[SOLVED] Unable to access remote USB cups printer

[SOLVED] Unable to access remote USB cups printer

Postby JJF » Oct 1st, '17, 12:03

LAN consists of : Xerox phaser 3130 connected via USB to Windows 7 box, Multi boot Mageia 6 x86_64. (on top of Ubuntu 16 and Windows 10) and laptop Windows XP.
The USB printer is shared and easily accessed both locally from Windows 7 and remotely from windows XP.
Successfully established network sharing on Mageia 6 and File on Windows 7 are accessible from Mageia 6.
Cups searching for printers on the LAN found (the) printer on "smb://sureface/10.0.0.7/3130" named 3130 on Windows 7 . On Cups When it was possible to verify I get: "The print share is accessible".
No matter what I tried next. At the end I get the message : 'client-error-not-possible'.
Please advise

JJF
Last edited by doktor5000 on Oct 12th, '17, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: marked [SOLVED]
JJF

Re: Unable to access remote USB cups printer

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 1st, '17, 14:31

You added the printer directly via the cups webfrontend? And do you have the package cifs-utils installed?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby JJF » Oct 2nd, '17, 06:35

Same results recieved either when printer was installed usin MCC>hardware or installing using localhost:631 etc..
cifs-utils was not installed. But I received the same results after installing and rebooting.

BTW:
Exact same results are shown in a similar system where a Samsung ML-1640 is connected to Windows 10 USB. (cifs-utils was already installed).

I will install Mageia 5 to see what happens.

Tks
JJF
JJF

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 2nd, '17, 18:24

As mentioned in the previous thread where you posted, did you look through
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21736
and https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21164 and the workarounds mentioned there?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Solved Re: Unable to access remote USB cups printer

Postby JJF » Oct 2nd, '17, 22:06

doktor5000
Success!!
I have to explain that I was looking only for cups related subjects thus I missed the 2 links you pointed .
I switched from Cinnamon to Plasma and after I corrected the link as suggested in the 2nd bug report, I added a new smb network printer.
In "text only" printer driver, I was surprised to see that a test page came out of the printer.
More work has to be done finding the correct driver settings that will print more complex data rather than text only
However the connection with the printer was established.
Thanks very much (from a user not very much familiar with but prefer Linux at home over other alternatives )
JJF
JJF

Postby wintpe » Oct 11th, '17, 15:53

someones slacking, please mark as solved.
regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Return to Printers and Scanners