X freezes with Radeon HD 4350 AGP

X freezes with Radeon HD 4350 AGP

Postby drthrd » Jun 26th, '11, 01:06

I followed the instructions from here http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Mandriva.

Re-configure graphics card using XFdrake configuration utility (in the Mandriva Control Center, go to Hardware then Set up the graphical server). Select the proprietary driver when offered the choice. Restart the system.

I restarted and now X freezes well I assume it freezes, X starts I see a cursor and that it. Numlock, Capslock does not work.

xorg.conf

Code: Select all
# File generated by XFdrake (rev 262502)
# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the xorg.conf man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "layout1"
   Screen      0  "screen1" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load  "v4l" # Video for Linux
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
 # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
    #DontZoom # disable <Ctrl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
   Option       "DontZap" "False" # disable <Ctrl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
   Option       "allowmouseopenfail"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "monitor1"
   VendorName   "Plug'n Play"
   ModelName    "Acer S231HL"
   HorizSync    30.0 - 80.0
   VertRefresh  50.0 - 75
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "device1"
   Driver      "fglrx"
   VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
   BoardName   "ATI Radeon HD 2000 and later (radeon/fglrx)"
   Option       "DPMS"
   BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "screen1"
   Device     "device1"
   Monitor    "monitor1"
   DefaultDepth     24
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth     24
      Modes    "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "640x480" "480x360" "320x240"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

I have tried messing with APG AGP Fast Write, AGP Aperture size, nomodeset etc... I am about to give up on linux and ATI cards lol.
drthrd

Re: X freezes with Radeon HD 4350 AGP

Postby broadstairs » Jun 26th, '11, 08:51

Well I have an HD4350 card and it works fine with the ATI drivers. I installed Mageia and it uses the free driver by default which did give some errors on boot but the system came up. I then added the repositories and next configured the X system which gave me the option to use the ATI drivers, I clicked OK and let it install everything, after this I made sure I had the 24 bit colour depth set for the monitor (leaving this out can cause problems). I then re-booted (not logout/in) and it all came up fine. So they do work.

Stuart
broadstairs

Postby drthrd » Jun 26th, '11, 19:18

I erased my Xorg log file and here is the last log file with using fglrx. And I also have my latest xorg.config. What other log file do you need?

I got Ext2Fsd and deleted the Xorg log file and rebooted into Mageia then went back into Windows. No Xorg log file was created. Here is the end of my syslog

Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: device-mapper: ioctl: 4.19.1-ioctl (2011-01-07) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 921 MBytes.
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: [fglrx]   vendor: 1002 device: 954f count: 1
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: [fglrx] ioport: bar 1, base 0xd800, size: 0x100
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: PCI: Disallowing DAC for device
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: [fglrx] Kernel PAT support is enabled
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.85.6 [Apr 19 2011] with 1 minors
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: EXT3-fs (sda6): using internal journal
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: fuse init (API version 7.16)
Jun 26 14:35:38 localhost kernel: Adding 3582456k swap on /dev/sda7.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:3582456k
Jun 26 14:35:39 localhost polkitd[941]: started daemon version 0.101 using authority implementation `local' version `0.101'
Jun 26 14:35:40 localhost acpid: client connected from 1011[494:494]
Jun 26 14:35:40 localhost acpid: 1 client rule loaded
Attachments
log.zip
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
drthrd

Postby drthrd » Jul 5th, '11, 07:18

Installed the kernel source and it worked. I loaded agpgart as a module. How can you load agpgart as a module without the source?
drthrd

Postby djennings » Jul 8th, '11, 13:46

drthrd wrote:Installed the kernel source and it worked. I loaded agpgart as a module. How can you load agpgart as a module without the source?

I do not understand what you are saying here. How does installing the kernel-source allow you to load the agpgart module? How can installing kernel-source make something work that did not work before? And why do you think you need agpgart at all?

And from your original post
drthrd wrote:I followed the instructions from here http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Mandriva.

Those instructions are from 2008. I hope you did not follow its advice and set up plf sources and run the ATI driver installer. Mageia does not need plf and the ATI driver included with Mageia works perfectly well AFAIK. It worked "out of the box" for my HD 4250.
djennings

Postby drthrd » Jul 8th, '11, 16:24

djennings wrote:
drthrd wrote:Installed the kernel source and it worked. I loaded agpgart as a module. How can you load agpgart as a module without the source?

I do not understand what you are saying here. How does installing the kernel-source allow you to load the agpgart module? How can installing kernel-source make something work that did not work before? And why do you think you need agpgart at all?

When I compiled the kernel, I compiled with AGP support as modules. I think I need agpgart because my video card is a AGP card and that is the only thing that works after trying different distros. The default kernel does not configure AGP support as modules.

Default kernel config
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_ALI=y
CONFIG_AGP_ATI=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA=y
CONFIG_AGP_SIS=y
CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_AGP_EFFICEON=y

My kernel config

CONFIG_AGP=m
CONFIG_AGP_ALI=m
CONFIG_AGP_ATI=m
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=m
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=m
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m
CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA=m
CONFIG_AGP_SIS=m
CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS=m
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=m
CONFIG_AGP_EFFICEON=m

djennings wrote:
drthrd wrote:And from your original post
I followed the instructions from here http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Mandriva.

djennings wrote:Those instructions are from 2008. I hope you did not follow its advice and set up plf sources and run the ATI driver installer. Mageia does not need plf and the ATI driver included with Mageia works perfectly well AFAIK. It worked "out of the box" for my HD 4250.

I followed the top part

Installation from PLF third party repository

Set up PLF non-free repository on your system. Use Easy URPMI or Smart URPMI to generate an urpmi.addmedia command to run at a console as root. See Mandriva Wiki for more instructions on running commands as root.

Using Mandriva software installation tools - either rpmdrake or urpmi - install the packages dkms-ati and ati (some other packages will probably be pulled in as dependencies). See Mandriva Wiki for more instructions on installing packages.

Re-configure graphics card using XFdrake configuration utility (in the Mandriva Control Center, go to Hardware then Set up the graphical server). Select the proprietary driver when offered the choice. Restart the system.

Since this is Mageia, Mageia uses their own repositories. Core, Nonfree, and Tainted. You have to use the Nonfree or Tainted, not sure which to get the proprietary driver. As far as the ATI driver that is on the install dvd, it does not work for me. I get just blank screen. This is when I keep the driver it picks during installation. I pick another driver to get X to work.

What does this mean exactly

Note: If a Linux 2.6.11 or newer kernel was built with
CONFIG_AGP enabled, the kernel AGP frontend is required to load
the fglrx kernel module. To identify whether your kernel was built
with CONFIG_AGP enabled, look for CONFIG_AGP=y in the
kernel config file, or if the 'agpgart' module is loaded.

http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/Catalyst_1 ... taller.pdf

People say they get their AMD/ATI card to work but they do not say if their card is AGP, PCI or PCIE. I am trying to get a AGP card to work with a AGP motherboard. After several distros and spending a lot of time trying a lot of different things and doing a lot of searching the only thing that works is having AGP support in the kernel configured as modules. What information is needed to find out what exactly is the problem? What logs etc...?
drthrd

Postby djennings » Jul 8th, '11, 18:45

OK. I understand now. You have it working with a custom kernel, but not with the stock Mageia kernel.
Your video card is not uncommon so if agpgart was required as a module I would expect to see more results from a google search. The only results I find are from 2008.

Maybe we should take a step backwards and check you actually have the fglrx module compiled correctly by dkms for your kernel.
What do you get if you do
dkms status
djennings

Postby drthrd » Jul 8th, '11, 19:16

djennings wrote:OK. I understand now. You have it working with a custom kernel, but not with the stock Mageia kernel.
Your video card is not uncommon so if agpgart was required as a module I would expect to see more results from a google search. The only results I find are from 2008.

Maybe we should take a step backwards and check you actually have the fglrx module compiled correctly by dkms for your kernel.
What do you get if you do
dkms status

I get
fglrx, 8.850-3.mga1, 2.6.38.7-desktop-1.mga, i586: installed
drthrd

Postby djennings » Jul 8th, '11, 22:22

So the module has compiled OK.
I assume you have the correct xorg driver installed. Plus dmesg will show the progress of the module loading. Here is mine.
# rpm -q x11-driver-video-fglrx
x11-driver-video-fglrx-8.850-3.mga1
# dmesg | grep fglrx
fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 3552 MBytes.
[fglrx]   vendor: 1002 device: 9715 count: 1
[fglrx] ioport: bar 1, base 0xd000, size: 0x100
[fglrx] Kernel PAT support is enabled
[fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.85.6 [Apr 19 2011] with 1 minors
[fglrx] GART Table is not in FRAME_BUFFER range
[fglrx] Could not enable MSI; System prevented initialization
[fglrx] Firegl kernel thread PID: 1933
[fglrx] Firegl kernel thread PID: 1934
[fglrx] Firegl kernel thread PID: 1935
[fglrx] IRQ 18 Enabled
[fglrx] Gart USWC size:1160 M.
[fglrx] Gart cacheable size:459 M.
[fglrx] Reserved FB block: Shared offset:0, size:1000000
[fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:fffb000, size:5000

The xorg.conf you attached earlier looks OK except you do not have a "DefaultColorDepth 24 " statement in the Screen section as per the advice by broadstairs.
The Xorg0.log file was corrupted I could not read it.
djennings

Postby drthrd » Jul 16th, '11, 18:21

Sorry for not responding sooner, I have been away. I do not think X ever starts. When I deleted the Xorg log file in MS Windows and restart back into Mageia and get the freeze from using the fglrx driver and go back into MS Windows the Xorg log file is not there. So X freezes to fast to make a log file or X never even starts.
drthrd

Postby drthrd » Jul 17th, '11, 17:43

Installed Mageia again. Installed the driver then edited the xorg.config file and added DefaultColorDepth 24 to the Screen section. I then rebooted and to my surprise the login screen showed up by everything froze. Hit the reset switch and went back into Mageia and Mageia frooze before the login screen. I did look down and seen that the floppy light was on. I never noticed the floppy light on before so I do not know if this is the same action as before.
drthrd

Postby Lebarhon » Jul 17th, '11, 19:16

Hi,

Did you see the bugs 1105 and 1059 ?
Lebarhon

Postby drthrd » Jul 17th, '11, 21:12

No but I just looked at https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1105. That would explain why I have to choose a different driver when I install Mageia. The driver Mageia picks during the installation does not work for me. As far as x and/or the computer freezing that happens with the proprietary driver.
drthrd

Postby drthrd » Jul 21st, '11, 18:45

No more ideas on how to get my card to work with the proprietary drivers without having agp support as modules?
drthrd

Postby Lebarhon » Jul 21st, '11, 22:13

Have a look at the MIB repositories, I found here better drivers (more recent ?) than in the official one.
Lebarhon

Postby wobo » Jul 21st, '11, 23:47

Lebarhon wrote:Have a look at the MIB repositories, I found here better drivers (more recent ?) than in the official one.

For Mageia, really?
That's surprising. Last time I read something by MIB they showed a "no Mageia" icon (rugyada's posts in the Mandriva forum) :) Well, nice if they have made up their minds.

Although, if they do more recent packages for Mageia it would be good if they offer them for the Mageia repos rather than a 3rd party place.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby Lebarhon » Jul 22nd, '11, 23:26

wobo wrote:For Mageia, really?

Not for Mageia, for Mandriva 2010.2, but I think the Mageia1 drivers for ATI are the same that the Mandriva ones.

I saw the "no Mageia" icon, I don't understand this strange behavior that doesn't meet the Open Source philosophy.
Lebarhon

Return to Video