just newer, but the printer quality and speed is amazing. And OMG, the auto feed scanner is sooooooo fast. I love it.

Thanks all for your help!
xboxboy

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 23rd, '19, 15:35

xboxboy wrote:Everyone told me I was mad for using inkjet printers in a a business...

Well, some of them offer the same speed or are sometimes even slightly faster then comparable color laserprinters.
And the pricing for color laserprinter supplies is often through the roof, in some cases inkjet printers are sometimes even cheaper.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Printers and Scanners