[SOLVED] Canon PIXMA MX416: "No printers found."

[SOLVED] Canon PIXMA MX416: "No printers found."

Postby vecciora » Aug 11th, '17, 08:21

In Debian, my printer (a Canon PIXMA MX416) was detected and I was able to use it for printing. But, in Mageia, my printer can't be detected.

In Magiea, after I opened http://localhost:631/admin and then clicked "Find New Printers", I got, "No printers found."

It's a network printer.

All task-printing* packages were installed.

Currently, the printer is working in Mageia, but with the driver from Canon's site. Unfortunately, the driver is not very good. I can't choose whether I want to print grayscale or colour, I want to print in grayscale only because I don't have the colour inks.

Thank you. :)

And if there's something not clear about my explanation, please tell me. :)
Last edited by vecciora on Dec 12th, '17, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
vecciora
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Oct 19th, '11, 14:29

Re: Canon PIXMA MX416: "No printers found."

Postby wintpe » Aug 11th, '17, 16:47

ive had a look around and all i can suggest is that in debian someone has contributed a driver
openprinting.org does not list many of the canon MX printers
so contributions seem to be lacking for that printer.

see first if plugging in via usb detects it, then at least , if its detected , you can see how well it works,

then it might just be a networking issue.

and would cut the possibilities to diagnose in half.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: May 22nd, '11, 17:08
Location: Rayleigh,, Essex , UK

Re: Canon PIXMA MX416: "No printers found."

Postby vecciora » Aug 14th, '17, 01:34

wintpe wrote:ive had a look around and all i can suggest is that in debian someone has contributed a driver
openprinting.org does not list many of the canon MX printers
so contributions seem to be lacking for that printer.

see first if plugging in via usb detects it, then at least , if its detected , you can see how well it works,

then it might just be a networking issue.

and would cut the possibilities to diagnose in half.

regards peter


Thank you for your answer! :D

Seems like the driver is available in Mageia (it's called Gutenprint), but the printer wasn't just detected.

As for connecting the printer via USB, I am sorry, but I can't do that for now.
vecciora
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Oct 19th, '11, 14:29

Re: Canon PIXMA MX416: "No printers found."

Postby vecciora » Dec 11th, '17, 16:54

Sorry for taking so long. I was gave up on this.

The CUPS+Gutenprint driver is definitely better. It prints without weird lines. Unlike the driver from Canon's site.

I was able to use CUPS+Gutenprint driver after I connected the printer via USB. The printer was detected.

If it's from the network, it wasn't detected except if I use the wizard from install.sh of Canon's driver.

So the problem must be on the networking.
vecciora
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Oct 19th, '11, 14:29

Re: Canon PIXMA MX416: "No printers found."

Postby vecciora » Dec 11th, '17, 16:58

And I found that it was because of the firewall.

I don't really understand how to set-up firewalls. I just disabled firewalls from MCC and then my printer was detected from the network.

What should I do if I want to specifically set the firewall to allow my printer to be detected?
vecciora
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Oct 19th, '11, 14:29

Re: Canon PIXMA MX416: "No printers found."

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 11th, '17, 19:55

For firewall configuration see http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/6/en/content/ ... ewall.html

vecciora wrote:What should I do if I want to specifically set the firewall to allow my printer to be detected?

That depends on via what protocol you want to access the printer. For remote cups printers or those using IPP protocol, port 631 tcp&udp.
For HP JetDirect and RAW printers it should be port 9100.

Not sure about what your Pixma uses, it might be 8611. Best maybe take a look at https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index? ... =ART109227 or ask Canon support what protocol and ports they use.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
User avatar
doktor5000
 
Posts: 14604
Joined: Jun 4th, '11, 10:10
Location: Leipzig, Germany

Re: Canon PIXMA MX416: "No printers found."

Postby vecciora » Dec 12th, '17, 02:57

doktor5000 wrote:For firewall configuration see http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/6/en/content/ ... ewall.html

vecciora wrote:What should I do if I want to specifically set the firewall to allow my printer to be detected?

That depends on via what protocol you want to access the printer. For remote cups printers or those using IPP protocol, port 631 tcp&udp.
For HP JetDirect and RAW printers it should be port 9100.

Not sure about what your Pixma uses, it might be 8611. Best maybe take a look at https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index? ... =ART109227 or ask Canon support what protocol and ports they use.


Seems like it's 8611.

I ran
Code: Select all
# /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 8611 -j ACCEPT
and then the printer was detected.

Thanks a lot. :D
vecciora
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Oct 19th, '11, 14:29

Re: Canon PIXMA MX416: "No printers found."

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 12th, '17, 18:59

vecciora wrote:I ran
Code: Select all
# /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 8611 -j ACCEPT
and then the printer was detected.


Let's hope it still works after next reboot, as this iptables rule will not be persistent ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
User avatar
doktor5000
 
Posts: 14604
Joined: Jun 4th, '11, 10:10
Location: Leipzig, Germany

Re: Canon PIXMA MX416: "No printers found."

Postby vecciora » Dec 12th, '17, 19:00

doktor5000 wrote:
vecciora wrote:I ran
Code: Select all
# /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 8611 -j ACCEPT
and then the printer was detected.


Let's hope it still works after next reboot, as this iptables rule will not be persistent ...


Yes, it won't work after reboot. I need to save that.

But, I'm not sure how to do that in Mageia manually so I used the MCC by adding 8611/udp in the firewall settings.

Thanks for telling me that. It'll be useful for other people who read this. :D
vecciora
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Oct 19th, '11, 14:29


Return to Printers and Scanners

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest