Do Brother rpm printer drivers work with Mageia?

Do Brother rpm printer drivers work with Mageia?

Postby jbarntt56 » Jan 16th, '16, 23:39

Hi,

My current printer isn't supported for Linux, (my bad for buying it.) In the past I've used inexpensive Brother laser printers, and they worked well. Anyone have experience using a Bother HL series printer with the Brother rpm based driver? I'm looking at the HL-L2300D, but I'm guessing if their rpm drivers work for other HL series printers, the one for the model I'm looking at will also.

Any advice appreciated. I'm not dead set on a Brother printer, so if there is a better option let me know.

I'm looking for a B&W laser printer, in the 100.00 USD price range, with USB, wired ethernet nice, but not required.

TIA

jbarntt56
jbarntt56

Re: Do Brother rpm printer drivers work with Mageia?

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 17th, '16, 00:43

Yes, they work pretty well.
For how to install their drivers easily, see e.g. viewtopic.php?p=61848#p61848

FWIW, what printer do you have currently?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jbarntt56 » Jan 17th, '16, 02:54

I've got a Samsung ML 2545, looks a lot like a Brother, but no support for Linux. A lot of Samsung printers do support Linux, but none of the drivers for the same printer family works with the 2545. When I bought it I was dual booting Windows and Linux. My new Pc, (as of last Summer), is Mageia 5 only, so the Samung printer is useless. I went throught Add printer setup, (Cups, I think), connection is via USB, and the printer was recognized, but could only install a generic Samsung driver, which doesn't work.

Bottom Line: The Samsung ML 2545 doesn't support Linux.

Good news: My wife wants my older, but still good, W7 PC, so she also gets the Samsung printer.

Thanks for the info on the Brother drivers, and the link.

Best Regards,

Joel
jbarntt56

Postby tarakbumba » Jan 19th, '16, 23:45

Did you try to install Samsung's uld drivers? I have an ml-2165 lazerjet printer and Samsung's uld driver works for me. Unfortunately, any other drivers provided by cups won't work. Give a try.. Here is the link: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owner ... L-2545/XAA
tarakbumba

Postby jbarntt56 » Jan 22nd, '16, 06:13

tarakbumba wrote:Did you try to install Samsung's uld drivers? I have an ml-2165 lazerjet printer and Samsung's uld driver works for me. Unfortunately, any other drivers provided by cups won't work. Give a try.. Here is the link: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owner ... L-2545/XAA

I installed the uld drivers, (thanks for the tip). When I print a test page via CUPS, the printer activates but nothing prints. Completed jobs show that CUPS sent the job. I tried to add myself as allowed to print to the printer, but it wants a username/password (a CUPS admin user I'd guess) I tried sudo'ing to lpadmin no luck and also lppasswd, not installed and not available in the repos.

Any advice, much appreciated, as I think I am close to getting the Samsung ML-2545 working.

TIA,

jbarnt56
jbarntt56

Postby tarakbumba » Jan 23rd, '16, 23:37

Did you tried to configure your printer via system-config-printer (MCC > Hardware >Printers) ? I added my printer via this way after uld drivers are installed.
tarakbumba

Return to Printers and Scanners