SOLVED --Scanner fails in one application

SOLVED --Scanner fails in one application

Postby leon244 » Jul 21st, '17, 19:45

I have just installed M6. I have most things working. I have a Brother MFC-J6710W multifunction printer/scanner with the Brother latest drivers installed. I installed sane and xsane and can scan to xsane, Gimp, and Libreoffice. I do have another proprietary application (PDFStudio) which is a PDF reader and creator which I use. in M5 I could scan into it without problem to create PDF's. With the upgrade to M6 I cannot. I have looked around the internet, but no help. I have been in touch with the support at Qoppa (the makers of the application) and after providing them with a log file from the application their conclusion was that the log showed an error with Sane on the system.

The only thing I note is that saned is set to start when requested. I wonder if there is a way to start saned so it just runs in the background waiting. I am not sure if that is the problem. I have noted that Xsane gives an error when I first request a scan and then I just ask again and it works. This does not work for the application.

How do you start saned from the command line? And, how can I get it to start on boot? I cannot find it online. I have tried systemctl start and service start but get nothing. systemctl start saned just gives:
Failed to dump process list, ignoring: Unit saned.service not found.
● saned.service
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)
service notes that saned is not an xinetd service

Would love any ideas you all may have.
Leon
Last edited by leon244 on Jul 24th, '17, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
leon244

Re: Scanner fails in one application

Postby leon244 » Jul 21st, '17, 20:28

So I looked around some more and it seems saned is activated only when needed. I rebooted and systemctl status saned.socket shows it is active and functioning. Further review of the PDFStudio logfile shows it throwing an I/O error after calling for sane. After calling for the scanner with PDFStudio and getting the error, saned status shows "Accepted:2 Connected 0". Sane would appear to be working but not connecting the socket. Running Xsane and scanning does not change the "Accepted" or the "Connected" count. I am connected via USB to the scanner. Do I need to change Firewall settings?
leon244

Postby leon244 » Jul 21st, '17, 20:40

FWIW: here are the system log notes for what happens when the scan fails:
Code: Select all
Jul 21 14:32:18 perrin systemd[1]: Listening on saned incoming socket.
Jul 21 14:32:24 perrin xinetd[1936]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service = sane-port
Jul 21 14:32:24 perrin xinetd[1936]: Service sane-port failed to start and is deactivated.
Jul 21 14:34:12 perrin systemd[1]: Created slice system-saned.slice.
Last edited by isadora on Jul 21st, '17, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;)
leon244

Postby claire » Jul 23rd, '17, 00:23

I would suggest disabling the firewall and trying again. I believe saned (the daemon) does require some open ports which can be configured to a range that suits you.
Help to make Mageia! Get involved.. Please come and join us
claire

Postby leon244 » Jul 23rd, '17, 15:37

Claire,
Thank you. I gave your suggestion a try, but it did not change the behavior of the program. Despite their support's claim that it is Mageia's issue, I am coming to believe the issue lies in how they handle the call to Sane. I can work around this so, for now, I will do other things than worry about this. Thank you for the suggestion, it was worth a try.
-lg
leon244

Re: SOLVED --Scanner fails in one application

Postby leon244 » Jul 24th, '17, 20:38

Please see my post in https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11854&p=69131#p69131
Basically edit /etc/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules and move USB cable to another port on my machine
leon244

Return to Printers and Scanners