Problem with ATI driver on install

Problem with ATI driver on install

Postby broadstairs » May 19th, '11, 13:40

A little while ago I downloaded the last beta dvd and installed it. Although I got no errors when I did this when it booted I had 100's of message scrolling by which were very hard to read but I think it was complaining about my ATI Radeon HD4350 driver. I could get it to boot in the end by hitting escape.A while later I then found RC1 was released and a thread suggested I could update, so using the repos I updated (600+ packages) and then went through setup of the graphics card which installed the latest fglrx drivers (which I use live on my Mandriva system). It now boots error free. I could not find anything which related directly when searching but do wonder if this might be a known issue and fixed if I did a fresh install having downloaded the full dvd again but for RC1.

Stuart
broadstairs

Re: Problem with ATI driver on install

Postby mikala » May 19th, '11, 14:44

If i'm not wrong fglrx is not available by default on dvd, so you will have to install/configure it later.
Regarding the message it can simply be the verbose boot process (without plymouth ) so without for example a picture it's going to be difficult to know if it's really a bug.
mikala

Postby broadstairs » May 19th, '11, 21:36

Sorry but I think I did not explain well.... I did not expect fglrx to install, but the free driver installed from dvd but gave problems. Once I had installed fglrx from repos after install the boot process no longer gave me errors. So it was the free ATI driver which did not work correctly at least not with my HD4350 card. I'll see if I can find the error messages from an old boot prior to installing fglrx.

Stuart
broadstairs

Postby HermesLaws » May 19th, '11, 23:36

Had the same scrolling with the new RC
something about "radeondrmfb vs VESA drivers" then Genetic driver remove
then the scrolling with "failed to allocate"

now i have a new problem after installing fglrx i get at boot a error message window text saying i should add "nokmsboot" to the bootlable, but how?, now i see mageia has no cfg where i found the boot menu that i see ^^ its fascinating.

+

i cant use the "Test"-Option under Mageia-Control everytime i try a setup, at the 15 sec cooldown message, no matter which i choose i get no display :/ ATI 2000er driver is in use got 4650 i think ;) with the right command i can tell you the rest.

What makes me crazy is not finding the boot menu, got still the install.sh in /boot/grub/ is that okay ? :)

+
found something funny
menu.lst.example

## Default Mandriva entry, it may be different from yours:
title linux
kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID= resume=UUID= splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd.img
HermesLaws

Postby germulvey » Jul 1st, '11, 19:56

after i installed ati fglrx driver in desktop and rebooted it starts then black screen and does nothing :(
germulvey

Postby broadstairs » Jul 1st, '11, 21:48

When you install the fglrx drivers you must set a colour depth in monitor settings before you exit and reboot. It does not like not having a colour depth. I set mine to 16million or 24bit. I think it should boot to command line mode and you can reconfigure there.

Stuart
broadstairs

Postby germulvey » Jul 2nd, '11, 01:31

still throws me a curve - got to desktop after clearing xorg.conf and nomodeset but can't get the fglrx to set radeon/fglrx 24 bit depth.
I have a radeon 6790 which works fine with pcloinuxos 2011.6

FIXED!
it seems there are no defualt mirrors setup after install. Once done I was offered the driver after which all went smootly!!
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Stuart.
germulvey

Return to Video