Dell Scanner not working

Dell Scanner not working

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 13th, '17, 16:21

Hi,

I have been a Mageia 5 user since the day it was released and I was able to get almost everything working that I needed with the help of google and Mageia forums.

I purchased a DELL E515DW multifunction machine last week. I have connected the machine to my wireless network, downloaded the printer driver from DELL website, install google cups printer driver and now I am able to print wirelessly from my home desktop running on Mageia 5. I am also able to print anything from my mobile using google cloud print option.

However, I am not able to use the scanner with my Mageia linux. SANE doesn't seem to support my AIO machine. Running the command "scanimage -L" does not give any fruitful output. However, running the command sane-find-scanner as root is showing the printer with the vendor id and product id (when connected the machine via USB). Is it possible to setup the scanner in my linux (Mageia)?

If it is not possible to use the scanner in traditional way, what are the other options?. The DELL E515DW seems to support "Scan to FTP", but the user guide from DELL doesn't list any procedure to make it working. I am thinking of setting up a FTP server in my mageia linux, and then use the "Scan to FTP" option from the AIO machine. Is there a detailed procedure somewhere on the net on how to get this setup?

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Re: Dell Scanner not working

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 13th, '17, 20:36

Well, do you want to get the scanner itself working, or do you only want to use the scan to FTP part?

As far as the manual describes this is done by using your browser to connect to the web frontend of your AIO device via its IP adress. Have you tried that yet? And do you already have an FTP server running?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 13th, '17, 21:11

If I am able to get the scanner working either by USB or Ethernet connection, that is preferable. However, I tried several things to make it work but to no avail. So, my next option is to use the "Scan to FTP" feature of the scanner.

I don't have a ftp server running at this moment. I tried to install vsftpd, but could not start it. Need to troubleshoot it first before looking at the browser based web interface for the scanner.

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Postby wintpe » Jul 14th, '17, 11:59

there is a linux driver for that, although does not appear to include any scanner setup, just cups and lpr.
worth asking dell if they do a scanner driver for it.

but there is this
http://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/ ... ng?lang=en

and

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-p ... 4055a1f4=1

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 14th, '17, 14:04

Yes, I was able to get the printer working after installing this driver.

I installed proftpd server on my mageia (vsftpd could not start for some reason) and trying to setup scanning using Scan to FTP. Still working on that.

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Postby wintpe » Jul 14th, '17, 14:29

make sure your vsftp server has the following settings.
Code: Select all
cat /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf|grep -v ^\#
anonymous_enable=YES
local_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
local_umask=022
dirmessage_enable=YES
xferlog_enable=YES
connect_from_port_20=YES
xferlog_std_format=YES
chroot_local_user=YES
listen=YES

pam_service_name=vsftpd
userlist_enable=YES
tcp_wrappers=YES

then systemctl enable vsftpd
systemctl start vsftpd

hopefully that will work, took me a while to find the right options. by default its setup as though you might connect it directly to the internet.
ie much too secure for using internaly as a simple ftp service.

regards peter
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jul 14th, '17, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code tags
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 14th, '17, 18:30

pnbalaji wrote:However, I tried several things to make it work but to no avail.

Several things like ... ?

In general, if sane-find-scanner finds the device, it might be possible, but that depends on the sane backend support for your scanner model.
You may need to find out who is the actual manufacturer of that thing (usually those Dell devices are relabled Lexmark devices, at least that used to be the case in the past) and then look up the support and sane setup for that model.
There are not much Dell models supported, but I believe that upstream documentation might also be incomplete ...
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-DELL
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 14th, '17, 18:43

I will try with the sane-lexmark backend and see if it works.

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 18th, '17, 16:30

Hi,

I tried with sane-lexmark backend and it did not work. Bottomline is that the DELL MFPs are not natively supported by SANE and hence it does not work.

I did setup proftpd server with TLS in my mageia desktop, able to connect to my localhost using Filezilla. Using the Web interface of the DELL MFP, I did setup a 'Scan to FTP' profile and clicked Submit button. Upon submit, I was asked to run a test. When I clicked ok, I got a message saying 'Test succeeded Ok'. I placed a document on the feeder glass, clicked on the Scan button, selected the 'Scan to FTP' option, then selected the profile and clicked on Start button. The document was scanned fine. However, I am not finding the document (template name is DELL9515A6*.pdf) anywhere in my home directory. I even did a search from the root directory using the command "sudo find / -iname "DELL9515A6*" -exec ls -al {} \; 2>/dev/null". However, it did not yield any results.

In the printer's web UI, I have selected the store directory as / (It does not accept anything else, tried with /home/{user}, /home/{user}/scan where {user} is my userid in mageia) and I assume this will place a copy of the scanned document in my home directory.

I contacted DELL technical support and they mentioned that they do not have any info on getting the Scan to FTP working in Linux.

Can someone help or provide some pointers on how to get it work?

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 18th, '17, 19:24

You should probably start by mentioning what you configured in proftpd, and if you can connect from another system to that ftp service and upload a file, and then check where that is located.
Also be aware that filezilla might let you connect as it also tries sftp protocol which is provided by sshd, should you have that running.
----
doktor5000

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 18th, '17, 20:12

I will post my proftpd config file once I am at home. In filezilla, I did not select the SFTP option, so, I guess it is using FTP with port 21. For security selection, I have selected the option "Use explicit TLS if available". I was prompted to accept the security certificate and once accepted, I am landed in my home folder. I did not try uploading a file yet, will try that and let you know what happens.

I can stop sshd if it is running, but, I don't think it is running on my mageia desktop.

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 19th, '17, 06:22

Below is the contents of my /etc/proftpd.conf file.

Code: Select all
Include /etc/proftpd.d/*.conf

ModulePath /usr/lib64/proftpd
ModuleControlsACLs insmod,rmmod allow user root
ModuleControlsACLs lsmod allow user *

ServerName                      "localhost.localdomain"
ServerType                      standalone
DeferWelcome                    off
MultilineRFC2228                on
DefaultServer                   on

ShowSymlinks                    on
TimeoutNoTransfer               600
TimeoutStalled                  600
TimeoutIdle                     1200

DisplayLogin                    welcome.msg
DisplayChdir                    .message

ListOptions                     "-l"
DenyFilter                      \*.*/
UseIPv6                         Off
AllowStoreRestart               on
Port                            21
MaxInstances                    30

User                            <userid>
Group                           ftp
Umask                           022  022

DefaultRoot ~
AllowOverwrite                  on
PersistentPasswd                off

TransferLog /var/log/proftpd/proftpd.log
SystemLog   /var/log/proftpd/proftpd.log

<IfModule mod_tls.c>
    TLSEngine                   on
    TLSLog                      /var/log/proftpd/tls.log
    TLSProtocol                 TLSv1.2
    TLSCipherSuite              AES128+EECDH:AES128+EDH
    TLSOptions                  NoCertRequest AllowClientRenegotiations
    TLSRSACertificateFile       /etc/proftpd.d/ssl/proftpd.cert.pem
    TLSRSACertificateKeyFile    /etc/proftpd.d/ssl/proftpd.key.pem
    TLSVerifyClient             off
    TLSRequired                 on
    RequireValidShell           no
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_quota.c>
    QuotaEngine on
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_ratio.c>
    Ratios on
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_delay.c>
    DelayEngine on
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_ctrls.c>
    ControlsEngine        on
    ControlsMaxClients    2
    ControlsLog           /var/log/proftpd/controls.log
    ControlsInterval      5
    ControlsSocket        /var/run/proftpd/proftpd.sock
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_ctrls_admin.c>
    AdminControlsEngine on
</IfModule>

<Limit SITE_CHMOD>
    DenyAll
</Limit>

I tried transferring a file using Filezilla and it worked fine without any issues.

sshd was running in my system. I stopped it, opened filezilla without any issues and am able to transfer files also.

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 21st, '17, 23:45

Any updates yet?

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 22nd, '17, 09:35

Any updates on what? Probably nobody can directly reproduce as nobody seems to have that scanner, so what more then hints do you expect?
As your FTP service seems to be working fine, this seems to be an issue at the scanner, you might need to ask Dell support for that. From what I can tell at least for the DELL E514DW does offer that option and also mentions it in the documentation but http://de.community.dell.com/support_fo ... 106/t/7254 says that scan to FTP is not possible. Not sure if that applies for your E515DW.
----
doktor5000

Return to Printers and Scanners