HP MFP m180n compatibility in Mga 5 and 6

HP MFP m180n compatibility in Mga 5 and 6

Postby rodgoslin » Dec 16th, '17, 20:19

Does anyone know whether the HP MFP m180n printer/scanner/copier is compatible with Mga 5 and 6. Googling gives me lots of choice in buying, but none in using! At least as far as I can locate.
Last edited by rodgoslin on Dec 16th, '17, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
rodgoslin

Re: HP MFP 180n compatibility in Mga 5 and 6

Postby isadora » Dec 16th, '17, 21:45

The only information i could find was about a hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m180nw.
That type according to HP is Linux-compatible:
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-color- ... mfp-m180nw

Personally, i never had any issues with HP-printers in Linux/Mageia/Mandriva.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby rodgoslin » Dec 16th, '17, 23:39

I've had no problems with HP printers, either, so far, but setting them up with the printer/scanner function in MCC is either a doddle, or a pain, and I've never been able to determine why. However, looking through the listings of HP printers in MCC, I can't find an entry for the MFP m180n. An MFP m176n, there is (in Mga 5 & 6), but its a slab of money to be laying out, without the re-assurance that it will work. This one caught my eye, since it has wifi and ethernet connections, and a built in flatbed scanner. Oddly, you have to go high in the commercial hardware before you can get a networked scanner. USB by the score, but nothing with ethernet.
rodgoslin

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 17th, '17, 00:38

isadora wrote:The only information i could find was about a hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m180nw.
That type according to HP is Linux-compatible:

Not really, it only says to check the hplip site for more information.

Well, I can't find that model in the supported device list: https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index
And if you don't find at least one search result that confirms that someone has that thing working under linux I'd not buy it.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: HP MFP m180n compatibility in Mga 5 and 6

Postby rodgoslin » Dec 17th, '17, 01:15

My thoughts, exactly
rodgoslin

Postby rodgoslin » Dec 17th, '17, 01:26

Although!!! I just looked up the m176n printer scanner on Amazon.co.uk, to see how near it was to the m180n, and the product page indicated that the m180n is the later model of the m176n (https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-LaserJet-Mu ... +mfp+m176n), so the drivers should be the same, and those are listed in the MCC hardware function.
rodgoslin

Postby wintpe » Dec 18th, '17, 12:00

just my personal opinion, but id keep the scanner and printer separate where you can.

usually there is a non MFP version of the printer and theres an increased chance that the printer alone will work.

it also makes it easier to replace one if it fails, or becomes unsupported in the future.

I use the epson V330, and you can still get these on ebay, not sure about the V370 which you can still buy, as ive not personally tested it.

samsung 1810W (£188 at printerland or amazon) works with mageia 5 and probably 6, ive tested with 5.
1810W is wireless (using point to point wireless rather than general wireless) , and hardwired to your existing network for general availability and using some sort of rfid for samsung phones i believe, although not tested yet.

also check out consumable costs, and availability of compatible cartridges as HP are horrendous prices (£160 for the m180n)

so are the samsung, but i know you can get good compatible for the 1810W for £72 or cheaper if your willing to risk issues.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby rodgoslin » Dec 18th, '17, 15:52

I do tend to agree with you on this, but what I was really after, was a scanner with networkable ability. Ethernet or wifi. These however, except in the high priced commercial versions are a bit thin on the ground. Oddly, I do have an Epson V370 photo, and it does work fine, but I've never got it to work as a film scanner, on Linux. But then I wasn't very impressed with the film scanning under Windows, on the thing. Old films are seldom very flat, and particularly so with slides, and it shows, since the film is not held against the glass plate.
I also agree with your views on the cost of toner, but there are cheaper options, although at the risk that they don't work very well.
My old colour laser printer is getting a bit long in the tooth, so a combo would give me networking scanning, and a reduction in the real estate coverage of separate scanner and printer. The m180n, according to the blurb, also has connectivity to Android, which might prove useful in these new mobile phone oriented times.

Rod
rodgoslin

Postby wintpe » Dec 18th, '17, 18:52

ive tried mine for film also and its not good, they simply dont have the resolution across a 35 mm space, although their just fine for
a sheet of A4.

for that you really need a film scanner, and ive had two, both plustek both awfall, neither worked with linux, so ive basically just given up on my old film.

stay away from these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plustek-Opti ... Swa0VaN6Zh

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zennox-Film- ... SwurZZKFPx

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Veho-Smartfi ... Amcy1e4emg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reflecta-Cry ... Swi0xaJT5Q

and if your serious think about one of these or similar

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Coolsc ... Sw1JVaLqGu

but not sure about linux support

so either invest in one of those old camera makers film scanners , or dont bother, or better still scan from a set of fresh prints, the bigger the better,

and let the enlarger give you the resolution, as unless your got thousands to scan, it will be cheaper in the long run.

and if you have got thousands to scan the awfall film scanners or the transparency adapters mean that your more likly to throw the scanner out the window than complete the job.

IMHO :)

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby rodgoslin » Dec 18th, '17, 19:57

I still have a PrimeFilm Pro 3600 scanner, but it's capacity, at 3600DPI, has long since been superceded by later scanners. But, it's quality and easy to use software was very good for it's time. Sadly, I could never work out how to use it on Linux. Wine might well have been handy for Windows applications, but for me, it's handling of anything on USB always failed. Might be an idea to try it again, though. The sounds it made were always amusing. Vaguely reminiscent of the soundtrack of "The Man in the White Suit"
rodgoslin

Return to Printers and Scanners