[SOLVED] HP Printer Not Working

[SOLVED] HP Printer Not Working

Postby gdawg » Sep 25th, '11, 16:04

Hi,
I installed Mageia yesterday and it doesn't seem to recognize my HP Officejet 5610 All-In-One printer. Went to Mageia Control Center>Hardware>Set-up Printers,etc and message requested OK to install -system-config-printer, -task-printing-server, and -task-printing-hp; selected OK and then received messages stating "no pkg" for -task-printing-server and -task-printing-hp. My printer was up and running while I was installing Mageia. I am running a Dell Inspiron 530S with Win 7 and multiple Linux distros on internal drive and external drive. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: When I try to install "hplip" I get the following message: Sorry, the following package cannot be selected:

- hplip-3.11.7-1.1.mga1.i586 (due to unsatisfied python-imaging)

Is there a work-around to solve this problem?
gdawg

Re: HP Printer Not Working

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 26th, '11, 10:49

No workaround, but a proper solution:
You need to setup a complete set of software repositories. Then this dependency can be resolved.
To do so, in Mageia Control Center -> Software -> Configure media sources for install and update
-> menu File -> Add a specific media mirror -> Full set of sources and select one which is near your.
You should avoid at least ibiblio, this one is not up-to-date.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re:[SOLVED] HP Printer Not Working

Postby gdawg » Sep 26th, '11, 20:55

Thank you doktor5000 for your guidance. I've downloaded and installed the repositories, configured printer via Mageia Control Center but it still won't print. One cartridge is low on ink (black cartridge) but tri-color is new. Printer works in PCLinuxOS and presumably on my other distros. I'm still working on it. Thanks again.

Got it working. I neglected to tick "duplexer" box during configuration. Many thanks.
gdawg

Re: HP Printer Not Working

Postby gdawg » Oct 1st, '11, 16:30

Please mark this post as solved. Thank you.
gdawg

Re: Re:[SOLVED] HP Printer Not Working

Postby nash30 » Oct 8th, '11, 09:45

gdawg wrote:Thank you doktor5000 for your guidance. I've downloaded and installed the repositories, configured printer via Mageia Control Center but it still won't print. One cartridge is low on ink (black cartridge) but tri-color is new. Printer works in PCLinuxOS and presumably on my other distros. I'm still working on it. Thanks again.

Got it working. I neglected to tick "duplexer" box during configuration. Many thanks.

This is also my problem. I did the aforementioned step but still it would not print could this be because one of my printer cartridges is low? how did you fix yours?

all you have to do is INK!
printer ink
Last edited by nash30 on Feb 10th, '12, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
nash30

Re: [SOLVED] HP Printer Not Working

Postby gdawg » Oct 8th, '11, 22:30

After installing repositories per doktor5000's directions I went to Mageia Control Center>Hardware>Set-up the printer(s) ... and followed the set-up directions. Originally while following the set-up directions I overlooked selecting "duplexer" (may only apply if you have an All-in-One printer). Hope this helps. Don't think it had anything to do with ink levels.
gdawg

Re: Re:[SOLVED] HP Printer Not Working

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 9th, '11, 15:58

nash30 wrote:This is also my problem. I did the aforementioned step but still it would not print could this be because one of my printer cartridges is low? how did you fix yours?

Normally most printers refuse to print if one cartridge is empty. Does the status display of the printer display something in that direction?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Printers and Scanners