[Solved] Canoscan 110 Suddenly Not Working

[Solved] Canoscan 110 Suddenly Not Working

Postby mark9117 » Oct 24th, '17, 07:39

I have a USB Canoscan scanner that has worked fine for than a year since I moved it to my file server and configured it as a network device. After I upgraded to Mageia 6 on my desktop, I tested the scanner and it was fine. Now, a couple of months down the road, I tried to scan something and Xsane failed to locate my scanner. It locked up searching for devices and I had to kill the process.

I checked the network. Port 6566 is open on the server and I can telnet into it from my desktop. It show up as a usb device just fine on my server:

Code: Select all
# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 04a9:1909 Canon, Inc. CanoScan LiDE 110
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 04f9:0033 Brother Industries, Ltd
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

The Xsane on the server can scan images just fine, but I can't scan from my desktop any longer.

The scanner is not found by sane-find-scanner on my dekstop:

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the

could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
  # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and have setup
  # the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.

When I run sane-find-scanner on the server, of course it finds the scanner with no problem:

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1909 [CanoScan], chip=GL124) at libusb:002:004
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

I haven't been able to find anything about the situation in the logs. I should also mention that drakscanner behaves just like Xsane - it failes to find anything. From the console, it does this:

# drakscanner
Too late to run INIT block at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.22.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Glib/Object/Introspection.pm line 257.
Ignore the following Glib::Object::Introspection & Gtk3 warnings
Subroutine Gtk3::main redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.22.3/Gtk3.pm line 525.

And it just sits there.

I've rebooted both machines and reseated the usb cable from the scanner to the server. I'm stumped. My inclination is to find the existing scanner configuration that drakscanner would create and delete it in order to try to configure the scanner from scratch, but I have no idea where that configuration would be.

Any help out there?

Thanks.

Update: It seems drakscanner and Xsane will open, but they take a good long time doing it. I caught drakscanner starting and working very slowly. I then tried opening Xsane from a console again and just waiting it out. Here is what I got:

$ time xsane

(xsane:7920): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",

(xsane:7920): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
^C
real    4m39.983s
user    0m0.220s
sys     0m0.052s

So, more than 4 minutes and a half minutes for Xsane to open up. Once it opens, it's fine. But why does it take almost 5 minutes for the thing to open?

Again, any help appreciated.
Last edited by mark9117 on Oct 25th, '17, 06:34, edited 1 time in total.
Let's just reboot everything all the time.
mark9117

Location: Eastern New Mexico -- Not Hell, but you can see it from here.

Re: Canoscan 110 Suddenly Not Working

Postby wintpe » Oct 24th, '17, 09:37

OK im guessing here , because ive not tried it, but if it were me, id be inclined to remove the firewall from the server as a first step of elimination.
if that does not work, work out what port the scanner sharing service is on and see if there is anything running on that port, with lsof -i or netstat -a

if there is a scanner service you should see it as a service in the services manager either under MCC or from systemctl list-units

it has to in my mind be something to do with this.

or it could also be that the server is not using a static IP which would be a stupid way of managing a server and just hoping it keeps the same IP, because with DHCP it is going to change at some point.

and as a result your workstation cant find it any longer.

just how i would aproach the problem.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Re: Canoscan 110 Suddenly Not Working

Postby mark9117 » Oct 25th, '17, 06:33

Okay, let's do this. I tracked it down to a typo in the server address in the client-side /etc/sane.d/net.conf file.

I have no idea when or how that typo got there, but okay.

It's all good now.

Thanks for the help. :)
Let's just reboot everything all the time.
mark9117

Location: Eastern New Mexico -- Not Hell, but you can see it from here.

Return to Printers and Scanners