[SOLVED] xsane scanner hang, but otherwise works

[SOLVED] xsane scanner hang, but otherwise works

Postby leon244 » Jul 19th, '15, 20:14

I know there have been other threads, but they don't seem to address my problem.
I just upgraded to Mageia 5 and noted that on opening Xsane the search for the scanner is quite slow (maybe 3+ minutes). I don't think it is Mageia 5, but more likely a change on my ISP service and a change in IP addresses.

I have a Brother MFC_J6710DW multifunction printer/scanner. The printer works fine. The scanner works once Xsane finds it.
When I run strace scanimage -L, it hangs at the following line:
Code: Select all
connect(14, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(6566), sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.1.100")}, 16) = -1 ETIMEDOUT (Connection timed out)

specifically at the address "192.168.1.100". That was an address on my home network before the change in the ISP and no longer exists (which is why it hangs and times out). On all the computers the inet addresses have been changed and it is changed in all the /etc/host files on the computers.

I don't know where scanimage is picking up that address and can't figure out how to remove it. It is the old address for my machine, but I don't know where else it might be stored.
Thanks for any help or advice.
leon244

Re: [SOLVED] xsane scanner hang, but otherwise works

Postby leon244 » Jul 19th, '15, 21:40

I finally found what I needed in /etc/sane.d/saned.conf and net.conf. Both had the IP address as entries so I removed them.
I then lost the scanner for a while but reinstalled with the linux-bprinter-installer-2.0.0-1 which upgraded the scanner driver.
It now works as it should.
leon244

Re: xsane scanner hang, but otherwise works

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 19th, '15, 21:56

Might help if you first explain your basic network setup, as that comment on /etc/hosts and ISP changing IP adresses sounds weird.
(192.168. are not routable and hence not assigned directly by ISP, maybe by your router's DHCP server).
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] xsane scanner hang, but otherwise works

Postby leon244 » Jul 20th, '15, 23:12

Wow, I though I had replied to you doktor. You are correct and I misspoke. The issue was a router change. The ISP provided a new router which used different addresses when providing via its server. I am sure there is a more elegant solution than the one I chose, but then I would not classify myself as a knowledgable computer person. I get by and do what I can; my solutions are workable, but not usually elegant. Since the IP was no longer existing, I needed to remove the reference in the config files. With that all is well.
leon244

Return to Printers and Scanners