lightdm wont start at boot any more after install virtualbox

lightdm wont start at boot any more after install virtualbox

Postby Phlox » Oct 4th, '21, 21:57

So I was trying to figure out how to run mageia as server without the desktop stuff so I installed virtualbox and downloaded the network installer to see if I needed to go that route.

The installer pulled in virtualbox with a newer kernel and what not and after rebooting it boots into the console with mouse working.

I can manually start lightdm by logging into the console with sudo service lightdm start and that starts lightdm. Even startx works.

I looked in Mageia Control Center -> System - > Manage system services by enabling of disabling them
and its On boot is selected.

But it doesn't start on boot. I have to manually start it.

After manually starting it I can log into XFCE and everything looks okay.

Something broke the auto start at boot of lightdm when virtualbox was installed.

I de-installed virtualbox and all other newer kernel stuff but it still not starts lightdm at boot :|

And it keeps saying in MCC that it is enabled at start at boot.

Anybody got a clue how to fix this?
“Without freedom of choice there is no creativity.” — Captain Kirk
Phlox

Re: lightdm wont start at boot any more after install virtua

Postby sturmvogel » Oct 4th, '21, 23:13

You could check under MCC -> Boot -> Autologin that the graphical environment is automatically startet.
sturmvogel

Re: lightdm wont start at boot any more after install virtua

Postby Phlox » Oct 5th, '21, 09:26

sturmvogel wrote:You could check under MCC -> Boot -> Autologin that the graphical environment is automatically startet.

In MCC -> Boot -> Set up autologin to automatically log in: "Launch the graphical environment when your system starts."

It wasn't enabled. After enabling it and reboot lightdm started again. Big thanks @sturmvogel for pointing that out :!:

Now two questions come to mind;

1) Why was this setting disabled after virtualbox installation?

2) Why is the setting "Launch the graphical environment when your system starts." in MCC -> Boot - > "Set up autologin to automatically log in" and not in the more appropriate place MMC -> Boot -> "Set up display manager"?

I would have never looked in "Set up autologin to automatically log in" because I totally not expected it to be in there.
“Without freedom of choice there is no creativity.” — Captain Kirk
Phlox

Return to Video