[SOLVED] Setting up Drak3d

[SOLVED] Setting up Drak3d

Postby Garthhh » Jun 10th, '11, 18:16

The packages seemed to install at start up
I check the box for compizfusion 3d effects & get set back to the same screen after logging back in?
what's my next step
Sorry my Experience doesn't meet your Expectations, I'll try Harder in the Future
Garthhh

Re: Setting up Drak3d

Postby ahmad » Jun 10th, '11, 19:51

You try to log in, you get the drak3d window; you try to log in again and get the same drak3d window, is that right?

If that's the case, make sure to select the desktop environment you want to log into from the session type menu on the login screen.
ahmad

Postby Garthhh » Jun 11th, '11, 03:01

I'm on a VirtualBox & did the initial install as a regular Gnome DE
I have several clones [appliances] that are changed to KDE, XCFE, enlightment DE's that all run fine
I just installed the 3d compiz fusion packages & have the usual wobbly windows in Gnome
I'm just felling my way along here :D
& trying to understand what the difference is...
Sorry my Experience doesn't meet your Expectations, I'll try Harder in the Future
Garthhh

Postby djennings » Jun 12th, '11, 12:34

You mean you are selecting 'drak3D' in the Desktop Environment selector menu on the log in page?

Yes What you are seeing is normal. The drak3d entry is there simply to allow you to set up 3D effects for use in other Desktops. It is not a Desktop itself. It means if you screw up your 3D settings and cannot log in you can always get in to reset them.
Similarly there are some applications such as MythTV that have entries in the log in menu. They exist so you can launch directly into the application without going to a desktop at all.
djennings

Postby Garthhh » Jun 12th, '11, 15:47

Thanks
Now I understand
I'm just learning all the little ins & outs :D
Garthhh

Return to Video