Video Downloader TarTube not working [SOLVED]

Video Downloader TarTube not working [SOLVED]

Postby xboxboy » Jan 10th, '22, 00:44

Hi guys, I used to use YT downloader with the GUI and it worked perfect: But the underlying scripting language has been dropped in Mageia 8 if I understand correctly, and tartube is the replacement.

I simply can't get it to save a video.

I use the classic interface.

i set download folder to /home/xboxboyuser/tartube-data

Add video, then click download: Straight up I get the operation finished box:

Then in the errors/warnings tab I get

Code: Select all
09:09:49 (video with no name) Download did not start

The output tab shows

Code: Select all
/usr/bin/youtube-dlc --newline -i --hls-prefer-native -o /home/matthew/tartube-data/%(title)s.%(ext)s --write-description --write-info-json --write-annotations --write-thumbnail --cookies /home/matthew/tartube-data/cookies.txt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg-6lz50-Tw

I'm completely lost at this point.

TIA.
Last edited by xboxboy on Jan 14th, '22, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
xboxboy

Re: Video Downloader TarTube not working

Postby sturmvogel » Jan 10th, '22, 08:25

Tartube is only a gui without an underlying downloader (see also https://github.com/axcore/tartube#installation). Thats why when you first start tartube you get a question which of the downloaders you want to use. You have to chose youtube-dl as it is shipped with Mageia. And it seems that you have chosen yt-dlp. You can delete your tartube settings (so that you get the downloader question again) by removing /home/*yourusernamehere*/.config/tartube

Side note: Since youtube-dl-gui was dropped i'm using Clipgrab from our Mageia 8 repos. It works out-of-the-box without fiddling around. It has a built-in youtube search function and is way better (for me). I recommend to use Clipgrab.
sturmvogel

Re: Video Downloader TarTube not working

Postby xboxboy » Jan 14th, '22, 15:38

Sturmvogel, thank you!

Just tried it then: Removed the file/directory you said: Restarted tartube, and away it went!

Thank you, thank you.

Might check clipgrab, but I'm content with what I've got again.
xboxboy

Return to Video