Lots of video atefacts

Lots of video atefacts

Postby broadstairs » Jun 14th, '11, 09:32

Since installing Mageia and adding the ATI drivers for my HD4350 gfx card I now find that I have lots of video artefacts appearing. Sometimes they appear where a menu is going to appear just prior to the menu displaying, plus at running any of the leave options the background to the confirmation popup can be either garbage or the last application screen which was run prior to the action. This is not actually affecting the use of the system but it does distract as you obviously wonder if something might be going wrong and it does not look very professional.

Do others see anything like this? Is it a known problem and if so is it being resolved? Is there anything I can do testing wise to help diagnose?

Stuart
broadstairs

Re: Lots of video atefacts

Postby blupingu » Jun 15th, '11, 00:57

Hi broadstairs - I'm new here and fairly new to KDE, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to be of much help. But I also have an ATI card and was experiencing the same kind of problems on a fresh Mageia install. When I first installed the proprietary driver I would also get things like menu artifacts, window decorations showing up as garbage, etc. What I found was that desktop effects were not enabled by default. Going to System Settings>Desktop Effects and checking the box "Enable desktop effects" and then clicking "Apply" got rid of all the weird behavior for me. Seeing as I'm a noob, YMMV, but it did work in my case.
blupingu

Postby ahmad » Jun 15th, '11, 04:28

Which driver is used? the output of:
Code: Select all
grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf

should tell.
ahmad

Postby broadstairs » Jun 15th, '11, 08:57

In my case it is fglrx and yes as suggested turning on desktop effects does reduce these artefacts, but they are still occasionally visible briefly when a menu pops up, however last night when I shutdown the PC the screen behaved as it should dimming the desktop when the confirmation appears.

Stuart
broadstairs

Postby barjac » Jun 15th, '11, 16:25

Add this icon to your KDE desktop - save as "About.desktop" http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=X10X1Ype
barjac

Return to Video