Disappearing desktop icons

Re: Disappearing desktop icons

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 23rd, '15, 21:17

Seems this issue has been reported as https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13311 and there's a fix upstream, although only with 4.14.2
I'll try to have a look into backporting that for 4.12.5.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby mla » Mar 24th, '15, 00:39

Splendid! Thanks...
mla

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 28th, '15, 22:43

FWIW, if you test with latest mga5 packages and your issue still exists, the patch won't help.

Apart from that, as I've already migrated my main workstation to cauldron, it's not easily possible to build this for mga4. Maybe I'll try in a VM.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 28th, '15, 23:25

Or not: just pushed kdebase4-4.12.5-1.2.mga4 to core/updates_testing.
Please test and provide feedback, as I can't test myself currently.
----
doktor5000

Postby mla » Mar 30th, '15, 12:28

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I force its installation?I have added core updates testing to the media list, but that seems to have no effect.
mla

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 30th, '15, 20:22

Did you enable it, update it and mark it as an update media?
I'd say best run drakrpm-update and select only the KDE-relevant updates.
----
doktor5000

Postby mla » Mar 31st, '15, 10:42

Used the Control Center to mark it as enabled, but it won't let me tick the update check-box. Clicking on it has no effect.
mla

Postby mla » Mar 31st, '15, 10:44

Ah... OK... I hadn't realised I had to use the File menu option to open the updates window. Not exactly intuitive, what? :-) But no... Having updated the media, still can't tick the update box and doing the system update says there is nothing to update.
mla

Postby jkerr82508 » Mar 31st, '15, 12:45

To mark a testing repo as an updates repo, you need to run in a root terminal:
Code: Select all
drakrpm-editmedia --expert

Note that after doing so Mageia update will offer all of the packages in the testing repo as updates.

It is not necessary to mark the testing repo as an updates repo , if you use rpmdrake (Install & Remove Software). It will offer the packages in the enabled testing repo as updates. Change the first drop-down filter to "All updates" and select Graphical Desktop > KDE. The new package(s) will have a blue icon to the right of the entry.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby mla » Mar 31st, '15, 17:09

Thanks. Testing updates now enabled and indeed I get offered all test packages. But... what "drop down filter"? I may be blind, I search a I might, I can find no drop down menus of any kind on that window offering me the packages to update. Just the Help, Select All, Update and Quit buttons. Am I looking at a wrong window?
mla

Postby jkerr82508 » Mar 31st, '15, 18:24

I was referring to rpmdrake AKA "Install and Remove Software"
http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/4/en/content/rpmdrake.html

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby mla » Mar 31st, '15, 19:48

So you did. I may not be blind, but occasionally I can't read. :-) Have updated -- thanks!
mla

Postby mla » Mar 31st, '15, 20:04

Well, I have bad news, I am afraid. Having updated from the testing media, I logged out and logged in again. All seemed OK. So I switched to Default Desktop and noted that it still had the same background image as the Folder View. So I changed the background to solid colour and switched back to Folder View. Guess what? My icons are still there, but all sotred by name on the left hand side and no "unsorted" option on either of the two pull-down menus for icon sorting. :-( Yet looking at my plasma-desktop-appletsrc, I observe "sortColumn=-1".

This, BTW, on the machine which previously did NOT have icons problems. Haven't had a chance to try it on the one that did (it's in use by my better half :-)).

NB: "Align to grid" setting got uset too.
mla

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 31st, '15, 21:26

The patch added is not supposed to change anything about the sorting of the icons, please don't mix this with the original topic.
See viewtopic.php?p=55829#p55829 for the bug report and also the KDE bugreport linked there.
----
doktor5000

Postby mla » Mar 31st, '15, 22:42

Erm... In the original topic (mine, as it happens) I was reporting both disappearance of icons *and* their re-sorting once one foced their re-appearance. It seems rather strange that the machine which previously exhibited no icons problems suddenly should statr exhibiting the second half of it, once the testing update is installed.
mla

Previous

Return to Video