Canon printer/scanner not working.

Re: Canon printer/scanner not working.

Postby benmc » Apr 10th, '16, 21:55

good to know that its "working."

so as # ( root ) the scanner is working.
but as $ ( user) it is not. correct.

If so, then, definitely permissions need to be changed for your scanner.
Doing so will also allow the use of Xsane.

That, unfortunately is beyond my knowledge, how-ever some-one may be along to share that.

p.s : Running a user GUI as root is not the preferred method of operation. Use with Care.
benmc

Postby madsaint » Apr 11th, '16, 07:34

Hi benmc,

You surmised correctly about root and user. Rest assured I won't run GUI as root.
Thanks for your time and patience.

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 11th, '16, 20:44

benmc wrote:If so, then, definitely permissions need to be changed for your scanner.
Doing so will also allow the use of Xsane.

That, unfortunately is beyond my knowledge, how-ever some-one may be along to share that.

No problem, that is actually pretty easy, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SA ... on_problem

udev is responsible for going through all devices, and creates the so-called device nodes (say, /dev/scanner1 for example) which tells the kernel which driver to load for this device,
and gives applications an interface to use/talk to that device (via access to /dev/scanner1). You just need to change the respective udev rule so that you have sufficient permissions as regular user to at least read from the device.
Usually this involves changing the default permissions inside the udev rule to 664, which allows others to read from that device too.

Totally apart from that, did you try to run scannerdrake yet to setup the scanner and permissions? http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/5/en/content/ ... drake.html
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Apr 12th, '16, 19:57

Hi doktor5000,

My scanner model is not shown in scannerdrake so I cant go through configuring it there. It does recognise the model generally. When trying to setup permissions in root I get this error prompt;
Code: Select all
bash ; /etc/udev/rules.d/49-sane-missing-scanner.rules ; No such file or directory

I have entered the string exactly as in the Sane - ArchWiki page. I think I'm missing a couple of steps. Could you run me through the exact procedure. Specifically creating a new file with printer scanner contents. I entered the string in MCC, System, Open console as Administrator.

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 13th, '16, 23:44

madsaint wrote:When trying to setup permissions in root I get this error prompt;
bash ; /etc/udev/rules.d/49-sane-missing-scanner.rules ; No such file or directory

Is that the command you entered, or only the output? Best post the command you run, including the prompt and the complete output.

You can't execute /etc/udev/rules.d/49-sane-missing-scanner.rules, you need to create it via an editor.
Also the arch article tells you to first check the content of /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/49-sane.rules before adding any new config.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Apr 14th, '16, 07:09

Hi doktor5000,

What I sent you is only the output. I hand copied it and sent it to you because I don't know how to save it from Open console as Administrator. As you know there is no save option like in Konsole., and I can't get into Konsole as root. If you would be so kind as to tell me how to save from Open console as Administrator I'll be happy to send you the entire output of both commands.

As for opening an editor, it is also something I don't yet know how to do, please instruct. Please note, a lot of the articles you refer me to presupposes a working knowledge of programming and leaves out the step by step. Hence my loss as to what to do next.

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby madsaint » Apr 17th, '16, 08:44

Hi doktor5000,

Here is the output;

[theresalouis@localhost ~]$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 13ba:0018 PCPlay Barcode PCP-BCG4209
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 04a9:173b Canon, Inc. PIXMA MP270 All-In-One Printer
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 07d1:3c16 D-Link System DWA-125 Wireless N 150 Adapter(rev.A2) [Ralink RT3070]
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
[theresalouis@localhost ~]$ /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/49-sane.rules
bash: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/49-sane.rules: No such file or directory
[theresalouis@localhost ~]$ /etc/udev/rules.d/49-sane-missing-scanner.rules
bash: /etc/udev/rules.d/49-sane-missing-scanner.rules: No such file or directory
[theresalouis@localhost ~]$

Hope it helps.

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby madsaint » Apr 23rd, '16, 08:58

Hi doktor5000,

It's been 2 weeks and I'm getting beyond desperate. Really need the scanner. Sorry to rush you.

Regards
madsaint
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 23rd, '16, 14:46

Well, if you really need the scanner, better read some of the documentation provided and get yourself at least a little bit comfortable with editing text files ..
This is not rocket science or programming and does not need a PhD, simply opening a text file and doing some minor adjustments there is something that is pretty easy to learn.

And your scanner is already contained in our udev rules for sane, filtering for the vendor/product ID in those rules:

[theresalouis@localhost ~]$ lsusb
[...]
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 04a9:173b Canon, Inc. PIXMA MP270 All-In-One Printer

[doktor5000@Mageia5]─[14:27:04]─[~] grep '04a9.*173b' /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="173b", MODE="0644", GROUP="usb", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

So you should have read access as regular user. Can't tell much more from remote with the information provided.

As an alternative you could try adding your user to the usb group to see whether that works. Check http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/5/en/content/userdrake.html
----
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Apr 23rd, '16, 17:03

Hi doktor5000,

Please take no offence. What editor do I open a text file in? This text file with the printer info to add the string to is found where exactly? Or is it a new file I have to create? Once created how do I save the contents into the directory? Need a start point so I can enter the strings. Userdrake accepts input but Xsane still won't recognise scanner.

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 23rd, '16, 17:11

madsaint wrote:What editor do I open a text file in?

Whatever editor you like, but you need to open it with root permissions. So in a terminal
su -

then enter your root password, and then start your favorite editor.

madsaint wrote:This text file with the printer info to add the string to is found where exactly?

Well, I've provided the full path to the file, so I don't get the question? File is located at /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules

madsaint wrote:Or is it a new file I have to create? Once created how do I save the contents into the directory? Need a start point so I can enter the strings.

What strings do you want to enter? I've already written that the rule for your scanner is contained in the sane udev rules, and you should have read access as regular user.

madsaint wrote:Userdrake accepts input but Xsane still won't recognise scanner.

What input did it accept? Please also post the output as regular user of
id
after logging out and back in after you changed your group membership.
----
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Apr 23rd, '16, 18:22

Hi doktor5000,

So I'm using xterm. I've entered Su -, entered my password, I'm in as root what do I enter next? Sorry but I do need the step by step, work pressures have got me in a bad place mentally. When you say start your favourite editor, could you give me an example, a name of a program. Then do I log out of xterm and start that program? It's the steps to take that I need to know and the order to take them. Hold my hand it's my first time.

Output to id following this message.

Regards
madsaint
madsaint

Postby madsaint » Apr 23rd, '16, 18:28

Hi doktor5000,

The output to id is
[theresalouis@localhost ~]$ id
uid=500(theresalouis) gid=500(theresalouis) groups=500(theresalouis),983(scanner)
[theresalouis@localhost ~]$

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby madsaint » Apr 24th, '16, 07:01

Hi doktor5000,

Sorry for the frustrated rant yesterday. I'll try again to make some sense.
So I have to log in as root, do I then enter /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules to open the file to add
[doktor5000@Mageia5]─[14:27:04]─[~] grep '04a9.*173b' /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="173b", MODE="0644", GROUP="usb", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"?

When you say open an editor, does that mean K write or something else? I've not had to do this before so I don't have a favourite.

What I need is the sequence of steps.
!. log in as root
2. Open editor. Which one?
3. ....
etc,etc.

I get the file location part, do I access it through Dolphin or through the editor(?) (open file or folder/drive)?

Btw when I say string, I mean rule (eg.)
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="173b", MODE="0644", GROUP="usb", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
Sorry for the wrong use of nomenclature.

Launching Xsane as user gets me Failed to open device PIXMA"04a9173b" Device is busy prompt. So no access as user.

Once again sorry for the rant. Thanks in advance for the sequence.

Regards,
madsaint
Last edited by doktor5000 on Apr 24th, '16, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code tags
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 24th, '16, 11:19

madsaint wrote:I'll try again to make some sense.
So I have to log in as root, do I then enter /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules to open the file to add

?

First you should try to read again what was replied to you. That line does not need to be added, it is already in there, this is what the above output shows.

And did you add yourself to the usb group yet via userdrake as suggested before? Seems not.

madsaint wrote:When you say open an editor, does that mean K write or something else? I've not had to do this before so I don't have a favourite.

What I need is the sequence of steps.
!. log in as root
2. Open editor. Which one?
3. ....
etc,etc.

Switch to root in a terminal using
su -
and then run any editor.
Like kwrite or vi. Maybe kwrite is easier to use for you. After logging in as root via su - try
kwrite /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules

and change that line mentioned to

ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="173b", MODE="0664", GROUP="usb", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

then save the file, exit kwrite and unplug and replug the scanner.
----
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Apr 27th, '16, 19:08

Hi doktor5000,

Third time lucky. The permissions have been changed and saved in UT8 codec. Is that right?
Anyway when I try to operate the scanner from Xsane I get;

[img]file:///home/theresalouis/Documents/Error%20Screen2.jpeg[/img]

Can we query the computer to know which it is?

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 27th, '16, 21:11

The permissions have been changed to what exactly?

And for the picture, you would need to upload it here. Below the forum editor (only available in Full editor, not via quick reply), switch to the tab "Upload attachment".
Upload your picture, then when finished, click in the editor window where you want your picture to display, and click the button "Place inline".
----
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Apr 27th, '16, 23:55

Hi doktor5000,

What I meant to say was that that the rule changes were made successfully, Don't know why I typed permissions.
Sorry for the failed jpeg transfer.
The error prompt reads;
No devices available
Possible reasons
1. There is possibly no devices supported by sane.
2. Supported devices are busy.
3. The permissions for the device file do not allow you to use it - try as root
4. The backend is not loaded by sane (man sane - dll)
5. The backend is not configured correctly (man sane - "backendsane")
6. Possibly there is more than one Sane version installed.

Don't know what to make of this, but I'll check 4. & 6.
Could use some help deciphering this. The printer still works fine.

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 28th, '16, 18:21

No need to check each single step. Did you replug the scanner yet, or better reboot after you changed the udev rule?
----
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Apr 28th, '16, 21:28

Hi doktor5000,

Yes the scanner was unplugged and replugged and the entire system was rebooted. I did it again and I still get the same prompt.

regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Previous

Return to Printers and Scanners